Japan in July - how stupid is the idea?

cavaaller

I would like to ask for input from someone who has experienced this itinerary first hand:

I heard that the ideal time to see Asia (Japan) would be spring or fall but my only option is July/August or December (no cruises to Japan then).

Now I read that not only will it be unbearably hot and humid but it is also mosquito time - which should probably tell me that it is a stupid idea but

I just cannot let go of this cruise...

The itinerary would be Yokohama - Shimizu - Osaka _ kochi - Hiroshima - Busan - Aomori.

Please tell me:  how unbearable is unbearably hot? Can it be compared to the weather in the Caribbean? Are the mosquitos a threat?

Thank you in advance for any input you can give me!

I ask this question in the Celebrity forum because the cruise is on Millennium

We were there on the Diamond Princess this past July and the temps ranged in the high 80s most of the time, with the dewpoint usually in the high 70s to low 80s. Yes, it was hot and humid. But we were on excursions at each stop and inside most of the time, so not a big deal. But then, we're from Alabama where hot and humid in the summertime is the norm. You can see my Live From thread for that cruise in my below signature area.

• Thanks 1

I’m going in July due to kids school breaks. If the choice is to go or not go the answer is an easy one for me.  Also, having just did the Med this summer with temps 105+ it was totally fine. Hot?  Absolutely!  But it’s vacation so go at your own pace. Now working outside in that heat is a different story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been to Japan 5 times. The first 2 times were during summer in Tokyo. Twice were on cruises, but different itineraries from what you are looking into.

August is warmer compared to July, based on my personal experience in Tokyo. I found the temperature warm but bearable.

I do not recall having problems with mosquitos. I enjoy trail hiking and during my first 2 visits, I did venture away from Tokyo for hiking, and did not experience mosquitos.

I find Japan a lovely destination to explore. I use this website to check average historic weather information to help me make decisions on when and where to travel: https://www.climatemps.com/

Hope this helps. Happy planning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cavaaller said:

@villauk I read about the mosquitos in a German travelblog (https://wanderweib.de/tipps-wann-du-nach-japan-reisen-solltest/#Juli).

Can you tell me about your experience from last year ? You say it was "bad" but the fact that you are going again seems to indicate that it was not unbearable??

No, we didn’t go to Japan last year. I was referring to the news reports regarding the extreme heat last year. The tour guides we have booked for 2024 also mentioned how unbearably hot last August was. One even asked us if it was possible to move our booking from August to later in the year!

I went to Japan last June. I don’t remember any mosquitos, but it was very humid. I think it would be a little different being on a cruise ship, but I was pretty gross and sweaty most of the time. I walked over 10 miles a day, and Japan doesn’t have a lot of public seating. I was hot and tired! That said, I definitely don’t regret the trip. We had to go in summer because my child was in high school. If I went back, I would probably not choose summer months. But if those are the only dates that work for you, I wouldn’t let it stop you. We weren’t on any tour so if we’d been shuttled around in tour buses I’m sure I’d have been less sweaty. But I think I would have seen a lot less. Plus, the Shinkansen is cool! 

I heard that July and August are even “worse” for humidity. I’d liken it to Florida humidity. The up side was that everything was cheaper. 

Edited by roxannex
  • Thanks 2

Agree with everything said here.  It will be hot.  But from my recollection there was only one day that I found it to be TOO hot. And we were touring a park so we just found shade.  So I think it goes back to you and your tolerance for heat and then make a decision from there.  We are all saying it's not too hot "for us".  Can decide that for you.  Enjoy.  It is so beautiful there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roxannex said:

I went to Japan last June. I don’t remember any mosquitos, but it was very humid.

We are going at the end of May/return on 8th June. I had considered the mid-May sailing but wanted to let it 'warm up a bit' - which I may regret!

• Thanks 1

We are going on the July 14th cruise from Yokohama because my wife is a high school teacher and this is the only time we can go.  We’ve done Disneyworld in August and we are expecting the same type of weather.  Basically going early in the morning and planning afternoons indoors as much as possible.  We did a cruise last August to Mexico and really had a tough time in port so we are better prepared this time with cooling rags and other methods.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1