Panama Canal on the Ruby Princess 2023 Christmas cruise-photo/ video journal by Bimmer09

Bimmer09

Yes I took full advantage of the room service when we came back hot and exhausted and ravenous from an excursion. Also for early breakfasts before early excursions. It’s a dream with the Medallion app, no charge, no tipping, fast, and freshly prepared. Minimal human contact, my favorite morning mode. I maintain my balcony is the nicest dining locale on the ship, so why not take advantage of it. The menu is limited but more than adequate. The coffee of course is undrinkable so I don’t even order it, just stop by IC on my way off the ship. 

Edited by Deck Chair Queen
  • Like 9

On 1/4/2024 at 10:01 AM, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I am wondering, You stated,  Back again after a normal length sleep. Help will arrive in the form of Paxlovid today. Where were we?.

Does this mean that you had Covid and needed to tske the Paxlovid?

This wasn’t a “live from”. He didn’t knowingly have Covid and continue his cruise. He had it when he returned. 

(Sorry all, I think this poster thought differently)

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

This wasn’t a “live from”. He didn’t knowingly have Covid and continue his cruise. He had it when he returned. 

(Sorry all, I think this poster thought differently)

Yes, I puzzled about that until I realized it wasn’t live, it is an after action report…. EM

On 1/5/2024 at 10:24 AM, Bimmer09 said:

Thank you.

I am fine with and in fact prefer/ welcome interaction with people reading this as I am here to answer questions based on my own experience. There's no hijacking. I also welcome criticism, opinions if they differ or parallel mine.

In that case.... 😉

Do you like the R6MII and what lenses did you use? (I'm going to buy a new camera and at least one lens for my Panama Canal trip next year.)

12 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Up ahead Carol had stopped at a little stall to buy some coffee that had been recommended by the port lecturer on the ship. She paid $30 for the 1lb bag below (same on Amazon she says)

We each gave it a critical taste test once we came home to Chicago. Expectations were indeed high. It found its way into the trash can that morning. 

Score on the Flavo-meter....barely recognizable as a coffee-oriented beverage. 

It IS a coffee Experience Beyond Compare-I'll grant them that!! Avoid.

Good reviews for this coffee on Amazon, but costs way more than 30 dollars. Maybe, the bag was surrounding a different coffee bean?

Rip off products are common when the seller knows you won't likely be around to complain.

13 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Nancy re the smoking- you may have missed the "Hospital stay ending" of my Celebrity Apex review.

Norris

Loved following your review - got lots of great ideas!

So glad you recovered well from the pneumonia - thank goodness you are not smoking!  🥰

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, I puzzled about that until I realized it wasn’t live, it is an after action report…. EM

I too was a bit confused - then realized the same!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MacMadame said:

In that case.... 😉

Do you like the R6MII and what lenses did you use? (I'm going to buy a new camera and at least one lens for my Panama Canal trip next year.)

Hi, great reviews abound on the R6MII. I've had my Canon since July 2017 and am sticking with it. I need to improve, my camera doesn't. I have 3 lenses that I used on the Ruby, all Canon L lenses and all F4. F2.8 costs and isn't needed for non-portrait stuff that I shoot. Bokeh is the last thing I need. I did rent a Canon 70-200mm F2.8 for Star Princess to Alaska 2016 and loved how much light it could take in.Heavy.Big.

Most of my  Ruby pics were 24-70mm, some 70-200mm and a posse of 16-35mm for ship interiors. A 40mm prime went unused. The only good lens I left at home is a Zeiss Distagon 21mm which I love but wide angle already covered by 16-35 Canon.

In Iceland I had taken another Canon-my first- T3i so had two loaded with L lenses so I could switch between wide and zoom. 

Whichever Body and lens you choose you can be sure that when you post your photos on CC the resolution will be sapped from them. I start off with 30Mb RAW files, Flicker J-Pegs them to 3Mb then CC adds a layer of breadcrumbs and some fog.

Norris

• Like 1

We are chilling on our aft balcony in Ocho Rios

aft(1of1).thumb.jpg.62967b58ca998c52ef203b33bb4891e1.jpg

Extreme Right, 2 decks above Ruby Princess name. Center of that deck has no cabins.

We have been enjoying our gift

A4551C90-5A2C-415B-9724-16D42A90D729.thumb.jpeg.7e4600bf9d4a9cf6d2eda8485b8e9307.jpeg

EEDBBBF6-461F-4ED8-B57F-D6B8A8D0111D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6c5e47b4e5fbc8d857f1506480d3fcfd.jpeg

It's "Magic Light" time and people are heading back to the ship. We're leaving at 5.30

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Good reviews for this coffee on Amazon, but costs way more than 30 dollars. Maybe, the bag was surrounding a different coffee bean?

Rip off products are common when the seller knows you won't likely be around to complain.

To clarify: I paid $30 for an eight ounce bag of beans in a stall at the cruise terminal. This is roughly equivalent to the price on Amazon, depending on the vendor, quantity purchased, and shipping terms. It was weak and flavorless. I used to love Blue Mountain coffee until I met Illy. I don’t believe I was ripped off with counterfeit coffee beans. 

Edited by Deck Chair Queen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrSchwump said:

So was there any issue with you boarding the ship being positive for COVID? Were you required to wear a mask or take any other efforts to minimize the chance of spreading it? Not casting judgement, just curious. 

This is NOT a Live From thread...he got COVID symptoms after he got home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

THIS IS NOT A LIVE THREAD

Here are some of the clues...

The first page has photos of each place on the Itinerary-not something you can furnish on day 1. This was my first time in the Panama Canal.

It is written in the past tense

The video of our ship sailing away on December 20 from PE was shown to you earlier this week in January. Not live therefore.

I had a Covid-Free experience on the Ruby Dec 20-30.

I flew home Dec 31

I felt ill Jan 1 and 2

I tested Positive Jan 3

I am recovering with drugs

Norris

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Ocho Rios came through for us in a pinch and the soft gentle warm rain didn't ruin our day. We have to leave as we have a long haul to Cartagena.

DrNO(1of1).thumb.jpg.23b44cf41454bc03ebbf1291cc751853.jpg

I'd say we've lost the light

pier1(1of1).thumb.jpg.5701bb5e4354538b9b8a13c91c2c95b4.jpg

Have you ever seen "Overnight in Ocho Rios" written on an Itinerary?

Hotels(1of1).thumb.jpg.3f1cad8c5b445251aeeeaac622a142e0.jpg

• Like 4

Dinner was a briefer affair tonight as we had enjoyed a lunch when we returned to the ship and had since eaten a plate of chocolate strawberries and drank a bottle of champagne.
3D556CF0-0B17-44A1-8B3C-7E24A243ECC5.thumb.jpeg.8bf2e85042aaf5c63294bbacb15cecb1.jpeg

This was my very tasty vegetable Korma with naan bread

Carol's notes say she had a Caesar salad and fettuccini Alfredo but no pics were taken on my phone which is the designated Food Pics phone. We will form a committee, hold an inquiry and leave no stone unturned until we find out what really happened. I'll let you know in about 6 months.
There is a picture of this which may have been my palette cleansing dessert...
C929E293-36F7-49D3-B349-F33A27E47D4C.thumb.jpeg.c0a75488e3bfdc25df1103616276af59.jpeg

Club Fusion
B372C495-3724-44D2-BE30-DD098303A4C6.thumb.jpeg.13caed2595e269bdf3479665208253f5.jpeg

We went to Club Fusion, Deck 7, extreme aft to see Voice of the Ocean trials. Karaoke basically with half a dozen voices of varying talents. The MC was my favorite Alejandro so they're given a loud "make some noise " welcome and then we got to know each contestant through Alejandro's interview-"What's your name?. Where you from? Are you traveling with family or friends? e.g. Jim, Boston, No.

It passed 45 minutes pleasantly and we heard a couple of female singers who were entertaining.

Bed was welcome at 11 pm. As we were in the open sea again we were gently rocked to sleep zzzz

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I see via the Patter that the Captain, Mario Tani is giving a presentation on Navigation at 10.a.m.

We'll be there.

Meantime here's the scene.....

sea(1of1).thumb.jpg.acd0ce50804962c0737b3d93276ba6a8.jpg

Time to go up on deck and clue you in on what's available around the ship to help with your navigation

deck15(1of1).thumb.jpg.f2952ce0b245696d7d7561b53c36fbed.jpg

youarehere(1of1).thumb.jpg.3a609332dc5affd8bebdacbe99abf6eb.jpg

deck16(1of1).thumb.jpg.bdd3f50944574c228c4533e63fc79c63.jpg

The interactive Medallion maps make life easier for all. Never get lost again, unless you are wasted on rum or espresso martinis to name but two

signage(1of1).thumb.jpg.ac8e11c08b27e716ea4b6755ce323bfc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As always there's breakfast to look forward to in Sabatini's

We always have bread and pastries and I have my regular yogurt parfait. There's OJ and coffee and a macchiato and a Mimosa-all things I don't want to repeat the pictures of. Today's stand outs

C63EE057-A862-49A8-9F91-35D6FE08F610.thumb.jpeg.a3ff8c69aa2d926d3ae872704909afd7.jpeg

The Norris Meat Eater's special

F6E333D2-499A-4321-AF2F-752BE93AC6DC.thumb.jpeg.6ae743dc9c4545f6a92d0d06ed27bc1d.jpeg

The Carol Waffles

As always, friendly waiter banter, soothing music, sea view over the stern. Easing into another fine day at sea

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Trish Traveler said:

Loving your review and most excellent photos, as usual!  Hope you are feeling better and that Carol might escape getting the virus.  Take care of yourselves.

Trish, thanks for the compliments and kind thoughts. 

Alas, Carol couldn't escape catching Covid. Her Paxlovid is coming tomorrow.

Norris

• Like 3

On 1/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, Bimmer09 said:

Nancy re the smoking- you may have missed the "Hospital stay ending" of my Celebrity Apex review.

Norris

Norris, I do remember you having pneumonia and being in the hospital following your Apex cruise. I either missed or forgot (easier to do the older I get 😊) about any mention of you stopping smoking. I’m sorry about that At any rate, I’m happy to hear that you’ve stopped and hope that will make your recovery from Covid a little bit easier. I am, as always, thoroughly enjoying your GSJ.

@Deck Chair Queen Carol, I’m sorry to hear that you, too have come down with Covid. Hope your case is mild and your recovery is quick and easy.. Meanwhile, it was interesting to hear a little bit more about your Jamaican heritage. I hope you’re able to get back to Jamaica soon and are able to make your visit to the Great House that you were unable to do on this trip.

Edited by perfect match
  • Thanks 2

Another great report, Norris. Takes me back to our first cruise ever. I think it was 2017. The winds were so high we missed our first stop. It was one of those cruise line islands, and we’ve still never been to one. I don’t feel we’ve missed anything. We cruise to discover new places. Our first stop was Falmouth and we did make it in. We enjoyed a food tasting walking tour.

Ii’m sorry to hear that Carol has also come down with Covid. I hope Paxlovid does the trick for her as well. Take care. 

Maris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2