American Diner free??

19 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Still charging $7 for the milkshakes.  The new menu with meatloaf and other items looks good.  One extra free place to eat.  They must be up to something.  Probably about to raise the DSC an extra $5 per person per day on all of us.

Honestly, I bet going complementary will increase their milkshake sales with more people dining and they probably make a healthy profit there. 

I suspect in the next round of refits this will be "reconcepted" into something else because it's always been just a slightly fancier version of The Local/O'Sheehans--even more so now with the scaled-back menu. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shof515 said:

Sailing on the breakaway in October and i too noticed it:

image.png.73c2b0499445bafbc8e0410e3845a7be.png

The link is also working with a new menu here:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/American-Diner-A_Mobile-Menu_010224.pdf

The new menu is completely different. It is now basic offerings

R.I.P. my favorite mozzarella sticks 😞 😞 😞

Nooooo!!! I was reading this thread thinking "meh. But I'll stop by at least once during a trip for mozz sticks!" Ugh. I'm a vegetarian and it's my go to greasy vacation food. 

• Thanks 2

Now I'm dreaming of mozz sticks. Did NCL used to have a restaurant called Blue something (blue lagoon?) that had munchie type food late at night? Can't remember if it was NCL or RCL that I used to go to at midnight on the last night with my cousins. That and spinach artichoke dip that wasn't bland and watery like Osheahans.  Ever since then mozz sticks have been missing from my cruise ship life. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Did NCL used to have a restaurant called Blue something (blue lagoon?) that had munchie type food late at night? 

Sure did, called the Blue Lagoon when the Norwegian Dawn began sailing in 2003, homeport in NYC then ... 23/7, closed between 4 and 5 AM daily for cleaning - casual dining that gradually evolved into O'Sheehan's.  Burgers & fries, hot dogs, soup & salad, wonton and other "comfort" soup, Singapore fried rice and noodles.  Starboard side on Deck 7 Mid/Aft ... space since reclaimed for the downsized iCafe center and photography, relocated to above the atrium lobby on Deck 8 midship. 

Back then, midnight and chocolate buffet ... 20 years ago, 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mking8288 said:

Sure did, called the Blue Lagoon when the Norwegian Dawn began sailing in 2003, homeport in NYC then ... 23/7, closed between 4 and 5 AM daily for cleaning - casual dining that gradually evolved into O'Sheehan's.  Burgers & fries, hot dogs, soup & salad, wonton and other "comfort" soup, Singapore fried rice and noodles.  Starboard side on Deck 7 Mid/Aft ... space since reclaimed for the downsized iCafe center and photography, relocated to above the atrium lobby on Deck 8 midship. 

Back then, midnight and chocolate buffet ... 20 years ago, 

Shh. I'm not that old. 

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Nooooo!!! I was reading this thread thinking "meh. But I'll stop by at least once during a trip for mozz sticks!" Ugh. I'm a vegetarian and it's my go to greasy vacation food. 

Good looking menu....looks like good "diner" food!

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

There is another thread where the new menu was posted. No mozzarella sticks. No lobster roll (it wasn't that great, anyway). No shrimp and grits. The menu pretty much looks like The Local 2 ( a few different items, but very close). I'd assume close in quality too. 

EDIT - Here's a copy of the menu that was posted: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/American-Diner-A_Mobile-Menu_010224.pdf

My sausage & grits are gone along with my hashbrowns.... this is not looking good. Agree that this is now just a glorified O'Sheehans 2.0. Even if there's a few items that are different, there's nothing compelling me to say 'ooh I want to go there' now whereas before there was. 

I'm hoping O'Sheehans/The Local gets a menu overhaul as well to have some different things pop up. They keep removing my favorite items from there too. Does anyone remember the taco bowl salad thing they used to have? It came in a giant fried tortilla shell and was quite yummy - only got to have it once before that was yanked from the menu.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

My sausage & grits are gone along with my hashbrowns.... this is not looking good. Agree that this is now just a glorified O'Sheehans 2.0. Even if there's a few items that are different, there's nothing compelling me to say 'ooh I want to go there' now whereas before there was. 

I'm hoping O'Sheehans/The Local gets a menu overhaul as well to have some different things pop up. They keep removing my favorite items from there too. Does anyone remember the taco bowl salad thing they used to have? It came in a giant fried tortilla shell and was quite yummy - only got to have it once before that was yanked from the menu.

At this rate in the not too distant future all we'll have is Soylent Green 🤣🤢🤮😂

• Haha 1

for those wondering if they will have breakfast, I just saw a copy of a daily from the current Getaway cruise.  American diner was open for breakfast and lunch.  this was a sea day.  There were no listed dinner hours though

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

for those wondering if they will have breakfast, I just saw a copy of a daily from the current Getaway cruise.  American diner was open for breakfast and lunch.  this was a sea day.  There were no listed dinner hours though

In my experience this venue has always been open for breakfast. We often go there if we just want something light as it is a lunch more pleasant place than the buffet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

In my experience this venue has always been open for breakfast. We often go there if we just want something light as it is a lunch more pleasant place than the buffet.

Yep. As I said previously here, there's always been a complimentary small buffet breakfast there, going back to when it was Margaritaville.

Small but decent selection with no crowd.

Kind of an unknown gem!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Yep. As I said previously here, there's always been a complimentary small buffet breakfast there, going back to when it was Margaritaville.

Small but decent selection with no crowd.

Kind of an unknown gem!

Yep.  Won't be an unknown gem much longer.  Now if they would just add hash browns to the breakfast menu there would probably we a wait to be seated. 

Really happy to hear you say that they have an omelette station there. Makes a difference to us anyway that you can order an omelette or eggs over easy as part of breakfast.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Yep.  Won't be an unknown gem much longer.  Now if they would just add hash browns to the breakfast menu there would probably we a wait to be seated. 

Really happy to hear you say that they have an omelette station there. Makes a difference to us anyway that you can order an omelette or eggs over easy as part of breakfast.

Lmao! I know I'm messing it up for myself.

We went, at least, 3 times this past July on Joy.

Sometimes for first breakfast, sometimes for 2nd!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

I think this is a good change. A nice, casual alternative to the buffet in a space that was severely underutilized even back to the Margaritaville days. 

Yes, but they already have that with The Local (O'Sheehans). That's my only gripe, it doesn't seem any different from what they already have. Would have been better served to change it into a different casual venue. Either simple deli style sandwiches,  made to order salads, simple mediterranean place with gyros and skewers... lots of ways they can reutilize that space without doing the same burgers & stuff that's already offered in multiple places on board.

• Like 3

I hope that they take the next step and convert the space into the Food Hall concept that they have on the Prima and Viva, which are complimentary.  Wouldn't that be an amazing addition?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Now if they would just add hash browns to the breakfast menu there would probably we a wait to be seated. 

2 minutes ago, ricksurf said:

I hope that they take the next step and convert the space into the Food Hall concept that they have on the Prima and Viva, which are complimentary.  Wouldn't that be an amazing addition?

Ok y'all...now we're asking for way too much! I can see it now though - "American Diner - Home of the Greasy Hockey Puck! Scarf it while it lasts!" 

Food Hall would be amazing! I certainly hope that's what happens, but from memory, I think it would be an extremely small space, even if they just use the cooking area they have now. I love the idea though!

14 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Either simple deli style sandwiches,  made to order salads, simple mediterranean place with gyros and skewers

I'm in love with this idea too! So many ways to improve on the space, especially if re-thinking the area. Which, they're obviously not.

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Thank goodness hash browns are gone forever.