American Diner free??

4 hours ago, L1211 said:

I’m no expert - don’t frequent a lot of diners, but this menu seems odd to me… at least it’s free! 

IMG_6101.png

Yeah, I'm a NY native. This isn't a diner menu. 

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

odd in which way?

In these parts, to qualify as a diner the menu has to be at least 8 pages, not including the daily specials

• Haha 4

Just now, ngrund said:

In these parts, to qualify as a diner the menu has to be at least 8 pages, not including the daily specials

EXACTLY. And where's the club? The grilled cheese? 

55 minutes ago, ngrund said:

um, i’ve lived all my adult life in manhattan, but thanks for the edumication. 

if you really want to get technical about it, it ain’t a diner without a rotating refrigerated dessert museum and repeated insistence that there’s “no coke, pepsi.” but you guys do realize you’re on a cruise ship, right? one on which the italian restaurant serves no chicken parm, the fresh fish isn’t fresh most nights, the BBQ restaurant doesn’t actually smoke any meats and lox and bagel with a schmear is served on a half bagel with lettuce?

the salient point being that they had an existing underutilized pay for play property that was branded as a diner, they jettisoned the more expensive or complex items on the menu and turned it into a free restaurant, using the same space, which is still branded as a diner.

the old american diner menu wasn’t a diner menu, either, by the way. so, it’s a little crazy that people are disappointed that the new american diner menu isn’t an authentic diner menu. the “diner” refers mostly to the stereotypical decor of the joint, which resembles a japanese tourist’s fantasy of what an “american diner” should look like.

Edited by UKstages

11 hours ago, UKstages said:

the old american diner menu wasn’t a diner menu, either, by the way. so, it’s a little crazy that people are disappointed that the new american diner menu isn’t an authentic diner menu. the “diner” refers mostly to the stereotypical decor of the joint, which resembles a japanese tourist’s fantasy of what an “american diner” should look like.

Yeah but they're taking this opportunity to change it up a bit. Perfect time to make the menu actually fit the decor. I would love to be able to get chocolate chip pancakes  or a turkey club 24/7.

Odd that it's showing as Complimentary now when just a few weeks ago it was showing a la carte. [Fast away the old year passes!] Seems a bit tacky to charge considering much of the fare was nothing special. Glad they made the change.  [Admittedly a first time NCLer so I could be missing something.]

Edited by Chutterflic

13 minutes ago, Chutterflic said:

Odd that it's showing as Complimentary now when just a few weeks ago it was showing a la carte. [Fast away the old year passes!] Seems a bit tacky to charge considering much of the fare was nothing special. Glad they made the change.  [Admittedly a first time NCLer so I could be missing something.]

How do you know the fare was nothing special if you haven’t cruised NCL before?

On 1/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, Sailing12Away said:

Yes, but they already have that with The Local (O'Sheehans). That's my only gripe, it doesn't seem any different from what they already have. Would have been better served to change it into a different casual venue. Either simple deli style sandwiches,  made to order salads, simple mediterranean place with gyros and skewers... lots of ways they can reutilize that space without doing the same burgers & stuff that's already offered in multiple places on board.

I could totally get on board with gyros and skewers!

• Like 1

Definitely not what I think of when I think of diner food. However, I appreciate the opportunity to have an additional "included" option at a time when we are seeing cutbacks and reductions on all cruise lines 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

What's missing in the free menu that was on the paid menu?

I'm fairly certain there was discussion of this earlier in the thread, including photos of the menus.  Shoot - the new menu was right at the top of this very page!!

Edited by hallux

25 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

What's missing in the free menu that was on the paid menu?

mozzarella sticks was in the paid menu and now long gone, no longer exists in the free menu

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:48 PM, Chutterflic said:

Not odd - just changed scenario.

Wuth a less fair fare.