Can you now (2024) bring a guest on board, when in port?

OlsSalt

Question came up on our upcoming Westerdam Majestic Japan roll call - can someone bring a guest on board when visiting a port?

I assumed particularly post-"covid" this would not be possible. But others reported they have done this in the past, after obtaining an official Visitor's Pass.

Any recent updates on this prior HAL policy?  Thanks.

We had plenty of ‘Guests’ boarding in NYC on the 150th voyage in 2022 including some overnighters…. So many that they kicked us out of the dining room.  But they were Gus’ guests.  I doubt common folk,  like us, like us paying passengers are allowed guests. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gigi1977 said:

We had plenty of ‘Guests’ boarding in NYC on the 150th voyage in 2022 including some overnighters…. So many that they kicked us out of the dining room.  But they were Gus’ guests.  I doubt common folk,  like us, like us paying passengers are allowed guests. 

What part of the dining room were you sitting in that you got kicked out. We were on that cruise and no one on the  upper deck was asked to leave. 

Recently in San Diego a class of elementary school children were allowed onboard with their class.  They got a tour of the Koningsdam and did a project in the arts and crafts room off the Crow’s Nest.

I saw the report with video on local TV!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, woodworker&knitter said:

What part of the dining room were you sitting in that you got kicked out. We were on that cruise and no one on the  upper deck was asked to leave. 

Almost the entire lower dinning were given pagers rather than seated at the reserved time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCDragonfly said:

When my parents sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam, my sister and BIL came on board to see them off.

Of course, that was 50 years and 3 Nieuw Amsterdams ago....

After 9/11 Security increased everywhere even on cruise ships. 

It has nearly always been possible to bring visitors onboard a cruise ship.

COVID made it a bit more difficult, but that is past us now.

Often, if you ask the Reservations or Head Office people, they will say “No”.

But the final authority is the ship’s captain.

When onboard, if you send a request to the Captain, the answer is usually “Yes”.

The ship needs a few days notice to allow them to confirm with Port Security, but other than that, it is very simple.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Question came up on our upcoming Westerdam Majestic Japan roll call - can someone bring a guest on board when visiting a port?

I assumed particularly post-"covid" this would not be possible. But others reported they have done this in the past, after obtaining an official Visitor's Pass.

Any recent updates on this prior HAL policy?  Thanks.

The International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code) is an IMO Code that sets the standards for how ships and ports interact, with respect to security. Under the ISPS Code, each vessel must have a Ship Security Manual, which contains the relevant policies.

Bringing visitors/guests on board will be one of the articles included in the Ship's Security Manual. Therefore, you will have greater chance of success by submitting a request, once onboard the vessel, at least a few days in advance. I would submit a request to the Master/Staff Captain, who may approve the request provided the MARSEC Level is low and nothing else is happening onboard. Since shoreside sales/customer service offices have no knowledge of the Ship Security Manual, I wouldn't suggest submitting a request to a shoreside office.

Approved requests usually require full name of the guest, passport/driver's licence number and possibly date of birth. The information is forwarded to the Security Officer, who adds the guest's name to the list of approved guests that is sent to the shore authorities, prior to arrival. Upon arrival, the guest must provide photo ID, which is retained ashore, as the guest is issued a visitor badge. Upon disembarking, the guest returns the visitor badge and receives their photo ID back.

Note - this was the procedure we used with Princess, so it may not to totally consistent with all cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

When we were on Zaandam in Aug/Sep there was a group with name tags that in large font said “Guest”.  It looked like a family group.   That being said, it could have been family of a crew member.   But their “guest” status was bold enough to not be missed.

Thank you for all the responses. Looks like officially, no is the general policy. But exceptions can possibly be made .Thanks for sharing the process one needs to take to see if they can make it happen.

Shared this with our roll call.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:05 AM, Heidi13 said:

The International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code) is an IMO Code that sets the standards for how ships and ports interact, with respect to security. Under the ISPS Code, each vessel must have a Ship Security Manual, which contains the relevant policies.

Bringing visitors/guests on board will be one of the articles included in the Ship's Security Manual. Therefore, you will have greater chance of success by submitting a request, once onboard the vessel, at least a few days in advance. I would submit a request to the Master/Staff Captain, who may approve the request provided the MARSEC Level is low and nothing else is happening onboard. Since shoreside sales/customer service offices have no knowledge of the Ship Security Manual, I wouldn't suggest submitting a request to a shoreside office.

Approved requests usually require full name of the guest, passport/driver's licence number and possibly date of birth. The information is forwarded to the Security Officer, who adds the guest's name to the list of approved guests that is sent to the shore authorities, prior to arrival. Upon arrival, the guest must provide photo ID, which is retained ashore, as the guest is issued a visitor badge. Upon disembarking, the guest returns the visitor badge and receives their photo ID back.

Note - this was the procedure we used with Princess, so it may not to totally consistent with all cruise lines.

When was the last time you had a guest approved on princess?  I am hoping to get 2 approved on a February cruise.

1 hour ago, jenp123 said:

When was the last time you had a guest approved on princess?  I am hoping to get 2 approved on a February cruise.

I used to visit the ships a couple of times a month in Vancouver, when our son worked for them and i knew the British Masters. Son no longer works for them and everyone I knew is now retired, so it has been a few years.

The policy must still be in effect, as the ships still have guests coming aboard, so make sure you submit the request once onboard. The Master can only approve or deny your request. Good luck.