Seabourn Completes Starlink Installations

nancygp

Had Starlink on our recent Crystal cruise and it was fabulous.  Both DH and I were streaming different shows on our Ipads when we were on the pool deck.  We both have new Bose headphones and used them for the streaming shows.  The internet speed was super fast.  Great move for Seabourn 

I’m assuming this is not part of the base package but part of an upgraded package?  Can anyone comment on the cost of this if that’s the case?

1 hour ago, Corony said:

I’m assuming this is not part of the base package but part of an upgraded package?  Can anyone comment on the cost of this if that’s the case?

The included Surf plan covers 1 device at a time but blocks many streaming websites like YouTube (and potentially FaceTime/Zoom/etc, but I can't remember). If you upgrade to the Stream plan you get 4 devices at a time and those sites are NOT blocked. At least on the Venture our experience was that the Surf plan was NOT bandwidth limited at all that we could tell. It was very fast. I believe it's $20/day to upgrade to the Stream plan, and you have to buy for your remaining days.

1 hour ago, Robisan said:

Will VPNs work via the Seabourn>Starlink connection to enable access to country specific/exclusive content?

In my experience VPNs are blocked, but perhaps I'm insufficiently creative. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, stan01 said:

Yep, the teleworkers are going to be doing their Zoom calls from the seas.

My husband was able to attend a hearing this week from the Antarctic Peninsula thanks to Starlink. Game changer.

• Like 3

Most video is blocked unless you upgrade to premium.  However, we were able to video chat with family using Facebook Messenger using the surf (included) plan.  Whatsapp may work, as well, but we did not try that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcmarya said:

Whatsapp may work, as well, but we did not try that.

I've used WhatsApp to chat with my sons and it worked well with a little lag and that was pre Starlink. They look after our house & dog while we travel so good to be able to keep in contact.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fitstylist55 said:

My husband was able to attend a hearing this week from the Antarctic Peninsula thanks to Starlink. Game changer.

Sorry to hear. My vacations take precedence over work. I will have a partner or associate cover my hearings, or I move for a continuance beforehand. 

• Like 1

I was able to stream Peloton classes on Venture in Antartica because of Starlink.

Had to upgrade the WiFi to do that on Ovation before Starlink. 

55 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Sorry to hear. My vacations take precedence over work. I will have a partner or associate cover my hearings, or I move for a continuance beforehand.

Definitely nothing to be sorry about! We’re lucky to be able to travel about five months out of the year. Starlink undoubtedly allows for more flexibility.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitstylist55 said:

Definitely nothing to be sorry about! We’re lucky to be able to travel about five months out of the year. Starlink undoubtedly allows for more flexibility.

You are indeed fortunate and I was wrong to pass judgment. Enjoy your travels. 

1 hour ago, christraveller said:

Now that Starlink has arrived, is the pricing as-is, ie one device per guest included, no streaming sites, or  $20/day extra for no limitations?

It’s one device at a time per guest. So if you’re on your iPhone, and then decide to use your iPad once you sign on, you’ll be asked if you want to disconnect from the other device. Pretty seamless.  But I was able to use my watch all the time without disconnecting which I thought was on WiFi. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Do Diamond members have to pay to upgrade to the premium package?

I’m assuming you mean the streaming package…diamond members receive this at no charge

nancy

• Like 1