Cutbacks on QM2

roving5893

I do realize that in the spirit of ecology, there will not be as frequent changing of bed linen as in the past, however, on our 12 day voyage starting Dec. 22nd, the sheets had not been changed in 8 days.  I had a cut on the back of my ankle the first day which left a spot of blood on the sheet, which is how I can confirm the sheets were not changed. We spoke to the Purser's office about this in the morning and although the lady there called Housekeeping and demanded the sheets be changed that day, it was not done until at 11pm the Purser's office was again told and the sheets were finally changed.  Evidently you must request a change of linen  for it to happen.

Other than that, there were some small cutbacks in all areas as is probably the case on all lines.

It used to say in the FAQs that they were changed every three days. I can’t find it now, but that may be simply because I’m no good at searching. In any case, I suspect this is the result of a lazy or forgetful steward rather than a change in policy. We had our sheets changed pretty often on QV in the summer.

I had to request a change in the summer  when I did a B2B T A . He didn’t do it with particular good grace and said he had planned to do it the next day (8 nights) . I was polite but firm that I expected them changed today which he did do. I don’t think I have ever in non grills had them changed more frequently than weekly. Anything over I don’t think is acceptable hence my request. 

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

It used to say in the FAQs that they were changed every three days. I can’t find it now, but that may be simply because I’m no good at searching. In any case, I suspect this is the result of a lazy or forgetful steward rather than a change in policy. We had our sheets changed pretty often on QV in the summer.

From the Australia FAQ:

image.png.c8f1368f0948cf180e1898fc9e95b13e.png

Sounds like the problems some have encountered may be a steward or laundry availability issue rather than a Cunard policy change.  Or possibly too the FAQ may be outdated. On our last QE voyage (in PG) our bed linens were changed quite regularly.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Room cleaning and sheet changing on land based hotels are even worse. At least you get to know your cabin steward onboard more than the cleaning crew at a Hilton etc. Cut backs everywhere in the hospitality industry. 

Edited by NE John

1 hour ago, sfred said:

From the Australia FAQ:

image.png.c8f1368f0948cf180e1898fc9e95b13e.png

Sounds like the problems some have encountered may be a steward or laundry availability issue rather than a Cunard policy change.  Or possibly too the FAQ may be outdated. On our last QE voyage (in PG) our bed linens were changed quite regularly.

I have a feeling that it's every 3 days in the Grills but now weekly in Britannia. Or something along those lines. But this is why it's so important to have a good relationship with your steward, so that you get the level of service you want. I wouldn't advocate checking with Housekeeping or the Purser's Desk, not in the first instance at least, but a friendly chat with your steward will usually do the trick.

[Personally I would want to see dried blood in bedding or clothing changed and washed promptly. it's not a huge risk of infection, particularly compared to other body fluids, but it is nevertheless a risk].

14 hours ago, roving5893 said:

I do realize that in the spirit of ecology, there will not be as frequent changing of bed linen as in the past, however, on our 12 day voyage starting Dec. 22nd, the sheets had not been changed in 8 days.  I had a cut on the back of my ankle the first day which left a spot of blood on the sheet, which is how I can confirm the sheets were not changed. We spoke to the Purser's office about this in the morning and although the lady there called Housekeeping and demanded the sheets be changed that day, it was not done until at 11pm the Purser's office was again told and the sheets were finally changed.  Evidently you must request a change of linen  for it to happen.

Other than that, there were some small cutbacks in all areas as is probably the case on all lines.

I was in a Q3 cabin on QE earlier this year and can attest to the fact that the sheets were not changed in the 11 days and nights I was on board. I know this because the sheets had unpleasant pilling across the turned-down area of the top sheet so they were indeed memorable. I was very surprised both by the state of the sheets and the fact they were not changed. They didn't 'need' to be changed for hygeine but it's rather odd for any hotel or ship to leave the original sheets in situ for so long, in my experience.

Posted (edited)

I have never had an issue on bed linen (normally changed every 3 days) and towel changes (Daily) on all of my Cunard ships.

On the odd occasion I have spilt say, some coffee drips on the sheets from the early morning Room Service, then my Room Steward has always been more than happy to change my linens; Or has done it without asking.

Personally I feel that Bed Linen changes every 3 days is about right for a 4 - 5 star Hotel (which Cunard Housekeeping is, or should be of a similar standard) - in fact some High End hotels will change Bed Linens daily.

On shorter 3 - 6 night cruises Linens should be changed once during the trip, and a 7 night cruise I would expect 2 Linen changes. 

I cannot fathom as to why Posters here would be happy to sleep in the same sheets for 11-12 days LOL, double yuk!

Just tell your room Steward when you board ship what your room preferences are (if any).

I take this thread with a pinch of salt TBH....

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I have a feeling that it's every 3 days in the Grills but now weekly in Britannia. Or something along those lines. But this is why it's so important to have a good relationship with your steward, so that you get the level of service you want. I wouldn't advocate checking with Housekeeping or the Purser's Desk, not in the first instance at least, but a friendly chat with your steward will usually do the trick.

[Personally I would want to see dried blood in bedding or clothing changed and washed promptly. it's not a huge risk of infection, particularly compared to other body fluids, but it is nevertheless a risk].

Do they really think Grills passengers are dirtier than the rest? A fascinating insight.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Do they really think Grills passengers are dirtier than the rest? A fascinating insight.😀

On reflection it could mean they think Grills passengers are cleaner than the rest, as they are the only ones who might notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 9:19 PM, exlondoner said:

On reflection it could mean they think Grills passengers are cleaner than the rest, as they are the only ones who might notice.

Been Inside, Ocean View, Balcony and  Princess  Grills. Never had a problem and of course treat the cabin people with respect including nights off when it comes to turn down.