Potential Pricing Strategy for Oceania Cruises

Sthrngary

OK, one vote for using O's air. We were on the December cruise that was significantly delayed in arriving in port and disembarking. We were concerned about getting to the airport in time. The Cruise Director advised that they were monitoring the airline reservations of those who booked with O. One group was rebooked and given a hotel. Those who didn't use O were left to book rebook their air and  rearrange their transportation.

Not to say that this situation happens often but twice in Miami we were faced with air delays. The moral is book later flights especially if going west.

The good news is that we made it to our gate as our group was boarding!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Another point about onboard benefits. Oceania now send out letters around 30 days prior to your next cruise which allows you to book a new cruise with all the ‘onboard’ benefits from the comfort of your own home. So no need to worry about the future  sales desk being crowded.

image.thumb.jpeg.3286348ca7ea47ecdf20103997d0ab1a.jpeg

Wow, I had no idea.  This is great information and thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

And after the cruise you'll likely receive a $200 gift certificate for O Club Members for a future booking. With restrictions of course (e.g., Cat C or higher on Marina & Riviera and not combinable with on-board bookings).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Another point about onboard benefits. Oceania now send out letters around 30 days prior to your next cruise which allows you to book a new cruise with all the ‘onboard’ benefits from the comfort of your own home. So no need to worry about the future  sales desk being crowded.

image.thumb.jpeg.3286348ca7ea47ecdf20103997d0ab1a.jpeg

Not sure how consistent they are on this one. We have a cruise coming up the end of the month and have not received anything, perhaps still to come but we are now less than 3 weeks out. No biggie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Not sure how consistent they are on this one. We have a cruise coming up the end of the month and have not received anything, perhaps still to come but we are now less than 3 weeks out. No biggie. 

We are in the UK don’t know if that makes a difference …. it shouldn't!

I think this started a few years ago if I remember correctly?

Our next cruise is January 28th??? 
Maybe your offer will still arrive. 
If not maybe ask your TA if you are thinking of another cruise?

• Like 1

Hi @Sthrngary,

Sorry, I missed your earlier question re ... can you buy the drinks upgrade in advance. 

I have it currently booked in advance for two cruises, and am promised (soon) adjustments to the amount I paid, to incorporate our silver-level 10% discount.

We had pre-purchased the upgrade on our December back-to-back cruises, and had the BIB code (which signals the upgrade to the bar staff / sommeliers) on our keycard when we registered - no need to go to Reception to get a new card with BIB.

And on a separate note...

purchases on our online account, visible on the TV in our room during the December cruises, were often not posted against "use nonrefundable shipboard credit", and instead increased our balance due.  We would point this out at Reception, they would correct it, and overnight it would switch back.  They said it was a post-SimplyMore problem.  Unfortunately you cannot see on the TV whether they have posted to "use nonrefundable shipboard credit", you just have to monitor what is happening each time there is a posting to know for sure.  For example, a massage should be charged against nonrefundable credits until they are exhausted, and it should increase the balance due only if there are no nonrefundable credits left.  (The nonrefundable excursion credits are an exception to this rule, as they show up in the nonrefundable credits count, but can be used only against excursions.)

Purser staff was up until late in the evening trying to fix the incorrect postings.  It is best to monitor, else unused nonrefundable credits will be large, causing your balance due to be large.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WildWanderers said:

Hi @Sthrngary,

Sorry, I missed your earlier question re ... can you buy the drinks upgrade in advance. 

I have it currently booked in advance for two cruises, and am promised (soon) adjustments to the amount I paid, to incorporate our silver-level 10% discount.

We had pre-purchased the upgrade on our December back-to-back cruises, and had the BIB code (which signals the upgrade to the bar staff / sommeliers) on our keycard when we registered - no need to go to Reception to get a new card with BIB.

And on a separate note...

purchases on our online account, visible on the TV in our room during the December cruises, were often not posted against "use nonrefundable shipboard credit", and instead increased our balance due.  We would point this out at Reception, they would correct it, and overnight it would switch back.  They said it was a post-SimplyMore problem.  Unfortunately you cannot see on the TV whether they have posted to "use nonrefundable shipboard credit", you just have to monitor what is happening each time there is a posting to know for sure.  For example, a massage should be charged against nonrefundable credits until they are exhausted, and it should increase the balance due only if there are no nonrefundable credits left.  (The nonrefundable excursion credits are an exception to this rule, as they show up in the nonrefundable credits count, but can be used only against excursions.)

Purser staff was up until late in the evening trying to fix the incorrect postings.  It is best to monitor, else unused nonrefundable credits will be large, causing your balance due to be large.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers.

@WildWanderers Thank you for answering my question.  I educated my guest that just joined my wife and on an Oceania Cruise to review their stateroom portfolio first thing every morning.  I fixed several issue. 

I will contact my travel agent and get my upgrade for the Prestige package later today.  Thank you. 

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I wrote this as I was having my coffee yesterdays.  I knew there would be many differing opinions.  I was hopping for that.  Whether you agree or disagree with what someone else sees as a benefit matters not.  Just that you get a sense of how lots of cruisers approach booking, and improving their cruise experience. 

Whether to book early or late; to get the drink upgrade pre or on the cruise, leveraging a cruisers status with the brand or how to leverage the SimplyMore excursions OBC.  The dialog, debate and conversation will help everyone with a serious interest.  I have learn some things with the comment and appreciate the honest feed back.  Thank you all. 

I hope my "disagree" type comments didn't come across as critical of your opinions/choices. Maybe a better phrase would have been "Differnet opinion/perspective/choice given different preferences" (but it gets a little wordy 😉 ). It's so hard not to offend anyone these days, so I often stay silent. I like that you are open to discourse! Not everyone can handle a differing opinion as graciously as you can.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I hope my "disagree" type comments didn't come across as critical of your opinions/choices. Maybe a better phrase would have been "Differnet opinion/perspective/choice given different preferences" (but it gets a little wordy 😉 ). It's so hard not to offend anyone these days, so I often stay silent. I like that you are open to discourse! Not everyone can handle a differing opinion as graciously as you can.

@AMHuntFerry Heck NO.  I liked it and some of the other that also posted.  My intent on this and other boards it education which includes mine.  You are always both professional, understanding and kind with your remarks.  That allows other including myself to learn.  

My intent was to give folks some differing opinion to gain a positive value proposition.  I will say, I was hoping to avoid making to much of that strategy about "Asking for Discounted Commissions" from travel agencies.  I failed on that. However if a guest, shops agencies to see what the best offer is and the agencies business plan is to give deep % discount, more power to them.  Now my way but I respect other approach.  

@AMHuntFerry I have never been offended on the Oceania Board except for once.  When someone new to Oceania was being over the top complaining about the situation that happened due to the Middle Easter War.  That person took my position as a personal affront to their need to have their feelings justified by the masses.  The called me out on that which I decided simply to let go and put them on ignore. They have not come back to the Oceania Blog since but did a similar post on another brand site. 

• Like 3