Getting a taxi at Malecon de Mazatlán

Cruise-mom

Hi, we have a port stop in Mazatlán in a few weeks. We are planning to walk the blue line to the historic centre, Casas de colores, Callejón Liverpool and the Malecon up to the cliff divers. I think this might be enough walking for us. How easy (or difficult) would it be to get a taxi back to port from this area? Would we be better to do it the other way around? Get a taxi from port to the Malecon and walk back visiting the attractions?

Thank you!

I notice you are from Ireland (we really enjoy visiting).  Keep in mind that you will need to pay for a taxi using either Mexican Pesos or US Dollars (most drivers accept dollars but will not give you a great exchange rate).  Always agree on a price before you get in a taxi (this is the rule of thumb throughout Mexico) and, if you are paying in Dollars make that clear to the driver.

We have never had a problem getting a taxi in Mazatlan, but always allow extra time, when returning, just in case it takes a few minutes to find a willing taxi.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I notice you are from Ireland (we really enjoy visiting).  Keep in mind that you will need to pay for a taxi using either Mexican Pesos or US Dollars (most drivers accept dollars but will not give you a great exchange rate).  Always agree on a price before you get in a taxi (this is the rule of thumb throughout Mexico) and, if you are paying in Dollars make that clear to the driver.

We have never had a problem getting a taxi in Mazatlan, but always allow extra time, when returning, just in case it takes a few minutes to find a willing taxi.

Hank

Thank you! Yes, we will be using dollars. I'll be sure to agree a price before getting in.

Glad you enjoy visiting Ireland ☘️

In downtown Mazatlan, for example near the church or the Mercado or the theater, you cannot walk half a block without a taxi driver soliciting you for a ride.  This is during daytime tourist hours.  I don't know about nighttime and early morning.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

In downtown Mazatlan, for example near the church or the Mercado or the theater, you cannot walk half a block without a taxi driver soliciting you for a ride.  This is during daytime tourist hours.  I don't know about nighttime and early morning.  

Agree....Taxi's back to the port from the Mercado (after we've eaten at the Panama Bakery) couldn't be easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Panama Bakery

I like Panama as well.  The menu is huge and the quality of the food, while not gourmet, is pretty darn good for the price.  All of the deserts and cakes are great too.  I would recommend it even though it's not really what one thinks of as a tourist Mexican restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 5:25 PM, SelectSys said:

I like Panama as well.  The menu is huge and the quality of the food, while not gourmet, is pretty darn good for the price.  All of the deserts and cakes are great too.  I would recommend it even though it's not really what one thinks of as a tourist Mexican restaurant.

We enjoyed Panama - the one right by the cathedral. (Note there is another Panama restaurant further north, away from Centro). The only issue is wait-time for a table at Panama Centro - and the fact that you have to wait outside on the street "till they call you on your cell phone". [They assume all customers are local and have a local number!!]. Last year we were there around 12.00PM on a weekday and there was about a 20-30 minute wait till we got a table. (As we did not have a local number they just took our names and called us when a table was avail). It was BUSY. This year we were not there to eat at the restaurant, but walked past at about 10,30AM on a weekday and it already had ppl waiting to get in. Hope the line is not too long if you do go there. If you are going to their bakery then walk to the door right on the corner and you will not need to wait in the restaurant's wait-line. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 9:27 AM, Cruise-mom said:

Hi, we have a port stop in Mazatlán in a few weeks. We are planning to walk the blue line to the historic centre, Casas de colores, Callejón Liverpool and the Malecon up to the cliff divers. I think this might be enough walking for us. How easy (or difficult) would it be to get a taxi back to port from this area? Would we be better to do it the other way around? Get a taxi from port to the Malecon and walk back visiting the attractions?

It might be better to Taxi or Uber to the Cliff Divers (to get there before the tour crowds!!!) as that appears furtherest; then walk round the bend to Liverpool pedestrian street, then walk past the Casas de colores into Centro. Thereafter either Uber/Pulmonia/walk back to the ship after Centro/Mercado/Panama). Just depends how much shopping you have, or if you've just eaten.

We were there 2 weeks ago and Ubered from Oxxo across the street from the cruise terminal to Liverpool, spent about 10 minutes there, then Ubered along Casas de colores road into Centro. Let's just say we did not have "walkers" in our group.  We wanted to Uber back to the ship after Centro, but at that time my cell lost data connection and I was unable to connect again in order to get an Uber back. We just got a Pulmonia a block or so further. The Pulmonia back to ship was about US$8 for 3 ppl. Sometimes they will push for US$10. The Uber rides were about $2 each segment that we did. At that price we just tip generously for the convenience that they offer. (OK, I did tip the Pulmonia guy too).

Probably also important to check what time the cliff divers are there. As you can see from my pix, these were taken at Liverpool street (literally a 360 degree on all these photos so it is not a long pit-stop). Not sure if you are aware, but "Liverpool" is a department store in most MX cities, so just be carefully what you select in Uber, or tell a taxi driver for locations.

Enjoy your trip.

20240103_085422.jpg

20240103_085446.jpg

20240103_085458.jpg

20240103_085529.jpg

1 hour ago, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

Also, the west end of Casa de colores street is the yellow building right there behind Liverpool street as per attached rough-map. 

image.thumb.png.25352e2087c369f3e293ed05ec474cca.png

Thank you so much for the helpful info. I have plotted our points on a map. We don't mind some walking but good to know it's easy and cheap to get around.

I have included the Liverpool store as part of our day 😉