Ship food vs.home food

lenquixote66

Absolutely!

We are both competent cooks, but primarily due to lack of transportation (we both gave up driving), we don't always have all the ingredients needed for a wide variety of dishes.  Also due to lack of transportation, we rarely eat out, and ordering food for delivery has no appeal.  So we are fairly basic eaters at home (no complaints), and greatly enjoy all the variety we get on our cruises.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:39 AM, lenquixote66 said:

Do you eat food on a cruise that you would not eat at home ?

Definitely️. It’s my opportunity to try food prepared and seasoned differently provided it looks good.  I eat with my eyes 👀 first‼️

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I live in NY where virtually every food is available.To date there has been nothing on a cruise ship menu that I could not get in a restaurant.However,I tend to eat “exotic” dishes more when on a cruise.

Len,

According to what you have told us so far, you rarely eat any foods that other humans eat.

Yes, New York has many varieties of food, but you rarely eat any of them.,

21 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Len,

According to what you have told us so far, you rarely eat any foods that other humans eat.

Yes, New York has many varieties of food, but you rarely eat any of them.,

I do not recall saying or implying that I rarely eat foods that others eat.What I may have said is that I normally do not frequent upper echelon

restaurants.I probably said that I do not eat lamb,steak and chicken/Turkey.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not recall saying or implying that I rarely eat foods that others eat.What I may have said is that I normally do not frequent upper echelon

restaurants.I probably said that I do not eat lamb,steak and chicken/Turkey.

Thank you.

Lamb, chicken, steak and turkey are foods that most humans eat.You also claim to not eat many types of seafood that most human eat.

13 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Thank you.

Lamb, chicken, steak and turkey are foods that most humans eat.You also claim to not eat many types of seafood that most human eat.

Are you implying that I am not human ?

I eat shrimp,scallops and eel.I have never eaten lobster.

• 2 weeks later...

We generally eat better at home than on cruises (DW is like a personal chef).  That being said, the cuisine we recently had on Explora 1 was, by far, the best cuisine we have ever enjoyed in 50 years of extensive cruising.  The only slight negative on that line was the steak (on our cruise it was all sourced in Europe).   We have heard rumors that they are now sourcing their beef in the USA (they are currently cruising in the Caribbean).

Hank

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The only slight negative on that line was the steak (on our cruise it was all sourced in Europe). 

That would be an absolute positive for me. I do not particularly enjoy American steak and have rarely ordered it on trips to the States. I find it lacking in flavour compared with the beef here in Europe. Lots of reasons for that but discussion would be more suited to a food forum than a cruise one

• 1 month later...

The funny thing is over the past 10 years my cooking skills have improved dramatically and the food on cruises has declined substantially so now on average,  we generally enjoy better food at home than on cruises.  It is very rare that I am surprised with a great dish on a cruise and when I am, I can generally reproduce it afterwards.

I totally agree and that is the long term plan.

We're trying HAL again this July and maybe it will be marginally better but plan to try Seabourn and Oceania soon.