Passport and guest question

Hi all,

I would appreciate any insight into a couple admin related rcl item.

A family member is having her passport renewed for a short weekend cruise from fl to the Bahamas (Nassau and cococay).  Does she need to pay to have it expedited, or is a birth certificate (from the United States) ok?  Is there any risk with a birth certificate only?

Another family member is unsure about time off from work.  If this person needs to end up working the week of, can we replace him with another family member?

(same last name, and the other person in the cabin would be remaining thin same)

Thank you very much.

14 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Is there any risk with a birth certificate only?

The major downside is that she would require a passport in order to fly home should something happen that prevented her from continuing on the ship. For example, a medical emergency or simply not returning to the dock on time and missing her opportunity to reboard. The likelihood of an unplanned flight is very slim, but exists nevertheless. Whether paying the extra $60 is worthwhile depends on her level of risk tolerance, much the same as deliberating whether or not travel insurance is worth paying for.

Edited by Fouremco

Didn’t realize it’s only around $60 more for expedited.  Someone had told us it would be hundreds more.  Trying to find the best and quickest way through a local usps.

Thanks!

I have two relatives who are now coming up on a year waiting for their passports.  They've called, they've sent mail, etc.  Everyone says they'll take care of it, but, squat.  The cruise is past now.  They did NOT expedite because they had 9 months until the cruise.  Anyway, plan B, the birth certificates worked.

Just to clarify, a birth certificate alone will not be good. She will also need a government issued photo I.D. such as her driver's license. BTW, my daughter renewed her passport (changed to her married name) in August and she had it back in 3 weeks, non-expedited.

I haven’t used a birth certificate for quite a while, but was warned by someone on cruise critic that the name on the birth certificate must match the id or a bridging document must be shown.  For example, my birth certificate has my maiden name (obviously) and my driver license has my married name.  I would need my marriage license also.  I really don’t remember needing it years ago, but better safe than sorry.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:54 PM, ATG said:

I haven’t used a birth certificate for quite a while, but was warned by someone on cruise critic that the name on the birth certificate must match the id or a bridging document must be shown.  For example, my birth certificate has my maiden name (obviously) and my driver license has my married name.  I would need my marriage license also.  I really don’t remember needing it years ago, but better safe than sorry.

When they say bridging, they mean having a document thay proves a name change. I have never heard of anyone being denied boarding because the name on their BC didn't match that of their license in the case of marraige. Tons of people have been denied boarding because the name on the cruise documents did not match anything at all that they could provide with a picture ID such as drivers license and passport. Happens when the bride books under new married name but has nothing as far as government ID in that name