Bon Voyage to those on QM2/QV today

Host Hattie

I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the planned fireworks this evening via webcam. There's a Southampton VTS notice indicating the fireworks were to begin for QV at 1800 and for QM2 at approximately 1845. Not quite sure how that aligns in with QV's currently scheduled departure time of 1630 and QM2's departure time of 1800 but I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the planned fireworks this evening via webcam. There's a Southampton VTS notice indicating the fireworks were to begin for QV at 1800 and for QM2 at approximately 1845. Not quite sure how that aligns in with QV's currently scheduled departure time of 1630 and QM2's departure time of 1800 but I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

Are fireworks only traditional for World Cruises?

10 minutes ago, rtdiva said:

Are fireworks only traditional for World Cruises?

I think we can anticipate fireworks to accompany Queen Anne's naming ceremony and/or her departure on her maiden voyage. They also like to schedule fireworks to accompany some of the occasions when three Queens are in port together. Both Southampton and Liverpool come to mind for such occasions in the past. Others here may recall some other Cunard occasions accompanied by fireworks which I'm not able to recall at the moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think we can anticipate fireworks to accompany Queen Anne's naming ceremony and/or her departure on her maiden voyage. They also like to schedule fireworks to accompany some of the occasions when three Queens are in port together. Both Southampton and Liverpool come to mind for such occasions in the past. Others here may recall some other Cunard occasions accompanied by fireworks which I'm not able to recall at the moment.

We had fireworks in Hamburg once when QM2 and a vista were there. And years ago for QE2 in Halifax for no special reason I can remember.

• Thanks 1

There were fireworks for QE2's final departure from Southampton as she headed off on her final voyage to Dubai. Probably a common occurrence for both first and final voyages for Cunard ships over the years.

Solentships have a channel on the well known video clip (YT..) so should be on there. Not sure when the channel will be live - -237 waiting - one is me. Think doing QM2 on there as well. Hope they both get a lovely send off.

20 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a capture of some of the fireworks a few minutes ago for QV's departure on her 2024 world voyage. The is from the Solent Ships YouTube channel.

QVWorldCruiseDepartureFireworks.thumb.jpg.60ba1f02d84ea1f77b8c328e70421c4c.jpg

Here are a few more.

Screenshot_20240111-175917_YouTube.thumb.jpg.4f67568fba951a0886832774f746eac6.jpg

Screenshot_20240111-180036_YouTube.thumb.jpg.7415251c0ee9a1680a0b623a86a6cab9.jpg

Screenshot_20240111-180222_YouTube.thumb.jpg.1156f7d9fcf98ba8082387e5787e8667.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/11/2024 at 3:29 PM, bluemarble said:

Others here may recall some other Cunard occasions accompanied by fireworks which I'm not able to recall at the moment.

There were a few to send us off from Liverpool in May last year on QM2.