Transportation needed from Heathrow to Tower of London area for 9

30 minutes ago, Ocean Mouse said:

Elizabeth line to Whitechapel then District line to Tower Hill

Why? Apart from the element of backtracking in this route, one would have to negotiate the change at Whitechapel. With, presumably, all nine people's luggage. And pay the Elizabeth Line premium for the privilege.

16 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Why? Apart from the element of backtracking in this route, one would have to negotiate the change at Whitechapel. With, presumably, all nine people's luggage. And pay the Elizabeth Line premium for the privilege.

It’s what the TfL journey planner throws up (I was curious, so I checked….)  It will only show the much preferable Piccadilly/District Lines route if you specifically exclude the Elizabeth Line….They reckon it’s about 10 minutes quicker, hence the suggestion, and nothing to do with revenue at all 🤣

31 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

It’s what the TfL journey planner throws up (I was curious, so I checked….)

I think this adds to the reasons for treating the TfL planner's results with some scepticism, although those of us who use it frequently see plenty of reasons already.

For anyone with luggage, it's not a public transport route I'd recommend. The Elizabeth Line --> District Line change at Whitechapel is OK (although slightly irritating) if you don't have luggage. But if you do, don't do it, given that there's a better route for people with luggage: Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, cross-platform change, District Line to Tower Hill. Frankly, you could easily waste the best part of 10 minutes waiting for lifts at Whitechapel, especially with nine people and nine people's luggage.

Funnily enough, I'm not sure that revenue actually enters into it (for TfL). AIUI, the Elizabeth Line premium is to pay for the use of the tunnel, which has to be paid over to Heathrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Funnily enough, I'm not sure that revenue actually enters into it (for TfL). AIUI, the Elizabeth Line premium is to pay for the use of the tunnel, which has to be paid over to Heathrow

Good point, but I wonder if that’s on a per passenger basis 😀

Given its service record, you might think TfL would want to take some of the load off the EL…