OCEANIA HELL: A reason to use another cruise line.

Bongomauka

3 minutes ago, Bongomauka said:

Sorry I pressed submit prematurely. #6 we purchased our travelers insurance from our online travel agency. It was Oceania who actually sent the PAF invoice to us through their third party insurance company processor. 
Thank you for responding and any thoughts you may have would be gratefully received. 

And just to double check, because you used an third party travel insurer (which one? giving us more info could help a lot...) are you sure they are secondary and not primary?

Also, perhaps what is happening could be used for a "secondary" claim?  (perhaps the insurers could fight it out!?  wishful thinking, I know!)

And who sold you that policy?  They may be able to help?

Just thinking of possibilities...!

GC

Part of me is starting to feel that OP is maybe ‘attention seeking’.

He/she has been involved in this mess for 9 months and it’s appears to be the primary focus of each and every waking moment. What a dreadful waste of 9 months of life.

The reason for my assumption is that every constructive idea that has been posted here has been rejected for one reason or another. Also the time OP has spent  here would  be better spent speaking to those (insurers) who, in reality, are the only ones that can help.

My guess is, that if he/she is ‘hounding’ everyone involved on a daily basis they may also have lost track of the whole situation. Sometimes, with constant badgering, you tend to lose focus on the ‘real’ issue, in other words you can’t see the wood for the trees.

Bongomauka, as has already been said, maybe you should put all your energy into finding a way through the maze rather than spending so much time here.

I wish only a good outcome.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 5

This has become a long thread so I may not be tracking everything, have you written a factual letter to the CEO of Oceania asking for their assistance in resolving this matter?  That should get you the name of person who would be accountable and who you could continue to work with until this is resolved.  If you have already done that, and I missed why that is not working, I'm sorry for mentioning it again.

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

At this point I think you really need to spend less time here and fully concentrate on the issue at hand. Many people have provided input and you say you will do it and/or then drop another tidbit of information not previously shared to confuse the matter even more. Just a lot of ‘odd’ posts. One constant is your bashing of Oceania and as many have noted hard to tell who really is at fault at this point. And no….it will not make me reconsider cruising with Oceania because of a one off very unusual situation in which we may or may not be getting the whole story. Or at the very most just one side of the story. You may want to go update your file and remove Oceania as your favorite cruise line at this point. All my opinion above but I honestly think more to the story. And I hope your partner is doing fine and completely recovered. Thankfully it sounds as if the medical department on Oceania made  prompt and necessary decisions for your partner. 

I must apologize but I’m sure I am angry and frustrated after 9 months of having to unfruitfully deal with this claim. Also I apologize for not putting all the information in one post as I was hoping posters would have read previous posts with the rest of the pertinent information but realize that might be expecting too much given the sheer number of posts. If you find my posts to be too much Oceania bashing, I certainly can understand. I am exceedingly angry with Oceania/NCL Holdings for prolonging this process, especially given my partner’s now compromised health. I hope I did not imply that the staff on the Oceania Marina were anything less than stellar. Under the circumstances, the concierge staff, the medical staff, and the housekeeping staff were all exemplary.  And to your well taken point, yes this may be a one off and I sincerely hope it is, but I also hope NCL’s handling of this situation is also one off and not their typical corporate response in similar situations where their assistance is required. Lastly, you are right, this is my side of the story, NOT Oceania/NCL Holdings or their third party insurance processor, our primary insurance company or their third party claims processor, or our independent travelers insurance company, and certainly not my partner’s. I would be more than happy to read/share their side of the story should that be forthcoming. I will pledge to include their comments should I receive them in future posts. 

6 minutes ago, stan01 said:

This has become a long thread so I may not be tracking everything, have you written a factual letter to the CEO of Oceania asking for their assistance in resolving this matter?  That should get you the name of person who would be accountable and who you could continue to work with until this is resolved.  If you have already done that, and I missed why that is not working, I'm sorry for mentioning it again.

Thanks stan01 for your fortitude in slogging through many of these posts. I’m afraid I’ve become redundant in an attempt to respond to all the kind support and helpful advice. We have indeed sent letters to the corporate higher ups in hopes of resolving this frustrating issue. I also am confused as to why our letters aren’t working. Those that get a response usually say they will look into it. We have been waiting for response or action for close to 3 months. It would seem that there would be some documentation of NCL paying the Portuguese AIr Force which is all we need. 

14 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Part of me is starting to feel that OP is maybe ‘attention seeking’.

He/she has been involved in this mess for 9 months and it’s appears to be the primary focus of each and every waking moment. What a dreadful waste of 9 months of life.

The reason for my assumption is that every constructive idea that has been posted here has been rejected for one reason or another. Also the time OP has spent  here would  be better spent speaking to those (insurers) who, in reality, are the only ones that can help.

My guess is, that if he/she is ‘hounding’ everyone involved on a daily basis they may also have lost track of the whole situation. Sometimes, with constant badgering, you tend to lose focus on the ‘real’ issue, in other words you can’t see the wood for the trees.

Bongomauka, as has already been said, maybe you should put all your energy into finding a way through the maze rather than spending so much time here.

I wish only a good outcome.

You are right! A dreadful waste of 9 months. Unfortunately it goes on. I’m sorry for giving the impression that the advice is all being rejected. I hope I’ve demonstrated my gratitude for all the support and suggestions. Some of the suggestions we have already put in motion and are waiting for them to work, other advice we have taken to heart and have started, like contacting Elliott.com and have renewed our search for an attorney who can help us. As to spending time on this post, I feel that having asked the community for input, I feel responsible that every post should be answered as thoughtfully as I’m capable. While I’m here posting, my partner is hammering away trying to resolve this issue with frequent input from me, much of it from advice gotten here. But you are right, that approach is seemingly now all consuming and so your advice is well taken. Thank you. 

1 minute ago, broberts said:

Wow, the company cheerleaders are out in force! 😒

Have you read all 181 posts?

Have you offered any constructive help?

If not then you really shouldn’t comment and ‘mock’ those of us who have.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And just to double check, because you used an third party travel insurer (which one? giving us more info could help a lot...) are you sure they are secondary and not primary?

Also, perhaps what is happening could be used for a "secondary" claim?  (perhaps the insurers could fight it out!?  wishful thinking, I know!)

And who sold you that policy?  They may be able to help?

Just thinking of possibilities...!

GC

Thanks. Yes our travel insurance policy (Generali purchased from our travel agent) explicitly states that our healthcare insurance is primary and that their policy will not apply till the primary declines the claim. We haven’t yet reached out to the TA but plan to as soon as the holiday is over. Thanks again. 

34 minutes ago, Bongomauka said:

Sorry I pressed submit prematurely. #6 we purchased our travelers insurance from our online travel agency. It was Oceania who actually sent the PAF invoice to us through their third party insurance company processor. 
Thank you for responding and any thoughts you may have would be gratefully received. 

When you were evacuated did you give Oceania any of your travel insurance policy information? If so one or both?

Have you opened a claim with the travelers policy?

Other that receiving the invoice from the Oceania insurance company have you had any other communications with them?

At what level are you working with at Oceania or NCLH?

Have you tried contacting senior mgt at either organization? Oceania or NCLH?

I would not do anything with an attorney at this stage. As a former corporate executive whenever there was an issue and we received a letter from an attorney, all work would stop, the matter would get referred to in house legal staff, and would only proceed at their direction. Sloeing things down considerably. Many large companies operate that way. Contacting their legal department asking for advice on how to solve the current problem to prevent a future legal issue might be a good approach but formal letters just tend to get large companies going into legal protect mode.

This thread feels like it has gotten out of hand.

Lots of good suggestions for the OP to follow up this week.

I suggest we let the OP do that then report back.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Have you read all 181 posts?

Have you offered any constructive help?

If not then you really shouldn’t comment and ‘mock’ those of us who have.

You obviously haven't read all 181 posts as I have offered what I believe is a constructive suggestion.

I was not mocking people. I was pointing out that many posters seem more interested in proving the OP in the wrong. Must let any stain on the holy cruise line. 🙄

8 minutes ago, broberts said:

You obviously haven't read all 181 posts as I have offered what I believe is a constructive suggestion.

I was not mocking people. I was pointing out that many posters seem more interested in proving the OP in the wrong. Must let any stain on the holy cruise line. 🙄

I have read all the posts and given constructive advice.

Maybe I missed your posts I wasn’t really checking who had said what. Just that  your ‘throw away’ comment seemed a little out of place when there have been so many posters here that have been genuinely trying to help.

Sometimes the written word on these threads doesn't come across as the way we would ‘say’ it in person. Yours appeared ‘mocking’. My apologies if I misinterpreted it.

24 minutes ago, Woofa said:

This thread feels like it has gotten out of hand.

Lots of good suggestions for the OP to follow up this week.

I suggest we let the OP do that then report back.

The OP has somehow fallen into a process gap. One where people might have good intentions and expectations, but does not get resolved by normal process.

As a result trying to dig down into things to try and see how it might have arisen.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRLD said:

When you were evacuated did you give Oceania any of your travel insurance policy information? If so one or both?

Have you opened a claim with the travelers policy?

Other that receiving the invoice from the Oceania insurance company have you had any other communications with them?

At what level are you working with at Oceania or NCLH?

Have you tried contacting senior mgt at either organization? Oceania or NCLH?

I would not do anything with an attorney at this stage. As a former corporate executive whenever there was an issue and we received a letter from an attorney, all work would stop, the matter would get referred to in house legal staff, and would only proceed at their direction. Sloeing things down considerably. Many large companies operate that way. Contacting their legal department asking for advice on how to solve the current problem to prevent a future legal issue might be a good approach but formal letters just tend to get large companies going into legal protect mode.

Thank you for your well considered post. The exemplary staff aboard the Marina helped me research both our primary healthcare insurance and travelers insurance onboard the ship, even assisting me in opening the travelers insurance claim before the evacuation of my partner took place. Our almost daily communications with Oceania is through their third party insurance processor from whom we received the Portuguese Air Force invoice. We have reached out to several executives at Oceania/NCL Holdings including Mr Del Rio and have talked to their executive office via telephone and letter. We have also contacted the promissory note department, Executive desk department, and Oceania guest services. We have so far received a reply from Ms. Leon-Meredith, Director of Financial Services at NCLH stating the situation and that she has put requests for documents. 
Thank you so much for your valuable insight into how an attorney letter may throw a further wrench into our struggles. We will need to hold off on that option in spite of several posters suggesting otherwise. 

54 minutes ago, broberts said:

Wow, the company cheerleaders are out in force! 😒

Nope. Have never sailed on O, but I'm actively considering a couple of their itineraries right now. I am working up quotes between them and their competition. I'm no sycophant for any cruise line or anybody.

An air medical evacuation is rare enough as it is. Furthermore, I have a different travel insurer and a different healthcare insurer. So, to say I should look and consider a different line.... hyperbole much?

As somebody mentioned above, it appears that the normal business workflow for these types of rare and unfortunate situations has broken down. Though, this is not an attack on OP, but a business comm class would greatly help. We need a straightforward listing of the facts. If I had even more time, I'm sure I could write every point I made in this thread in far fewer words.

Edited by Mike07

29 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The OP has somehow fallen into a process gap. One where people might have good intentions and expectations, but does not get resolved by normal process.

As a result trying to dig down into things to try and see how it might have arisen.

Agree.

@Bongomauka suggest you use a corrected version of @TRLD's bullet points and reach out to a consumer advocacy organization, either local to you (say a TV station's) or at elliot.org. Elliott in particular is skilled at reaching out to companies that have stopped talking to the consumer.

Highly recommend you stick just to bullet points in the first email, you can always fill in with more narrative later. If you start with a long narrative many places will just ignore it - which is sad, since a full narrative of this saga would need to be long!

If you do reach out to a consumer advocate, I am guessing we might not hear back on this board on this topic for a while - may your quest go well!!

1 hour ago, Bongomauka said:

Thank you for your well considered post. The exemplary staff aboard the Marina helped me research both our primary healthcare insurance and travelers insurance onboard the ship, even assisting me in opening the travelers insurance claim before the evacuation of my partner took place. Our almost daily communications with Oceania is through their third party insurance processor from whom we received the Portuguese Air Force invoice. We have reached out to several executives at Oceania/NCL Holdings including Mr Del Rio and have talked to their executive office via telephone and letter. We have also contacted the promissory note department, Executive desk department, and Oceania guest services. We have so far received a reply from Ms. Leon-Meredith, Director of Financial Services at NCLH stating the situation and that she has put requests for documents. 
Thank you so much for your valuable insight into how an attorney letter may throw a further wrench into our struggles. We will need to hold off on that option in spite of several posters suggesting otherwise. 

One thing I find unusual in this is why did the invoice get forwarded to you from Oceania's recommended insurance company instead of coming directly from Oceania. That might have had a hand in this mess. Almost like someone made a mistake and sent it to them thinking that your policy was with them and only when they realized that you did not have a policy did they send it to you. 

She would be one of the contacts that I would recommend after looking at their corporate structure. How long ago did you hear from her?

If I was you I would still send an email mail to the Portuguese rescue administrative office for the region you were evacuated from and see if they could give you contact information for who ever handles billing. You might be able to get some more clues to unwinding this mess.

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Agree.

@Bongomauka suggest you use a corrected version of @TRLD's bullet points and reach out to a consumer advocacy organization, either local to you (say a TV station's) or at elliot.org. Elliott in particular is skilled at reaching out to companies that have stopped talking to the consumer.

Highly recommend you stick just to bullet points in the first email, you can always fill in with more narrative later. If you start with a long narrative many places will just ignore it - which is sad, since a full narrative of this saga would need to be long!

If you do reach out to a consumer advocate, I am guessing we might not hear back on this board on this topic for a while - may your quest go well!!

Thank you babysteps and TRLD for your much appreciated support and advice. We’re already in contact with Elliott and have been preparing to contact a local tv consumer watchdog team. I will definitely keep this thread updated as to further trials and tribulations and hopefully a happy resolution. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bongomauka said:

Thank you babysteps and TRLD for your much appreciated support and advice. We’re already in contact with Elliott and have been preparing to contact a local tv consumer watchdog team. I will definitely keep this thread updated as to further trials and tribulations and hopefully a happy resolution. 

Bongomauka,

If this is not too personal, with so much action on this topic, would you mind saying approximately how much did this medical evacuation cost? 

i.e. what magnitude of a problem is everyone discussing?

I apologize for the omission but another poster mentioned the cruise ship staff and their role. The exemplary service to my partner and me throughout the medical emergency, medivac, and subsequent disembarkation was outstanding. My disappointment is with Norwegian Cruise Lines Holdings who have made the insurance claim process a hellish nightmare not the ship’s staff. 
The Oceania Marina’s amazing concierge, the housekeeping staff, the medical staff, even the food service staff who helped with the helicopter evacuation as well as the rest of the crew were amazing. They were so kind, supportive, sympathetic and respectful and I’m sure we got through that ordeal relatively intact because of them. 

7 minutes ago, Tsunami74 said:

Bongomauka,

If this is not too personal, with so much action on this topic, would you mind saying approximately how much did this medical evacuation cost? 

i.e. what magnitude of a problem is everyone discussing?

That’s a good question and may put this all in perspective. The bill for the evacuation is well over $100,000.

13 minutes ago, Bongomauka said:

That’s a good question and may put this all in perspective. The bill for the evacuation is well over $100,000.

Yes that puts all this discussion in perspective!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bongomauka said:

We have so far received a reply from Ms. Leon-Meredith, Director of Financial Services at NCLH stating the situation and that she has put requests for documents. 

Have you written back to her to thank her for her help but told her you have still not received the "documents"