Is it normal for the on-board activities itinerary to change a lot near the sailing date?

1412p0oi

I just felt a bit puzzled and also disappointed that I spent so much time a few weeks ago deciding on what events to go to on my upcoming Princess cruise this weekend, and then I checked the app again today and a lot of events and times changed. Does this happen each time? 

Also for Princess cruises, if an event shows full in the bookmark page can I still attend? If it’s a limited workshop, how early would I need to go to secure a spot? 

1 hour ago, 1412p0oi said:

I just felt a bit puzzled and also disappointed that I spent so much time a few weeks ago deciding on what events to go to on my upcoming Princess cruise this weekend, and then I checked the app again today and a lot of events and times changed. Does this happen each time? 

Also for Princess cruises, if an event shows full in the bookmark page can I still attend? If it’s a limited workshop, how early would I need to go to secure a spot? 

I'll talk about your questions both from a Princess perspective and also about charter cruises. Sadly, the other cruise lines I've been on have little or nothing available on their app schedules before embarkation day. 

I have found that Princess schedules change a lot on the app from initial release to embarkation day.  They change less after embarkation. 

And yes, you can attend an event that shows as completely full. No events on Princess require reservations and seating is first come, first serve. If an event shows as full, I certainly would consider arriving earlier than I would ordinarily. I'll defer to others about exactly how early to show up.

And now on to those charters. They usually release a tentative schedule between a week and a month before the cruise. I have found them to be much more consistent than what Princess offers early,  but they too can change for all the usual reasons. 

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

With 34 Princess cruises under our belt. we think we have a little experience with this issue.  Always keep in mind that Princess has both an Entertainment Director and Cruise Director and both are very involved with the day to day activity schedule. While they have a tentative schedule by the start of a cruise, the schedule can (and does) change on a routine basis.  You can usually count on the schedule you get the evening before (for the following day) but we have even seen schedule changes on the "day of."  This is especially true for activities/entertainment that involves guest entertainers, singers, dancers, etc.  Folks get sick, there can be technical difficulties (this just happened on our Sky Princess cruise) and sea conditions can cause the postponement/cancellation of entertainment involving dancers.

Over the decades we have learned to plan our following day around bedtime (after looking at the following day's printed schedule) and even make our own adjustments during the day.  No need to over plan as its easy to just do what feels right at the time :).  We even change our dinner plans, at the last minute, to deal with the current situation.  So, for example, if we are planning to dine at 7:30 (and even have a reservation) but enjoying ourselves in a lounge (during pre dinner cocktails) we might just delay going to dinner.  Of course, this means that our entire evening plan must be revamped...but so what?  Do what feels right at the time and do not get hung up on following a detailed itinerary :).

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

With 34 Princess cruises under our belt. we think we have a little experience with this issue.  Always keep in mind that Princess has both an Entertainment Director and Cruise Director and both are very involved with the day to day activity schedule. While they have a tentative schedule by the start of a cruise, the schedule can (and does) change on a routine basis.  You can usually count on the schedule you get the evening before (for the following day) but we have even seen schedule changes on the "day of."  This is especially true for activities/entertainment that involves guest entertainers, singers, dancers, etc.  Folks get sick, there can be technical difficulties (this just happened on our Sky Princess cruise) and sea conditions can cause the postponement/cancellation of entertainment involving dancers.

Over the decades we have learned to plan our following day around bedtime (after looking at the following day's printed schedule) and even make our own adjustments during the day.  No need to over plan as its easy to just do what feels right at the time :).  We even change our dinner plans, at the last minute, to deal with the current situation.  So, for example, if we are planning to dine at 7:30 (and even have a reservation) but enjoying ourselves in a lounge (during pre dinner cocktails) we might just delay going to dinner.  Of course, this means that our entire evening plan must be revamped...but so what?  Do what feels right at the time and do not get hung up on following a detailed itinerary :).

Hank

Thank you for the information! 

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It might help to do some research on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

I’ve already been stalking that board for weeks now checking up all the posts that come up and also searched about this. Since the question was half geared towards all cruises and half geared towards Princess specifically I felt it was better to ask here. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:17 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I have found that Princess schedules change a lot on the app from initial release to embarkation day.  They change less after embarkation. 

I imagine this sums it up pretty well.  I've never really looked at activities prior to embarkation, but do agree they don't change very much after we are on board.   

• Like 1