Flight from Newark

We have a cruise in June out of New Jersey and are looking at booking a flight.  We live in Toronto.  There are two options for the return flight....11am or 2pm. 

Is the 11am too early if we self disembark?  Would be nice to just head to the airport post cruise and get home but don't want to miss our flight. 

Thanks. 

11 is very

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

We have a cruise in June out of New Jersey and are looking at booking a flight.  We live in Toronto.  There are two options for the return flight....11am or 2pm. 

Is the 11am too early if we self disembark?  Would be nice to just head to the airport post cruise and get home but don't want to miss our flight. 

Thanks. 

11 is very doable.  Normal ship docking is around 6 AM.  Assuming ship's clearing occurs at 7 and with the Facial Technology going thru Customs is a snap.  Airport is approximately 20 minutes.  Therefore, IMHO, you should be at the airport around 8:30-9 AM.

My only caution would be that at times docking in Cape Liberty is delayed because of shipping traffic. I was on the Celebrity Summit which leaves out of the same terminal and we were delayed in even getting docked until about 9:30am due to shipping traffic (there was a large cargo ship that was leaving that needed the entire lane; even the cargo ship docked across from our terminal had to back out). I think debarkation started at 9:45ish, so for me that would make 11am too close for comfort.

We were lucky ad the captain notified us during his noon announcements the day before so people had time to contact their airlines, etc. (it was a moot point for me as I was just grabbing a Lyft or Uber), but I understand that it has happened more than once with Royal ships as well, and they don't always get notice.

It may not happen super often, but it's something to be aware of as you may get at best one day's notice on it; at worst the morning of.

• Like 1

Personally i would lean towards the 11 am flight as we walk off with our bags in tow , but i typically 

like at least a 12 pm flight for a little more wiggle room. 

If i miss it , then at least there is a chance to get on the 2 pm flight.

There is just the two of us , and the flight is only 2 hours , so no biggy if we dont sit together .

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My only caution would be that at times docking in Cape Liberty is delayed because of shipping traffic. I was on the Celebrity Summit which leaves out of the same terminal and we were delayed in even getting docked until about 9:30am due to shipping traffic (there was a large cargo ship that was leaving that needed the entire lane; even the cargo ship docked across from our terminal had to back out). I think debarkation started at 9:45ish, so for me that would make 11am too close for comfort.

We were lucky ad the captain notified us during his noon announcements the day before so people had time to contact their airlines, etc. (it was a moot point for me as I was just grabbing a Lyft or Uber), but I understand that it has happened more than once with Royal ships as well, and they don't always get notice.

It may not happen super often, but it's something to be aware of as you may get at best one day's notice on it; at worst the morning of.

Thanks for mentioning.  Not sure which one we are leaning but good to know that there is a risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loman said:

Personally i would lean towards the 11 am flight as we walk off with our bags in tow , but i typically 

like at least a 12 pm flight for a little more wiggle room. 

If i miss it , then at least there is a chance to get on the 2 pm flight.

There is just the two of us , and the flight is only 2 hours , so no biggy if we dont sit together .

Yeah, with the airline we are using for points, we only have the option of 11am and next one is 2pm.  If 12pm, then that would be an easier decision.

• Like 1