check in time for Ft Lauderdale airport post cruise

sun&sea

I seem to remember there was a restriction on the amount of time you are able to checkin for your flight at the ft Lauderdale airport when you disembark from your cruise. Is it 2 hours prior to your flight or 3 hours? More?

It's been a while since we flew through that arport. Thanks.

Janet

9 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

I seem to remember there was a restriction on the amount of time you are able to checkin for your flight at the ft Lauderdale airport when you disembark from your cruise. Is it 2 hours prior to your flight or 3 hours? More?

It's been a while since we flew through that arport. Thanks.

Janet

No more than 4 hours before.

We printed our BP and checked our baggage curbside, NP.

Other times, we used EZ Check with PCL and they took care of everything. 

Edited by PacnGoNow

I would confirm the restriction with your airline.  IIRC from posts made here, they do not all have the same restriction at FLL.

Added:  I was curious about this and found the following on the FLL official website (https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/pages/cruisepassengers.aspx)

Due to peak cruise travel activity with multiple ships in South Florida ports, airlines at FLL may only be able to check your bags up to two hours before your scheduled flight. This is necessary to ensure that all passengers receive their luggage at their final destination. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.
Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I would confirm the restriction with your airline.  IIRC from posts made here, they do not all have the same restriction at FLL.

Added:  I was curious about this and found the following on the FLL official website (https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/pages/cruisepassengers.aspx)

Due to peak cruise travel activity with multiple ships in South Florida ports, airlines at FLL may only be able to check your bags up to two hours before your scheduled flight. This is necessary to ensure that all passengers receive their luggage at their final destination. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

That’s a great resource for cruisers.  Definitely, check with your airline, because domestic is usually 2 hours ahead, whereas International checkin is normally 3 hours ahead.  So, it really varies.

18 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No more than 4 hours before.

We printed our BP and checked our baggage curbside, NP.

Other times, we used EZ Check with PCL and they took care of everything. 

Thank you to @capricciofor checking on the FLL airport site.

Seems 2 hours max is on the website.  Exception, International flights and definitely check with your airline.  

depends on the airline, but it's not for check-in, but for luggage drop-off. 

You can check in for your flight at any time within 24 hours before the flight, online.

You can check in in person at the airport, but some airlines will not take your luggage more than 4 hours before your flight. Spirit, for example.

That said, we were very surprised when Spirit allowed us to drop our luggage off about 7 hours before our flight at FLL. We were at the airport around 10:30 am for our 6 pm flight in November, Saturday of Thanksgiving week. When I asked about the 4 hour limit, the lady said that it was for super busy days like Sunday of the Thanksgiving week.

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

Thank you for this information. We are looking to have our bags transferred to the airport by the cruiseline. Therefore, we would only have our carryons. I assume we will be able to go through security whenever we want??? Is it just the bags that have the restrictions?

2 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

Thank you for this information. We are looking to have our bags transferred to the airport by the cruiseline. Therefore, we would only have our carryons. I assume we will be able to go through security whenever we want??? Is it just the bags that have the restrictions?

Since the warning specifically mentions luggage, I don’t think there is a restriction for going thru security.  

We flew home from FLL yesterday.  Our flight was at Noon and we arrived at the airport around 8:40 a.m. (We were on the Sky Princess). I was holding my breath when the guard asked me our flight time.  Fortunately, she let us go through.  FLL was pretty calm yesterday,  The last time I was there (February 1, 2020), it was chaos.  

19 minutes ago, antmaril said:

We flew home from FLL yesterday.  Our flight was at Noon and we arrived at the airport around 8:40 a.m. (We were on the Sky Princess). I was holding my breath when the guard asked me our flight time.  Fortunately, she let us go through.  FLL was pretty calm yesterday,  The last time I was there (February 1, 2020), it was chaos.  

Glad you had no problems!

Out of curiosity and information that might be helpful to others flying out of the FLL this high season:  what terminal and did the guard ask which airline you were flying?

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Glad you had no problems!

Out of curiosity and information that might be helpful to others flying out of the FLL this high season:  what terminal and did the guard ask which airline you were flying?

We flew out of Terminal 2.  The guard did not ask our airline, just the time.