Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Thank you @Planning to cruise. While it is certainly possible to go to Budapest if you have a city trip planned one needs to be aware that infrastructure is strained, roads and trams affected. For most people just an inconvenience and easy to over come. But things are certainly not normal in Budapest. For a river cruiser planning to board in three days time it will not be a normal experience of the beautiful city and it looks like landing stages will be at least partly not accessible. Question is: will river traffic be suspended soon? I could not find any info on what the policy of the authorities is for the stretch between Esztergom and Budapest.

https://www.budapesttimes.hu/

Budapest is getting ready for a flood that exceeds the one of winter.

Passau gauge has risen to 816cm.

notamermaid

• Like 2

By the way, - forgot to mention this yesterday - Budapest has webcams.

Passau: https://www.feratel.com/webcams/deutschland/passau.html

The Danube basin now (note that the cluster of dots top right is going towards the Elbe):

image.png.edf16a328f313e8fb3bc15ae10fb8ff9.png

At least there is far less rain over the areas now and the weather is very much improving.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Hearing Avalon is cancelling some cruises, and if possible, moving them to other rivers if clients wish.

Yes, I have read that, also. Avalon is typically very proactive in irregular situations. 
Meanwhile, Viking is claiming their operations has been unaffected by this historic flood, according to a BBC report linked upthread.  To which I say, Balderdash!  No one is sailing the Danube at least in some sections where Austria has closed the river. It’s only going to get worse between Vienna and Budapest over the next few days.  
Typical Viking disinformation.  

• Like 2

We are on Travelmarvel in Budapest and it was cancelled late yesterday after noon. We are curious as to whether they would have known before we boarded Sunday or at least early Monday?

Not a lot of help. Just told contact your insurance company and your travel agent. It's a difficult situation I know. We are from. Australia and 4 more weeks of travel after this. Hoping Munich is OK as that's where we are flying to.

Edited by jcruizer
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, jcruizer said:

We are on Travelmarvel in Budapest and it was cancelled late yesterday after noon. We are curious as to whether they would have known before we boarded Sunday or at least early Monday?

Not a lot of help. Just told contact your insurance company and your travel agent. It's a difficult situation I know. We are from. Australia and 4 more weeks of travel after this. Hoping Munich is OK as that's where we are flying to.

They surely knew of the overwhelming likelihood of this happening. 

I assure you, Munich is not being impacted by the flooding on the Danube. You should have nothing but sunshine over the next several days. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daisi said:

Hearing Avalon is cancelling some cruises, and if possible, moving them to other rivers if clients wish.

I wish Emerald would cancel our Trip leaving Budapest on Sunday the 22. Can't see anything positive happening in a couple of days. Not interested in an expensive bus trip when it can be avoided.

• Like 1

Hard to believe a year ago we were worried about low water - and right to do so, the last day of our itinerary was changed - and this year is the third flood since Christmas.

I suppose I would say that river cruising is an adventure and to enjoy being in beautiful, historic, fascinating cities and villages no matter the circumstances. There will be interesting people in the ship and wonderful stories to tell regardless of how the cruise turns out. Perhaps you could take every bus or decline them all and know one place perfectly. 

Edited by Izengolf
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Kenster said:

Viking is claiming their operations has been unaffected by this historic flood, according to a BBC report linked upthread.  

What a load of something or other [enter annoyance emoji]. Viking river cruise ships are stuck like all others. Proof: track of Viking Gymir:

image.png.f909d5a930a42e1fcbcfedf495cf668f.png

Next shot:

image.png.9f3123acdaec43ee790cd00dd51a9c17.png

I will probably be able to do this for a few more hours - or a day...

You can do it all yourself with any other ship you can spot of course. For example like with the Amelia in Vienna. Clue is red squiggly lines in one spot (not a guarantee):

image.thumb.png.d026368c6b4b48784a62d7cc340df13e.png

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:16.410/centery:48.226/zoom:14

notamermaid

• Like 3

No movement whatsoever in Austria:

image.thumb.png.427618725f8d933392959b6312460aaf.png

Just saying, I mean, who knows, someone may like to keep a record, for interest's sake or insurance purposes. Time stamp local time in the fine print at the bottom.

Regularly updated so if you would like to have a certain time stamp you need to make a screen shot: https://www.doris.bmk.gv.at/en/fairway-information/fairway-condition

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jcruizer said:

We are curious as to whether they would have known before we boarded Sunday or at least early Monday?

You boarded Sunday in Budapest to get to Amsterdam, the long journey? See my post above, sections of the Danube in Austria have been closed since Saturday. Sorry.

With the weather improving, I am sure Munich will be a great experience.

notamermaid

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

What a load of something or other [enter annoyance emoji]. Viking river cruise ships are stuck like all others. Proof: track of Viking Gymir:

image.png.f909d5a930a42e1fcbcfedf495cf668f.png

Next shot:

image.png.9f3123acdaec43ee790cd00dd51a9c17.png

I will probably be able to do this for a few more hours - or a day...

You can do it all yourself with any other ship you can spot of course. For example like with the Amelia in Vienna. Clue is red squiggly lines in one spot (not a guarantee):

image.thumb.png.d026368c6b4b48784a62d7cc340df13e.png

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:16.410/centery:48.226/zoom:14

notamermaid

TUI Skyla and Maya are parked up out of the way in Bratislava. I’m guessing the locations on Marine Traffic are not 100% accurate, if so, then there’s some really strange “Park Jobs” going on with river boats at the moment🤪

IMG_5235.png

IMG_5234.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

Moving to other rivers is a good idea. It could even be possible to be on the ship you originally booked. If you were supposed to sail from Nuremberg to Budapest, the company could in theory send your ship in the other direction. A good time on the Main would be almost guaranteed at least as regards scenery and sailing. No problems with high or low water at this time. Apart from the sundeck being closed, the low bridges should also be okay now.

Or you could fly from Budapest to Basel and board a Rhine cruise if the timing works out. Or sail another time.

I am sure Avalon is handling all this well. I have read little criticism of the company over the years.

notamermaid

• Like 4

It took a bit of searching but - with caution - I would say that this is the relevant announcement for the Danube from Szentendre to Budapest as regards navigation. I google translated the pdf file

https://pannonris.hu/pdf/086_Du_2024/086_Du_2024_hu.pdf

and the last section B 2. says "in the case of water levels reaching or exceeding 640 cm measured on the Budapest water gauge, navigation is prohibited."

Note that I post this for informational purposes only, I have no authority and I am not implying anything.

From "Hungary Today": https://hungarytoday.hu/flood-protection-on-the-danube-in-full-swing/

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid I personally was quite satisfied last year when we ran into low water, they handled it very well, and I didn't hear any complaints. We have been very happy with how Avalon handles problems, from Covid to our last cruise with low water.

I saw a posting with photos (sorry, but not mine so don't feel right sharing them) of a whole batch of cruise ships docked at the  Pálenisko cargo port in Bratislava, Can't make out what lines, but there are a lot!

I feel for everyone who planned so much only to have the rivers flood.

• Like 3

There is an old adage - It’s better to be safe than sorry - so cancelling however bad it will be for all cruisers and I feel for them, the amount of pressure these water levels are placing on infrastructure, locals and especially rescue services is  horrendous. Fingers crossed it calms down sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

We were informed today that Tauck Savor has canceled the rest of our cruise effective tomorrow. Yesterday we were bussed from Budapest to Bratislava and thence to Vienna, where we are now.  Tomorrow we will be bussed to Prague, the original endpoint.  Those who have Tauck insurance have received new air arrangements.   Others have been scampering to get additional nights in Prague and keep their own original reservations.   Tauck has stated it will make a refund for the missed portions of the trip, but nobody is focusing on that right now.  The Savor is stuck in Budapest and not going anywhere soon. 

The water in Bratislava was very high and swift.  The water in the canals in Vienna has receded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1