Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

It is getting hotter again so we have severe weather warnings in parts of Germany, it may extend to the Danube valley later today. Much room in the river though now, it has been dry enough for the Danube to loose crucial centimetres that will continue to allow passage under the bridges, at least today and tomorrow. The forecast for Sunday is too tentative to say.

notamermaid

• Like 1

In Vukovar today along with Viking Ullur. We had easy exit this morning and Viking folks had to cross over both sundecks to get out. Our ship repositioned to another dock in the afternoon to resupply and when we returned from our afternoon excursion, our ship was on the outside and we had to go up and over the sundecks. Still VERY HOT.

It’s been about 100° F (with the heat index a little more) every day. It looks like it will be cooler as we approach Germany. We’re almost to Budapest now and the forecast is for mid-90s. In Mohács yesterday for Pécs. Viking Rinda was with us and both of us could tie up to the dock so easy exits.

7 hours ago, Bebe W said:

Just curious - how hot is VERY HOT? Starting a Grand Circle cruise from Bucharest to Budapest in two weeks.

Currently it´s an up and down actually... One day hot and sunny with 31°C, next day overcast and rain with only 20°C and today hot and sunny with 28°C. Tomorrow up to 32°C and I think Tuesday the thunderstorms set in again and it will be "colder".

steamboats

To Steamboats - where are you? We’re in Budapest today having come from Constanța and yesterday was the first cloud we’ve seen and it wasn’t very big. It’s gotten a little hazy here in Budapest. As might be expected, there are LOTS of riverboats in Budapest. We tied up next to the dock then another ship tied up to us. Now the positions are reversed. As I understand it, the ship that will be leaving first will probably be on the outside. Also, the ship that is disembarking passengers and their luggage will be against the dock. As for the heat, AccuWeather tells me the feel like temp is 102°. The issue is there is no respite. None of the buildings/churches have air conditioning and the AC on the excursion buses is weak.

We saw the level of the Danube go up briefly to a not so pleasant level, just a short wave. Passau peaked at 664cm last night. Likewise Schwabelweis near Regensburg peaked in the early hours of yesterday, the figure was 364cm. If any problems arose they should have cleared by now. The levels will most likely go down a bit further still.

notamermaid

On 7/13/2024 at 10:19 PM, steamboats said:

Currently it´s an up and down actually... One day hot and sunny with 31°C, next day overcast and rain with only 20°C and today hot and sunny with 28°C. Tomorrow up to 32°C and I think Tuesday the thunderstorms set in again and it will be "colder".

steamboats

Steamboats!!! Hello...how are you? I've just booked a Rhine cruise on the new line Riverside...remembering how helpful you were to Kenneth and I on our trip to your "neck of the woods"!! Great to "see" you!!! 

11 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Steamboats!!! Hello...how are you? I've just booked a Rhine cruise on the new line Riverside...remembering how helpful you were to Kenneth and I on our trip to your "neck of the woods"!! Great to "see" you!!! 

Hi LuAnn,

Great to "see" you again!

Great choice with Riverside! I haven't had the pleasure yet to cruise with them but they are in my bucket list. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy your cruise.

steamboats 

• Like 1

The situation on the German Danube I would say is looking pleasant now. We have rain and thunderstorms that do not raise the levels very much and there is enough water in the Danube basin to keep the level at Pfelling high enough for the shallows not to cause trouble. If nature keeps this up at the current pace/weather patterns the second half of July should be good.

notamermaid

• Like 3

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The situation on the German Danube I would say is looking pleasant now. We have rain and thunderstorms that do not raise the levels very much and there is enough water in the Danube basin to keep the level at Pfelling high enough for the shallows not to cause trouble. If nature keeps this up at the current pace/weather patterns the second half of July should be good.

notamermaid

Excellent news. Thank you so much.

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Praying it holds for August as well.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:31 PM, Bebe W said:

Just curious - how hot is VERY HOT? Starting a Grand Circle cruise from Bucharest to Budapest in two weeks.

We've just done Bucharest to Budapest on Viking Lif (arrived today) and every day was around 38 degrees Celsius which the weather site said felt like 42 degrees.

In fact the ship's air-conditioning developed a fault as it is cooled by the river water which was too hot - it was fixed today.

As we're travelling onto Amsterdam, we hope it will get cooler.

Brian

In Austria and Germany it is a little cooler. There have been hot days of over 30 Celsius but overall it is cooler and will be cooler in the next two days. Tomorrow's maximums: Bratislava 32, Vienna 31, Passau 29.

notamermaid

On 7/13/2024 at 11:58 PM, tarheel423 said:

It’s been about 100° F (with the heat index a little more) every day. It looks like it will be cooler as we approach Germany. We’re almost to Budapest now and the forecast is for mid-90s. In Mohács yesterday for Pécs. Viking Rinda was with us and both of us could tie up to the dock so easy exits.

That's a cool day here in South Texas 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 2:23 PM, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Thank you for these periodic updates! I followed you in prep for our Rhine trip a few years back (which did end up with a swap) but like knowing what to expect this time on the Danube. (Viking Var in a week.)

15 hours ago, steamboats said:

But we don´t have any AC ;-)!

We expect up to 34°C until the weekend.

steamboats

You have a great point.  I would not live here without it so I can see how that would be difficult.  Hang in there

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMoreE said:

Thank you for these periodic updates! I followed you in prep for our Rhine trip a few years back (which did end up with a swap) but like knowing what to expect this time on the Danube. (Viking Var in a week.)

My pleasure. Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

It is indeed getting hot again in Germany. The valley are heating up. I can imagine the Isar in Munich being an even more popular place now. :classic_smile:

Along the Rhine it is hot of course as well - no air conditioning at my place either.

The river levels are looking good, although of course the river is loosing centimetres very fast in this heat. As I mentioned on Tuesday, a couple of showers and a thunderstorm (upstream from Straubing) after a couple of days of heat should keep the river doing well.

Let us have a look at Vienna again in a next post, this time not food.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Let us have a look at Vienna again in a next post, this time not food.

Not what I had planned - we will get to later - but let us do ship spotting at Vienna:

image.png.701823a6df8b5961d9ca426a6390f534.png

Quite a few river cruise ships in Vienna tonight, but I would like to draw your attention to the dot named Argo instead. That is a push boat and it has as its cargo a river cruise ship hull. Yes, another one is on the way to the Netherlands. This one is BN664 and the given name will be Ostara, the new ship for APT. A gentleman on Binnenschifferforum spotted the two: https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?118669-FGKS-Kasko-APT-Ostara-BN664

Standard practice is to push the hull to Regensburg and then let another push boat or barge take over on the rest of the Danube through the Canal and on the Main. Perhaps another enthusiast on the forum will spot them there. Or you on the river sailing now may see the push boat and hull and drop us a line - or even post a photo.

notamermaid

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tarheel423 said:

This may be the ship. We’re approaching Regensburg. 

Thank you for the photo. This is actually a different hull! And I am genuinely puzzled. There may be the push boat Paula tied to it, which is signalling indeed near Regensburg. The Argo with the Ostara is currently still in Austria. No time for further research at the moment.

notamermaid

• Like 1