Just off Prima- Not the best cruise...

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The fact that some 'experienced cruisers' have found the design of Prima not to their liking says more about those 'experienced cruisers' than it does about the professionals that designed Prima.

What an odd comment. All it says is the professionals thought the design was great and some "experienced cruisers" didn't. 

What "more" do you think it says about some "experienced cruisers"? I am curious because I am one of the experienced cruisers that does not prefer the design of Prima.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The fly in the ointment here is that, for this statement to be valid, the professional ship designers would have to have ZERO cruise experience. Would that be something that is a known fact, or are we simply throwing out wild guesses as to whether or not they have cruise experience of their own?

I mean I understand DelRio's grandkids were the inspiration for the innovative GoKarts.....

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

What an odd comment. All it says is the professionals thought the design was great and some "experienced cruisers" didn't. 

What "more" do you think it says about some "experienced cruisers"? I am curious because I am one of the experienced cruisers that does not prefer the design of Prima.

Simply this.  Design of a cruise ship is a complex engineering process best left to professionals.  Professional maritime engineers will produce a design that appeals to a broader and large number of cruisers than any group of 'experienced cruisers'.

10 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

I mean I understand DelRio's grandkids were the inspiration for the innovative GoKarts.....

While FDR may have grandkids, and while those grandkids may love gokarts, I seriously doubt that your statement is true. 

Consider: First NCL ship with gokarts was the Norwegian Bliss, which was ordered in 2014...BEFORE FDR was a part of NCLH.

That aside, I was only pointing out that it can't simply be assumed that the ship designers have no cruise experience of their own. This has nothing to do with FDR, his decendants, or gokarts.

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

While FDR may have grandkids, and while those grandkids may love gokarts, I seriously doubt that your statement is true. 

Consider: First NCL ship with gokarts was the Norwegian Bliss, which was ordered in 2014...BEFORE FDR was a part of NCLH.

That aside, I was only pointing out that it can't simply be assumed that the ship designers have no cruise experience of their own. This has nothing to do with FDR, his decendants, or gokarts.

I'm just glad we don't have a Deli de DelRio onboard, like we have O'Sheehan's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Thank you for telling me this.

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

"It's also reported..."  really doesn't prove anything.  The fact that there were gocarts on NCL ships prior to Del Rio's association with NCL says much more. 

• Haha 1

Whether Del Rio (or his grandkids) had anything to do with gocarts isn't important.

What is important is this:  

Does the presence of gocarts on cruise ship prove or disprove whether a group of "experienced cruisers" can do a better job of designing a cruise ship than professional maritime engineers?

The answer depends upon whether you think gocarts belong on cruise ships.

• Haha 2

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

"It's also reported..."  really doesn't prove anything.  The fact that there were gocarts on NCL ships prior to Del Rio's association with NCL says much more. 

Sigh....

More news, this time straight from the grandpappy's company's mouth...well fingers as it was typed. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/things-you-didnt-know-about-norwegians-race-tracks

Another from the ship's bow:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/alex-vega-the-auto-firm-norwegian-bliss-race-cars-video

And Time Magazine...is it a magazine anymore or just time.com? 

https://time.com/collection/worlds-greatest-places-2018/5366745/norwegian-bliss-cruise-ship/

I know, I know...that's still not enough since it didn't come from an orangutan's mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sigh....

More news, this time straight from the grandpappy's company's mouth...well fingers as it was typed. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/things-you-didnt-know-about-norwegians-race-tracks

Another from the ship's bow:

https://www.ncl.com/travel-blog/alex-vega-the-auto-firm-norwegian-bliss-race-cars-video

And Time Magazine...is it a magazine anymore or just time.com? 

https://time.com/collection/worlds-greatest-places-2018/5366745/norwegian-bliss-cruise-ship/

I know, I know...that's still not enough since it didn't come from an orangutan's mouth. 

That is what happens when you just re-publish what you are fed instead of investgating and verifying the facts of a story. NCL buys ads, media company publishes puff piece full of unquestioned "stories". Still doesn't explain the timeline. You'll have a hard task do debunk that.

On a related note, the DOJ in a court filing is now saying Hunter's laptop is legit and they knew it the whole time. Gotta wonder though about the 50+ experts who said it was russian disinformation. I guess you can't believe everything you read.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

That is what happens when you just re-publish what you are fed instead of investgating and verifying the facts of a story. NCL buys ads, media company publishes puff piece full of unquestioned "stories". Still doesn't explain the timeline. You'll have a hard task do debunk that.

On a related note, the DOJ in a court filing is now saying Hunter's laptop is legit and they knew it the whole time. Gotta wonder though about the 50+ experts who said it was russian disinformation. I guess you can't believe everything you read.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'll take three sources (I'll grant you one is NCL) over a nothingburger.  🍔 YUM!

Not really sure why you're talking about some random dude that ought to be in jail, but ok! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey, thanks for sharing that. I thought I had read that somewhere. Apparently doubters gonna doubt, 🤷🤷 

Edited by luv2kroooz

7 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Hey, thanks for sharing that. I thought I had read that somewhere. Apparently doubters gonna doubt, 🤷🤷 

Can you explain  how Del Rio's grandkids could influence gocarts on NCL ships before Del Rio was associated with NCL?

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Can you explain  how Del Rio's grandkids could influence gocarts on NCL ships before Del Rio was associated with NCL?

Respectfully, no. It's off topic and the majority of the good folks on here couldn't care less.

14 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Respectfully, no. It's off topic and the majority of the good folks on here couldn't care less.

Strange. You've been a participant in the previous discussions of Prima design.  You've even mention gocarts.  Now, it's off topic and uninteresting to the majority of the good folks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'll take three sources (I'll grant you one is NCL) over a nothingburger.  🍔 YUM!

Not really sure why you're talking about some random dude that ought to be in jail, but ok! 

Telling tales out of school with no push back or research isn't a "source" for anything unless you gullible. You can make up all the "sources" you want, still doesn't explain the discrepancy in the time line.

And, "not really sure why". Seriously? That says far more about your lack of understanding. Maybe you should become "really sure why" before spouting. Some random dude and his 50+ sources...LOL.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Telling tales out of school with no push back or research isn't a "source" for anything unless you gullible. You can make up all the "sources" you want, still doesn't explain the discrepancy in the time line.

And, "not really sure why". Seriously? That says far more about your lack of understanding. Maybe you should become "really sure why" before spouting. Some random dude and his 50+ sources...LOL.

Do not give a damn who thought up or inspired go-carts on ships.  Point is I will not be sailing on said ships.

Edited by mugtech
Spelling

children say and think the darnedest things.

(so do posters on cruise critic.)

hey, did you know that mork (from ork) was suggested as a character on "happy days" by creator garry marshall's son?

it's true.

i can't say for sure whether FDR's grandkids suggested go karts. i wasn't in the room where it happened. i don't know if it's a cute story hatched by an overzealous PR agent. but it is certainly possible that his grandkids suggested them... just as garry marshall's son is largely responsible for launching robin williams' career. 

here's why...

the timeline that some dismiss as disqualifying is precisely the thing that demonstrates why it's likely that the story is true.  FDR is a cruise industry veteran and founded oceania in 2002. NCLH acquired prestige cruises (parent of oceania and regent) in 2014 (the year we've been told the bliss was ordered) and FDR became the head of NCLH in 2015. so FDR was indeed a part of NCLH in 2014. he didn't run the company until the next year, but he was onboard, so to speak, in 2014.

also, if you've ever been around corporate boardrooms, you'd know that the work and the conversations don't begin when a company is acquired nor do they begin the day you become the head of the company. those conversations begin long before. and, in many cases, those conversations are the reason you get hired to head the company.  it's inconceivable to me that FDR didn't influence the design and direction of the bliss as it was being conceived and built. for all we know, he may have been given the top spot because of his brilliant go kart idea!

the inconvenient truth is that the timelines mesh perfectly. 

• Thanks 2

I can solve the Food Hall crowding.  I first need to mute my mic so NCL does not hear this. What about installing a $5.95 cover charge. I know I know don't throw your food at me yet.  Remember when Margaritaville opened on the Breakaway?  It was a "free" or included venue.  It was mobbed and many were turned away because there was no seating to accommodate the crowds.  Then NCL installed a small cover charge.  It worked but still was too crowded. Once NCL made all items ala carte made the crowds disappear.  Remember when the Race Track opened on the Bliss and the lines and reservations made it impossible to get everyone on the Go Karts?  NCL doubled the price and it seemed to reduce some of the demand.

Let me be clear. I DO NOT condone these cover charges for so many venues.  However a bitter pill is the reality its impossible or not wise to try every venue on board unless they are not in huge demand.  

***ok you are now free to pelt me with all the food you can grab from the buffet.  May I suggest you start with the desserts.****

38 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I can solve the Food Hall crowding.  I first need to mute my mic so NCL does not hear this. What about installing a $5.95 cover charge.

I think they originally planned to charge. There are card readers in the iPads.

So, great, that solves the Indulge overcrowding problem. Where would everyone that wants quick service option but doesn't want to pay for food go? Existing quick service buffet woefully inadequate to handle current demand and Indulge is free. Can you imagine the pinch created by driving more people up there at peak times.

Plus, we've been told "contemporary" cruisers don't want old fashioned buffets, or at least that''s what I read on here somewhere.

1 slice of pie coming your way. 😀😀

Edited by luv2kroooz

Am I the only one in here that likes the Go Carts?  I've raced them on the Bliss and looking forward to racing them again on the Prima.

Anxious to see what all the hubbub is about regarding Indulge.  Will be sailing Prima in a couple of weeks.  Will report back.  From what I've read, it's a good food venue/option.  I've NEVER been a fan of the Buffet on ANY cruise ship or line.  So, Indulge would be welcomed by me.

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Am I the only one in here that likes the Go Carts?  I've raced them on the Bliss and looking forward to racing them again on the Prima.

Anxious to see what all the hubbub is about regarding Indulge.  Will be sailing Prima in a couple of weeks.  Will report back.  From what I've read, it's a good food venue/option.  I've NEVER been a fan of the Buffet on ANY cruise ship or line.  So, Indulge would be welcomed by me.

No. "Contemporary" cruisers enjoy go karts, too. Keep calm, and Race On!!

"Contemporary" cruisers don't like old fashioned buffets, either.

Enjoy Indulge. I have heard it is amazing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It's simple.  If one does not want to do the carts, then the carts were a stupid idea.  After all, that space could have been better utilized for a larger pool.  Of course, if one doesn't want a pool, then the pool deck could have been used for a large cart track. It's all a matter of personal preferences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

No. "Contemporary" cruisers enjoy go karts, too. Keep calm, and Race On!!

"Contemporary" cruisers don't like old fashioned buffets, either.

Enjoy Indulge. I have heard it is amazing.

Ummmm...I am calm.  I don't know if I'm "contemporary".  My birth certificate says maybe not.  But, I have a good time on the Go-Carts.

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's simple.  If one does not want to do the carts, then the carts were a stupid idea.  After all, that space could have been better utilized for a larger pool.  Of course, if one doesn't want a pool, then the pool deck could have been used for a large cart track. It's all a matter of personal preferences.

Yeah...I think the days of large pools have been and are a thing of the past.  I do think there are cruise lines that will continue to embrace the "belly flop" contests and the "sexiest legs" comparisons.  I don't see NCL moving more into that direction, though.  That means, pools will continue to be secondary on NCL.

• Like 1