Viking Rhine Veranda Stateroom A Questions

summerclouds

DH and I are booking the Rhine Getaway cruise (Basel to Amsterdam) 

In looking at the Veranda Staterooms, we see that they are categorized as A (Upper Deck rooms) and B (Middle Deck rooms)   We have 2 questions about the A staterooms:

1.  Do the A (Upper Deck rooms) get noise from the Sun deck and other things on the top deck above the A rooms?

2.  What benefits do people see in being one floor higher than the B Verandah staterooms?

We have read the pros/cons of having a Verandah vs French Balcony vs the Standard rooms (all very helpful in us learning what to expect) and have decided that for us the Verandah is our choice, just not sure about the A vs B.

Thanks for helping first time river cruisers.

57 minutes ago, summerclouds said:

DH and I are booking the Rhine Getaway cruise (Basel to Amsterdam) 

In looking at the Veranda Staterooms, we see that they are categorized as A (Upper Deck rooms) and B (Middle Deck rooms)   We have 2 questions about the A staterooms:

1.  Do the A (Upper Deck rooms) get noise from the Sun deck and other things on the top deck above the A rooms?

2.  What benefits do people see in being one floor higher than the B Verandah staterooms?

We have read the pros/cons of having a Verandah vs French Balcony vs the Standard rooms (all very helpful in us learning what to expect) and have decided that for us the Verandah is our choice, just not sure about the A vs B.

Thanks for helping first time river cruisers.

1) - Yes, they can.  We actually were told very sternly on the first night port talk and briefing that the track on the sundeck is a WALKING track and NOT a jogging track.  The emphasis was explained because those on deck three would assume a herd of elephants overhead.

I would say that no one jogged when we were on the ship, but we did hear heavy footed walkers...

2) - To us there is no difference other than you are on lounge level when in an A and dining level when in a B.  I would not typically pay the increased cost for deck 3 on a Viking River cruise, but the last one we were on in December we only booked 2 weeks before departure and that was all that was available in cabins.

Veranda vs. French Balcony.   We personally book the French Balcony because other than getting fresh air, we don't ever sit on the balcony/verandah.  On a river ship, you risk in port being docked beside another ship and then not being able to see anything anyway.

On our recent Rhine Amsterdam to Basel, we only sailed overnight and then we were docked during the day.  Often we were docked beside another ship and had no view anyway.  We were often docked two or three ships deep.  The balcony/verandah was a waste for us.

It also can depend on the time of year you are sailing whether cold or warm.

But for us, we pass on the verandah and go for French Balcony.

Just a time for a little rant by me!  For some reason, both river and ocean cruise ships charge more for being up higher.  When you are on a giant ship, is it really better, or even different, to be on the 10th floor instead of the 8th floor?  I think they are the same.  I have also been on all levels of a river cruise.  Once you are out of submarine class, the rooms and the experience are the same to me.  I assume that "higher is better" is from the good old days when there were just a couple of higher floors and then you were in steerage.  And now they charge more for higher and people pay for that.  FWIW, our last river cruise we were on the top floor (long story--did not pay extra for it) and never heard any noise.

We’ve been on a few Viking river cruises and have experienced A & B veranda cabins and also a French balcony. Other than sleeping and changing attire, we spend very little time in the cabin. Also as CDNPolar said, about 50% of the time when docked, we were tied up to another ship. Since the ship sails mostly during the overnight hours there isn’t much to see. On the cruises that have a few days sailing during daytime hours, it makes no difference what deck you are on, the views are the same. For us, it just isn’t worth the extra dollars. 

12 hours ago, JordanF said:

Just a time for a little rant by me!  For some reason, both river and ocean cruise ships charge more for being up higher.  

We see no value in being on a higher deck.  However, we don't book the Submarine/Aquarium class cabins on river cruises now.  We have in the past but since the onset of Covid, I decided that I never wanted to be stuck in a cabin without an opening window.  Not a balcony necessarily but a window for fresh air and to reduce claustrophobia in the case of being confined to a cabin.

10 hours ago, mlamb1234 said:

We’ve been on a few Viking river cruises and have experienced A & B veranda cabins and also a French balcony. Other than sleeping and changing attire, we spend very little time in the cabin. Also as CDNPolar said, about 50% of the time when docked, we were tied up to another ship. Since the ship sails mostly during the overnight hours there isn’t much to see. On the cruises that have a few days sailing during daytime hours, it makes no difference what deck you are on, the views are the same. For us, it just isn’t worth the extra dollars. 

Agree totally.  We are in the cabin to sleep, shower, and change.

And again special note to the OP about sailing overnight and not having a view during the day other than someone else's balcony.

This is going to get me some angry comments, but I will say it anyway.  For some - not all - there is a status to being on the higher deck.  On a recent Viking River Cruise, I heard people actually asking others if they were "odd or even" on deck three.  The only thing this question would accomplish is knowing if you were in a suite verandah or a regular veranda.  The odd numbers were regular verandah and the even numbers were the suites.

• Like 1

Ohhhhh didn’t realise there was a hierarchy on Viking or actually on any river cruise vessel. My best memory of anything like that was on Scenic when a quite large group were chatting one evening when it turned out one couple a lower deck Aquarium/Swan/Submarine cabin their first cruise so all of us never having seen one trooped down for a sneaky peak. Where we had a small party keeping their lovely Butler very busy. I still would not book one of these cabins but don’t mind either other decks.

Noise from the upper sun deck is a possibility but also on the second deck from the top deck passengers cabins, swings and roundabouts.

16 hours ago, summerclouds said:

I have been on 12 Viking cruises and I have had cabins on all 3 decks. I have read here on this forum about people staying on the upper deck getting noise from the walking track on the sundeck but I have never experienced it myself.

I see no benefit on one deck above another. The middle deck is on the same level as the restaurant and entrance/exit to boat so those on the middle deck don't have to use stairs to exit the boat when going  on daily excursions or to eat in main restaurant.

The upper deck is the same level as the lounge and open bow area where you'll want to to go to see both banks during the Middle Rhine, also the hot drink machines are on that level. Also, the Aquavit lounge which has some tables you can have a buffet breakfast or restaurant meals at lunch & dinner.

As there's not much difference in pricing, I'd suggest the direction of travel* and the time of year** is a more important consideration, chose those and then if there's only A or B available pick it.

* I have been  Basel>Amsterdam twice. I think the opposite way is preferable for scenery

** Pick summer time otherwise it'll be too cold to enjoy sitting on your veranda

I do think that the A category gets noise from the walking track.  Viking does not allow anyone to walk up there before 7 or 8 AM (I've forgotten which) as I know that I was stopped when going up to walk in the early morning.  We've always booked B but we used the balcony often.

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Ohhhhh didn’t realise there was a hierarchy on Viking or actually on any river cruise vessel.

It wasn't a Viking hierarchy, just some people talking.

But I am surprised you don't think there's a hierarchy on any river cruise vessel. Your own favourite Scenic has  restaurants La Rive and Table d'Or 'Exclusive for Royal and Junior suite guests on cruises of 7 nights or less, and for all Diamond deck guests on cruises of 10 nights or longer'. 

pontac I I know you disliked your Scenic cruise and if you’d had the longer trip maybe you would have got to enjoy the one restaurant - two names for the same restaurant, in different countries. It has ten course tasting menus with paired wines. Yes it is for Diamond deck and Junior suite guests only on a ten or more day cruise. A menu like this is not for everyone but I’ve been lucky enough to indulge in it. All the other eating areas are open to all. 

17 hours ago, caradara said:

I do think that the A category gets noise from the walking track.  Viking does not allow anyone to walk up there before 7 or 8 AM (I've forgotten which) as I know that I was stopped when going up to walk in the early morning.  We've always booked B but we used the balcony often.

We go up on the sundeck often in the early morning hours as early as 5am and we have never been stopped from going up there.  We don't necessarily walk the track, as we are up there to take videos and pictures, but we walk the ship from bow to stern and no one has ever suggested that we cannot be up there.  

28 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We go up on the sundeck often in the early morning hours

Same here, never denied access but no walkers early in the morning.  They made the announcement early in the cruise as well.  Despite that, early walking was happening above us and on the second morning I got up and notified the front desk.  He immediately went up top and shut it down.

We’ve had the same just the once on Scenic and it seems to be a pet hate of the staff. I must admit to being up really early, only once before 6am once to try for that not to be missed picture of the confluence of the Moselle only for our Captain to apologise as he’d had the message to leave the Moselle due to rising water levels. Normally you cannot hear but it’s the repetitiveness that causes the problem.

I love being uptop at night or early morning, watching the world glide by.

I'm not walking laps, just enjoying a hot drink (pics are from a winter cruise).

PXL_20231227_061217853.thumb.jpg.82a8a8e54efc069f68da85c720361508.jpg

PXL_20231226_205530707.thumb.jpg.b0788a62780cc5d0e15eec9cc12be20a.jpg

Edited by ural guy
delete pic
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Walking the track vs jogging the track I'm sure produces very different noise levels.

It does.

We did not hear joggers, we heard people walking.  You could tell by the pace and the noise level.  There are some very heavy footed walkers.

It was almost like there was give in the deck right above one spot in our cabin because this was the only place that we heard the footstep, and it repeated every 2-3 minutes in the same spot as the person completed the round.

Would this have awakened us?  Not sure.  I am up by 5am anyway and it was usually around 6am that I was hearing this.

Edited by CDNPolar

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

It does.

We did not hear joggers, we heard people walking.  You could tell by the pace and the noise level.  There are some very heavy footed walkers.

It was almost like there was give in the deck right above one spot in our cabin because this was the only place that we heard the footstep, and it repeated every 2-3 minutes in the same spot as the person completed the round.

Would this have awakened us?  Not sure.  I am up by 5am anyway and it was usually around 6am that I was hearing this.

Now that is interesting---I would have thought the opposite.  When running, one's body comes completely off the ground, then lands.  In walking one leg is on the ground at all times.

Just now, sharkster77 said:

Now that is interesting---I would have thought the opposite.  When running, one's body comes completely off the ground, then lands.  In walking one leg is on the ground at all times.

Even in indoor areas, you can tell the difference between those that are heavy footed and those that are not.  Some people just walk with more force in each step and any kind of limp will cause a sound just walking too.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:54 PM, Canal archive said:

pontac I I know you disliked your Scenic cruise

Then you didn't read my trip report. I did enjoy the trip; but I disliked the hyperbole of Scenic on the trip I was on. I am going to phone Scenic tomorrow about their latest offer of business class flights and a 35% discount.

Yes it is for Diamond deck and Junior suite guests only on a ten or more day cruise

Is this not an example of a hierarchy that you said is not be found on a river cruise?

All the other eating areas are open to all

Only the main restaurant is open to all, the other one only to those with an  invitation, with at least one invitation promised to those on the middle and lower decks. We had one invite

This will be my last on this but you haven’t read all on CC about Scenic if you want to go to Portabellos more than once there are ways to do it. When I mentioned hierarchy I most probably used the wrong expression maybe perceived status is more appropriate especially where the upper and lower decks are concerned on Viking.

How postings read is often different than how the poster meant them to read.  @pontac you definitely come across as not having enjoyed Scenic.  I hope you are able to book this second cruise and that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my two Scenic cruises.  Hopefully the fact that Diamond deck passengers get two special dinners while those on Sapphire and Jewel only get one won't ruin your trip.  Remember than one is still a lot more than none, as on many other river lines!

14 hours ago, summerclouds said:

Thanks to everyone for their sharing of experiences. Very helpful.   We have decided to go with the B Level Veranda Stateroom.  Looking forward to our first river cruise!

I think that you will be just as happy in a B Veranda.  There is absolutely no difference to view - when there is one - and no difference to the size or layout of the cabin.

You also don't have to do any stairs when you are going for breakfast or meals in general.

Please do report back as to your experience!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 5:51 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

@pontac you definitely come across as not having enjoyed Scenic.  

Canalarchive said that she didn't "realise there was a hierarchy on any river cruise vessel" and I pointed out that Scenic had a restaurant that was restricted to those on the top deck. 

On 1/20/2024 at 5:51 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I hope you are able to book this second cruise and that you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my two Scenic cruises

I have booked a 15 day 'Romantic Rhine & Moselle' cruise with Scenic departing 5 August 2024. Thanks for your good wishes, but whether I'll enjoy as much as you do remains to be seen, since you stay in one of the large suites on the top deck, and I'm not. Not complaining, my choice. 🙂

15 hours ago, pontac said:

Canalarchive said that she didn't "realise there was a hierarchy on any river cruise vessel" and I pointed out that Scenic had a restaurant that was restricted to those on the top deck. 

I have booked a 15 day 'Romantic Rhine & Moselle' cruise with Scenic departing 5 August 2024. Thanks for your good wishes, but whether I'll enjoy as much as you do remains to be seen, since you stay in one of the large suites on the top deck, and I'm not. Not complaining, my choice. 🙂

None of our new friends/tablemates were in suites, and it turned out they were not even all on the top deck – but we all had a great time together and they never mentioned feeling on the short end of the 'hierarchy.'  That one dinner makes up about 1% of the overall cruise experience.