Advice on best ports to know which to arrive/depart from?

Based on things to do/see/great ports vs mediocre Id like to decide between 2 itins and which ports to use as my embark/disembark ports vs visit (of course I know I can add a day or 2 pre or post cruise, but I dont think that will be an option for us..any advice is appreciated!  Seems like soo many Norway options I wouldnt know where to start 😕

Kiel Germany

Warnemunde Germany

Stockholm Sweden

Copenhagen Denmark

Skagen Denmark

Bergen Norway

Hellesylt Norway

Geiranger Norway

Stavanger Norway

Flam Norway

Alesund Norway

Kristiansand Norway

Warnemund is nearly 3 hours by train to Berlin, so that's a bit more challenging dealing with luggage if you have other options.  Personally there was a lot for me to see in Stockholm, so I'd chose that as an embarkation/disembarkation port if I had a lot of choices, but I think you'll find more cruises departing from Copenhagen if you are trying to see Norway.  I'd go more for overall itinerary.   

Edited by kitkat343

You hardly have the opportunity to start your cruise in all these ports, do you?

Possibilities are slightly different in relation to your starting point for flights. It is highly advisable to fly in at least a day before the cruise in case of flight delays and cancellations.

Kiel, Warnemunde Germany can be a challenge. Airport is either Berlin or Frankfurt. Long transfer.

Stockholm Sweden, Copenhagen Denmark - easy  access from airport - direct flights from major airports.
Bergen Norway - few direct flight options - depends where you’re coming from.

Not possible to start a cruise in Skagen Denmark, Hellesylt Norway, Geiranger Norway, Stavanger Norway, Flam Norway, Alesund Norway, Kristiansand Norway

44 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

Any ports that stick out in regards to zipline adventure type thing, or seeing whales?

There is a zipline near Flåm. See norwaysbest.com for information. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Are any of these Norway ports just sail thru/fjords?

All mentioned are port stops - Hellesylt might be a ‘technical’ stop before Geiranger, but difficult to know when just a list of ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LesleyWootten said:

Sorry to jump onboard this posters thread....but what about Oslo as an Embarkation port?

Oslo is very similar to Stockholm and Copenhagen - easy access from airport and good hotels in central Oslo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LesleyWootten said:

orry to jump onboard this posters thread....but what about Oslo as a Embarkation port?

And Oslo offers lots of sightseeing options, enough for at least 3 or 4 days IMHO.  You could read online about Oslo and in  guidebooks, or YouTube or Tripadvisor. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 2:46 PM, LesleyWootten said:

Sorry to jump onboard this posters thread....but what about Oslo as a Embarkation port? Is it ideal or just Meh?

Thank you in advance,

LESLEY

Depends on your priorities. I think Oslo is a great embarkation port, especially for the Baltics, because the port is tight downtown and there is plenty to do for a few days before or after.

If you have limited time and a fjord focus, I’d choose an embarkation port that only has one sailing day to the west coast. These are typically Southampton, Rotterdam, or Copenhagen. Sometimes you’ll find Oslo, but often those itineraries include an extra port stop somewhere en route like Århus (okay) or Kristiansand (meh).

Edited by kaisatsu