Norway/Iceland Itineraries

Fischmom

We are considering a cruise for our anniversary in 2025. One itinerary we are interested in is Norway, Finland, or Iceland but we know nothing about the ports to look for. It is my understanding that smaller ships can reach more places but I don’t know what specific ports to look for. I would appreciate any help/suggestions. We are more interested in the ports than the ship. Thanks!

go to the ncl website. it shows dates, ships, departure ports, etc, click on the embarkation  ports you are interested in, and, choose the ship and cabin you want, and it will give you a brief synopsis of those specific ports. if you book the cruise, you will also get a screen with all  the available options on that cruise. click explore and it will show you the shore excursions available at each port

we were on a b2b last july-aug, 10 days and 9 days. the 9 day part went to the baltic states.

this year, ncl has departures from reykjavik, oslo, tromsa, southamption, all covering places you wish to see. 

Thank you for the response. We are platinum so I know how the NCL website works. We know that we love St Thomas so when cruising the Caribbean I seek out itineraries that include it. I know in Alaska to look for Glacier Bay. This is more what I am asking. Which ports do people not want to miss. 

@Fischmom My suggestion is you spend some time over in the "Northern Europe & Baltic Sea" ports of call forum.  Much of the information you are seeking is there.  

For Norway, this thread in particular has great information (there are 20 pages of replies, but, I'm telling you there is some excellent, excellent information if Norway is of interest).   Unfortunately, NCL doesn't have good Norway itineraries.  We're doing it this summer and likely going to end up on Princess or RCCL.

Edited by PATRLR

We have cruised in Norway and also Iceland.   IMO Norway is a perfect cruise destination.  The Fjords from the ship are spectacular, and you spend most of your excursion time in coastal cities or not far from the coast.   Iceland is a lot different than Norway.   Many of the geological sites in Iceland are inland and you spend a lot of time driving inland.  Many people recommend a land vacation in Iceland rather than a cruise.   Iceland is very unique and very interesting but not as beautiful as Norway and not as good of a cruise destination...

Both are great trips however, have fun.... 

Edited by CCJack

4 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Geiranger and Alesund was my favorite.

on my sailing this past summer, my favorite port was Geiranger. I would take Norway over Iceland, but both are beautiful. Only got to do Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Same with us.  I can't wait to go back to Norway.  
The Golden Circle small group tour in Reykjavik was great.

4 hours ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Geiranger and Alesund was my favorite.

on my sailing this past summer, my favorite port was Geiranger. I would take Norway over Iceland, but both are beautiful. Only got to do Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Agree with Geiranger and Alesund. We also enjoyed Bergen.

And wouldn't it have been nice to actually port in Isafjordur? 😒 We actually had what we thought would be a fine private tour booked there well before it became evident that the Prima was not going to go to that port any time in 2023.

I did 23 days last summer through Iceland and Norway with NCL. Ports were amazing! So amazing that I’m heading back again this summer and next summer. 
The shore excursions can be extremely expensive but if you enjoy exploring small towns the ports of call will all be enjoyable.

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I did 23 days last summer through Iceland and Norway with NCL. Ports were amazing! So amazing that I’m heading back again this summer and next summer. 

@YVRteacher I seem to be following you around.  I was in Alaska last year just after you and I'll be on the Star to Greenland & Iceland this August.  🙂

• Like 1

Last year we did Reykjavik to Tromsø to Reykjavik.   First part via Svalbard and the second via Faroes.   So a number of different Norwegian ports BUT some Icelandic ones were repeated.

A warning ship tours on these itineraries were expensive as is Iceland if you have days there before and/or after.

We would recommend those B2B.

• Like 1