Reykjavik hotel pre-cruise with a 6:00 am flight arrival

JMMM2323

I've started doing a bit of research, but am struggling with this.  We land at KEF at 6am.  We are planning on spending the day in Reykjavik exploring on foot.  Looking for suggestions of a hotel or airbnb somewhere in town that will let us at least drop our luggage super early, and even better, allow us a super early check in (obviously with a fee), so we can get a couple hours of sleep before exploring.  Any suggestions??

Every hotel that I have ever arrived at early (even super early) will hold your luggage for you until check-in.  I've never been to Iceland, but I'd be shocked if that were not the case there too.  You could certainly contact them and confirm this.

Airbnb's will not typically offer this, although you can ask what they might be able to do for you.  You could always book it for the previous day in addition to your arrival day.

Whether a hotel will let you check in that early is almost always dependent on whether they have an available room to give you.  If they are full with guests, they will need to clean rooms after those guests check out before they could give it to you.  Some hotels will let you check in early for free (if they have a room) and some will charge an added fee.  You could ask the hotel what their policy is in advance.  They probably won't be able to guarantee you an early check-in unless you pay for the previous night as well.

Also, I would suggest you try to skip the nap and just power on with your day.  Get out in the fresh air.  I have found the secret to jet lag is to do this so that your body starts acclimating to the local time as soon as possible.  Try to make it until early evening at least before heading to bed.  But, if you are lucky enough to get a room, a quick shower before going back out to see the sights that morning will help you stay awake longer.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

As I get old, I don't function for long without a nap that first day.  Because the flight is short to Iceland, you won't get much sleep on the plane.

When possible, I try to get the hotel for the night before, and let them know I'm coming in early the next morning.  I chalk it up to travel expense and it lets me dump luggage, shower, then power nap before heading out for the afternoon.

• Like 1

I agree with the above.  We have dropped our luggage off super early in Reykjavik or Grindavik many times.  We then did a self guided walking tour of Reykjavik, and maybe napped in a hotel lobby or similar.

But a better plan is to book the night before in the hotel and let them know you won't be arriving until early the next morning.

• 1 month later...

We are arriving early morning (hours before check in) and have decided to rent a car for the day. We have also spoken with out hotel who have said we can drop our bags and they will store them for us. We figured with the car, we can have some flexibility to go see and do what we want - or even nap if needed 🙂