Laminated birth certificate?

auntiegoose04

I am going on a cruise in April to the Eastern Caribbean on the NCL Dawn. When I went to get my, my husbands, and my daughters birth certificates I got laminated card like ones, a bit larger than a drivers license. They do have raised seals on them, but yesterday someone told me that they are not acceptable if you are traveling out of the country. Does anyone know if there is truth to that? I don't want to have to pay for 3 new paper ones then come to find I could have used the others. Thanks alot :)

I worked as a TA for years and NO those will not be acceptable for travel. Only once had someone try to use what we said they could not and the airline wouldnt let them on the flight. Man came back mad at us, yet we had said no you can not use it. Lesson learned the hard way for one traveler. You should call the cruise line and ask them if they will let you use that. I know they sometimes do have different rules on things then an airline would. I do know the airline would not if you are flying out of the USA.

No, the laminated b/c is not acceptable for either cruise or air travel. Sorry. Looks like you'll have to get new certified state-issued b/cs for your family.

You mentioned raised seal - not a requirement. Many states are now issuing b/c with no seal - they are printed on the state watermark paper.

of course they are acceptable. With new technologys many of the states are issuing birth certificates in other than the old standard forms. Some states are issuing similiar to what you are saying, others have holograms and some are digital. The old thing about a raised seal no longer holds true.

i also thought raised seal was required ....... {glad i have my passport now w/all the contradictions] where would we all find the difinative answer to this? i'll get the goverments web site to see if i can find out...........

Birth Certificates being used for travel must be an original offical copy, some may or maynot have a raised seal as that is state driven, rather it be watermark, raised seal, hologram, etc. It must be an original offical birth certificate. Laminated is not an original offical birth certificate.

Hopes this helps.

You can check the State Government Travel at:

<LI class=first>www.travel.state.gov

Birth Certificates being used for travel must be an original offical copy, some may or maynot have a raised seal as that is state driven, rather it be watermark, raised seal, hologram, etc. It must be an original offical birth certificate. Laminated is not an original offical birth certificate.
If that's what was sent by the state's Bureau of Vital Statistics, then it would have to be an original official copy, especially since the op siad that it has a raised seal.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Laminated documents are not accepted for travel purpose. As the lamination takes away ther ability to determine authentication. You can also find this information at US Custom Entry requirements. If someone has been able to use a laminated BC for travel they were lucky. You cannot use a laminated copy for passport or visa application either.

Documentation For Reentry

To gain reentry into the U.S. it is important to have an acceptable form of photo identification and proof of citizenship. A passport fulfills both of these and is the most recommended form of ID to have due to heightened security at our borders.

If you do not have a passport, be sure to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or baptismal record AND a photo ID. Acceptable forms of photo ID are: military ID, driver's license or state ID card. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, a U.S. state or federal government issued birth record or a Certificate of Citizenship (not an affidavit of citizenship) or Certificate of Naturalization are acceptable along with acceptable photo ID.

Laminated birth certificates and voter registration cards are not acceptable.

Who laminated it???? What if the state laminated it at the time of issuance and that is the only thing they issue.
In this case, the state issued the laminated wallet-sized card, BUT its not the only size or way that they issue BC's. As said before, the laminated versions of state-issued BC's are NOT acceptable as travel documents.

• 2 months later...

The only birth certificate I have is the laminated card that I received from the State of Washington. It is a laminated card the size of a driver's license and has the raised seal. This was several years ago but I had no problem with obtaining my passport with it. And before that it always was accepted as proof of citizenship. Not sure what they are issuing these days but I've had this one for more years than I care to count (lol).

For me, if it's issued in the City Hall where I was born, it's a small laminated copy.

A "full size" BC is available at the state level, but you have to go the the capitol, Dept of Vital Statistics for that. I've only traveled with the full sized copy as my TA advised us against the laminated copy.

We now have Passports, as everyone will have to by year end and then the whole point will be moot. :)

kitty

Ok, I am confused, because we had a choice (Texas) for either one and I have never had a problem with it, it is state issued and has their stamp on it. Of course when we cruise next we have to have passports so it won't be a problem anyways, just wondering!

Kim

• 7 years later...
In March, we used a laminated BC for my daughter on NCL Dawn..no questions asked. It was issued by the state laminated. It also had a raised seal. I am planning on using it again this March on the NCL Epic!

This thread was from 2006, so things could have changed.