Civitavecchia Disembarkation Time

Disembarkation will start at around the time stated on your itinerary (the ship will very likely arrive some time before that). If you have latitudes status (Gold+) or are in a suite then you will be able to disembark almost straight away and also if you are willing to carry your own bags off then. NCL transfers for early flights will go next.

Otherwise it will probably be about an hour later that they start to call groups to disembark.

what time does your flight  leave. remember on international flights, the airline recommends getting there 2-3 hrs before takeoff. it's also at least an hr + from the port to rome with little to no traffic. so at the best case, if you're off the ship at 7:15, you may even be cutting it close if your plane leaves just after noon any later  then that, you're good to go.

whenever we've ended at civi, we usually spend at least a day in rome. hey, it's the eternal city, around every corner there's something beautiful and historic, and there is nothing (imho) like sitting at a roman outdoor cafe, with cloudless blue skies, sipping a latte, and munching on a biscotti. or better yet, a pizza and a cold beer.

spend the extra day or 2 in rome  if you can, you won't regret it, and you certainly won't be sorry

• Like 2

We have found Civi to be an efficient and quick debarkation.   One reason is many of the big ship lines book overlapping med cruises.   As an example, you can book Escape for 9 day cruise out of Rome on July 18, then they have a 9 day cruise out of Barcelona 5 days later on July 23.   In other words, when you disembark in Civi, not everyone is ending their cruise and getting off with luggage like you are.   My unofficial guess from our cruises is that more people book the Barcelona roundtrip rather  than the Rome roundtrip, so maybe 40% of the ship will be disembarking with you in Civi.   

As others have said, allow for traffic and travel time to airport.   

We have always heard allow three hours at the airport in Rome. Our flight leaves at 11:50 (unless they decide to move it up...which they have been known to do.) Allowing for an hour ride to the airport, we think we'll be okay...especially since it seems many of the passengers will be embarking/disembarking in Barcelona. Of course, stuff happens...

Edited by schmoopie17

37 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We have always heard allow three hours at the airport in Rome. Our flight leaves at 11:50 (unless they decide to move it up...which they have been known to do.) Allowing for an hour ride to the airport, we think we'll be okay...especially since it seems many of the passengers will be embarking/disembarking in Barcelona. Of course, stuff happens...

Assuming you actually can get off the ship by 7:30 or so, that gives you about 1-1/2 hours to be at Fiumicino airport by 9:00, which is about as late as you should plan to arrive for an 11:50 departure.

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

you are really cutting it close.

Agreed.  Stuff happens.  We have encountered a highway accident which held up traffic for almost an hour, a transit strike which resulted in the few available taxis being overwhelmed by the additional passengers who had planned to take a bus or train, a prearranged car service never showing up at the port which forced us to find a taxi at the last minute, and a bomb scare at the airport which meant our bus dropped us off about a half mile from the terminal, leaving us to walk with our luggage the rest of the way after the police gave us the "all clear".  Lots of stuff can happen.  I would much prefer to sit in an airport departure lounge for a couple of extra hours than be even one minute late getting to the departure gate. YMMV.

Well...kind of hard to change the air reservations now. We'll have to knock on wood, carry a rabbit's foot, wish upon a star and cross our fingers...all at the same time.

Having said that, I have read in the Rome forum of people having 10:30 flights and getting to the gate with a lot of time to spare. I guess we'll see and as always...OMMV.

22 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Well...kind of hard to change the air reservations now. We'll have to knock on wood, carry a rabbit's foot, wish upon a star and cross our fingers...all at the same time.

Having said that, I have read in the Rome forum of people having 10:30 flights and getting to the gate with a lot of time to spare. I guess we'll see and as always...OMMV.

We flew out of Rome last September and got there just under three hours before our flight. Check in and security were very quick and we had about two hours waiting.

I know that there can be delays at airports, but I’ve always found Rome to be OK.

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

We flew out of Rome last September and got there just under three hours before our flight. Check in and security were very quick and we had about two hours waiting.

I know that there can be delays at airports, but I’ve always found Rome to be OK.

Did you hear the big sigh of relief I just uttered? Thanks for that...

Probably too close for my comfort as well, but my guess is 95% chance you will make it.   

One thing to keep in mind is if your airline changes your flight even by 10 minutes, get on the phone and maybe negotiate another flight.  They may even agree to put you on another airline.   Our 1 pm flight from Athens to Detroit next September got moved to 11 am on our day of debarkation.   That won't work.   AA said they would consider moving me to another airline, but not 9 months out.  Only as the travel gets closer, as they could have additional changes between now and then.  For now, I changed to the 11 am flight on the next day as another night in Athens isn't necessarily a bad option. 

Good luck.

Edited by CCJack
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I’ve just gone back to look at your times. You have plenty of time, and then a bit to spare.

If you re due in at 6.30am and you are carrying your bags off then you should easily be off the ship by 7.15. That is loads of time to get to FCO for a 11.50 flight.

Most likely when you get to the airport you will be waiting for check in to open.

As a comparison we have flights at 12.55 and we have arranged our transfer for 9am. We had similar timings last year when we ended up waiting for ages.

Just make sure that you have a transfer booked, and that it is picking you up from the ship. If you are using the shuttle buses, or queueing for a taxi then things could go wrong, but a booked transfer will give you loads of time.

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Also, if you don't have priority with the airline to expedite your time in lines, there's a fast track available at FCO for 7 or 8 euros each.  

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

11 hours ago, Girr said:

Also, if you don't have priority with the airline to expedite your time in lines, there's a fast track available at FCO for 7 or 8 euros each.  

Yep...planning on getting, just in case.

15 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just make sure that you have a transfer booked, and that it is picking you up from the ship. If you are using the shuttle buses, or queueing for a taxi then things could go wrong, but a booked transfer will give you loads of time.

We have Rome Cabs booked for both pick-up from the airport to the hotel and transport from the ship to the airport. We used them last time and they were great.

26 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We have Rome Cabs booked for both pick-up from the airport to the hotel and transport from the ship to the airport. We used them last time and they were great.

You are sorted then. It would take a major issue for there to be any risk of you not getting an 11.50 flight.

• Like 1