Questions about key...just the facts Jack.

Not to be rude but I don't care for opinions on whether or not you feel it's worth it. Just need facts about: 

What time do they allow KEY holders to get on the ship?

We'll be staying near the cruise port the night before.

What time does The KEY lunch start?

We will be on FOS in August.

I already purchased it and feel with me having had my leg put back together from hip to foot 3 yrs ago it will be worth it for us. Hubby has had his knee replaced but needs more work (over 30 years of tower working lol). So for us in our later 50's and having had some "work done" it'll be nice just for easy on easy off and the nice relaxed lunch to start.

Thank you for any help. 

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Not to be rude but I don't care for opinions on whether or not you feel it's worth it. Just need facts about: 

What time do they allow KEY holders to get on the ship?

We'll be staying near the cruise port the night before.

What time does The KEY lunch start?

We will be on FOS in August.

I already purchased it and feel with me having had my leg put back together from hip to foot 3 yrs ago it will be worth it for us. Hubby has had his knee replaced but needs more work (over 30 years of tower working lol). So for us in our later 50's and having had some "work done" it'll be nice just for easy on easy off and the nice relaxed lunch to start.

Thank you for any help. 

Will change from sailing to sailing!

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Thank you for any help. 

An alternate choice:  Email special_needs@rccl.com or call 866-592-7225 and let them know you have special needs /need help with embarkation.  They will be able to do more than offer you an earlier time (though it won't help you with lunch).  

Do you know what time regular embarkation will begin for your cruise?  I think "early" embarkation help with the Key will only be "early" if you arrive at that earliest time.  

As others have stated, it varies from ship to ship and port to port. The last time I purchased the Key on a cruise in December, we got an e-mail the day before the cruise stating to show up during our selected check-in window and use the Key (technically Pinnacle/Suites/ Key) entrance at the terminal. Lunch was at 1 PM in the MDR. 

Edit: Mum2Mercury made a good suggestion in the post above, although I am not personally familiar with RCI and special needs. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Adding one more thing:  With the "work" you've had done, you really should check out RC's special needs services.  You might be pleasantly surprised at the things they can offer you that might make your mobility onboard easier.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. We'll be on FOS in August. 11th cruise but first one in 3 yrs. I'm very excited. I can walk good. Just standing too long it starts to throb. It's been snowing all week here and today I'm feeling it lol. A nice young man blew a stop sign 3 yrs ago this coming July. Broke the top of my femur ( ball of the hip) snapped my femur clean in half & shattered my heel into pop corn and broke my subtalar joint ( part of the ankle that lets your foot move sideways) in 4 places. Now I have 2 screws in my hip , 2 in the top of my leg ( right below the ball) a rod in my femur ,2 screws above my knee and a plate with 13 screws in the side of my foot holding my heel together. They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger🤣

From RCI website, on The Key

Priority access will not be offered in Vancouver, Canada, or at any ports in Australia. There is no priority queue in the ART test area, for Singapore.
** Carry-on luggage drop-off service is limited to two pieces per guest and can weigh no more than 25 pounds per carry-on.
*** Welcome lunch is open from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm.
**** Reservations are required for shows on Quantum and Oasis class ships

• Thanks 1

Love the key each time we have purchased it.  It is worth the money for me to get on board, have an amazing lunch, and have them take my carry-on to the room.  You will be one of the first groups to board, and lunch usually starts at 12.

However, others have also posted this.  I just want to let you know I am a huge proponent of the key and will get it each time I sail.

• Thanks 1

We were the third couple on the Quantum from Seattle last summer with the Key. They didn't care how many carry-ons we had, all were tagged and taken. As others have posted, the lunch was a window of time you could attend.
 For the Icon we purchased it again, and expect the benefit of reserved seating areas for the shows to be of value.
 We love the early self-debarkation from Carnival, and were only emerald on Royal, so the Key made that happen as well. Expense vs value? It's a personal call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will I get something on my pre-cruise documents that identify me as a Key holder?  Or is this not designated until check-in?  Have not been on RCCL for a long time - do they still use cards that you receive at check in?

On 1/21/2024 at 11:34 AM, FTLCruiseGal said:

Love the key each time we have purchased it.  It is worth the money for me to get on board, have an amazing lunch, and have them take my carry-on to the room.  You will be one of the first groups to board, and lunch usually starts at 12.

However, others have also posted this.  I just want to let you know I am a huge proponent of the key and will get it each time I sail.