Blue Mountain Coffee

Hi everyone,

Heading off to the Carribean in a few days. I know this question has been asked before but never answered.

Any recommendations of where to buy some genuine Blue Mountain Coffee in Falmouth.

We plan on walking carefully into the “downtown” after spending some time with the merchants around the port.

Many thanks in advance.

Ricardo

I asked on the Jamaica site as did another Cruiser.

I am afraid the coffee in the port isn’t really authentic 

so will probably pass on buying any. When we went to Costa Rica

we did a plantation tour, it was fantastic.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Best bet would be Amazon.  The stuff for sale in the small shops cheap isn't the real stuff.  

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blue+mountain+coffee&crid=2W4LJ0B3CU9C0&sprefix=blue+mountain+coffee%2Caps%2C161&ref=nb_sb_noss_1.  254 hits if you want unground whole beans. 

This place also looks good -

https://bluemountaincoffee.com/ 

Google and Amazon are your friend.  No need to get off the ship to get your coffee.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

Just so you are aware, more than 80% of all genuine Blue Mountain coffee is exported from Jamaica to Japan. (They are also used in the formulation of Tia Maria coffee liqueur).  Finding the actual product that isn't a blend containing other beans from various sources may be difficult, and will be expensive.  If genuine, there will be certificate of authenticity verifying that the product you are purchasing has been registered for sale with the JACRA (Jamaica Agricultural Commodities Regulatory Authority) as the actual Blue Mountain coffee bean.

As long as 30% of the beans sourced for the blend are Blue Mountain beans, the name "Blue Mountain" can be used, but the wording of "blend" will also be included.  As I understand it, the majority of all "Blue Mountain Coffee" sold is a blend - but is still very good.

Just a word to the wise. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blue+mountain+coffee&crid=2W4LJ0B3CU9C0&sprefix=blue+mountain+coffee%2Caps%2C161&ref=nb_sb_noss_1.  254 hits if you want unground whole beans. 

This place also looks good -

https://bluemountaincoffee.com/ 

Google and Amazon are your friend.  No need to get off the ship to get your coffee.

DON

At $54 for 8 oz, I would guess that stuff in the shops at $20 for a pound is certainly a blend.  

30 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

At $54 for 8 oz, I would guess that stuff in the shops at $20 for a pound is certainly a blend.  

Most definitely.  Especially with the port shops within walking distance of the ships.  But they will say it is the real thing, since as long as the blend requirements are met the name can be used.  But the genuine full bean product is very hard to find (anywhere) due to the large exported Japan volume and Italian liqueur use.  Not much left annually for us cruiser souvenir buyers to get ahold of - LOL.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Best bet would be Amazon.  The stuff for sale in the small shops cheap isn't the real stuff.  

Amazon is full of fakes! One of the last plces I would trust. I would look online for a specialty roaster. 

11 hours ago, RiciRicardo said:

I asked on the Jamaica site as did another Cruiser.

I am afraid the coffee in the port isn’t really authentic 

so will probably pass on buying any. When we went to Costa Rica

we did a plantation tour, it was fantastic.

Thanks

Another place to get good coffee beans in Costa Rica is a local supermarket there. 

Edited by Charles4515

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Amazon is full of fakes! One of the last plces I would trust. I would look online for a specialty roaster. 

Just curious, by what method would you be assured that the specialty roaster is providing a valid product as well?  It still is an on line entity.

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Most definitely.  Especially with the port shops within walking distance of the ships.  But they will say it is the real thing, since as long as the blend requirements are met the name can be used.  But the genuine full bean product is very hard to find (anywhere) due to the large exported Japan volume and Italian liqueur use.  Not much left annually for us cruiser souvenir buyers to get ahold of - LOL.

I bought a blend in port years ago and I thought the port inspectors (who were checking every bag as we returned to the ship) were going to cut it open to check for "something"..fortunately I had a receipt.  It was good coffee but I paid $14 for 16 oz of beans, bargained down from $16.

37 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I bought a blend in port years ago and I thought the port inspectors (who were checking every bag as we returned to the ship) were going to cut it open to check for "something"..fortunately I had a receipt.  It was good coffee but I paid $14 for 16 oz of beans, bargained down from $16.

That isn't much money for good coffee.  I pay $25 for 12 oz of espresso beans at my local roaster and I use about 16 grams of coffee per cup.  If my math is correct that works to to $1.17 per cup of coffee.

DON

24 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

That isn't much money for good coffee.  I pay $25 for 12 oz of espresso beans at my local roaster and I use about 16 grams of coffee per cup.  If my math is correct that works to to $1.17 per cup of coffee.

DON

I pay about $17 for 12 oz from a local roaster. Most of my beans are ordered online from Coava in Portland Oregon. The ones I order are $17.50 Brazilian which is one of their less expensive varieties for 11 oz bags but we reduce the cost by ordering in bulk and splitting 3 ways among family members. Have to have fresh beans as I am making espresso drinks. I use 18 oz per cup. 

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

That is about average for good coffee here but since it was labelled Blue Mountain   Blend,  I knew it wasn't  100% Blue Mountain.