Ouch! Millennium specialty restaurants - No Murano

zitsky

6 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

Mind you, I was having troubles finding where they had hidden the door to Tuscan Grille as well.

We ran into the same problem, but once we went back up to deck 4 and to the far aft stairs, it was easy.  Just have to remember that you can't go down the midships stairs/elevator.

I did the Japan cruise on Millie in October.  We also were in retreat and honesty we were not impressed with Luminae.  I think some of it was that is was not too long after they started changing the menus.  One night even our waiter commented that he didn't think there was anything on the menu that sounded good.  We also did Tuscan twice and just didn't think it was as good as in the past.  I did Blu 1 night and that was fabulous.  Honestly the dinners didn't bother us because we made sure to do a lot of eating when we were in port and this cruise was booked for the itinerary not the ship or food.  The kobe beef in Japan is to die for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

...We also were in retreat and honesty we were not impressed with Luminae.  I think some of it was that is was not too long after they started changing the menus.  One night even our waiter commented that he didn't think there was anything on the menu that sounded good.  We also did Tuscan twice and just didn't think it was as good as in the past.  I did Blu 1 night and that was fabulous...

One nice thing on the M class ships in Luminae is that you can order off of the Blu and MDR menus. So an appetizer from MDR, main from Blu and dessert from Luminae - or any combination. The kitchens are all connected so the food delivery is not delayed. I never thought to ask for the bread/butter from Blu so I cannot comment on that. Blu has much tighter table spacing compared to Luminae so I prefer to have items from the Blu menu in Luminae. Also, you have the Luminae wait staff who know your preferences. 

20 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

The kobe beef in Japan is to die for.

I could not agree more.  The family across the street from my wife's family home owned a restaurant and invited my wife and I to dinner one night.  The kobe beef sirloin I had was so tender that I ate it with chopsticks and was able to 'cut' off bite size pieces using them.  

28 minutes ago, billc23 said:

One nice thing on the M class ships in Luminae is that you can order off of the Blu and MDR menus.

This is not always the case.  On our last cruise on Millennium, I was informed by the maitre'd in Luminae that it was not possible to order off the Blu menu.   He told me that if there was something on the Blu menu I wanted and gave them advance notice, that he would have the chef prepare it for me. 

I am going to try again on our upcoming May sailing on Millennium and if I am told I cannot order from the Blu menu, then I'll go to Blu and have dinner. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

This is not always the case.  On our last cruise on Millennium, I was informed by the maitre'd in Luminae that it was not possible to order off the Blu menu.   He told me that if there was something on the Blu menu I wanted and gave them advance notice, that he would have the chef prepare it for me. 

I am going to try again on our upcoming May sailing on Millennium and if I am told I cannot order from the Blu menu, then I'll go to Blu and have dinner. 

Good to know. Hopefully it was the specific maitre'd and not a fleet wide policy. However, I do understand that Blu may not have enough food prep done ahead of time to accommodate fickle Luminae diners, so giving advance notice is preferable. 

50 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

That is exactly what we were told.  I wish they would just let you order off the Blu menu without having to notify in advance.  

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

That is exactly what we were told.  I wish they would just let you order off the Blu menu without having to notify in advance.  

That's unfortunate.  We were last on her in Alaska in August '22 and that was not the case for us. Yet another possible negative change (but hopefully not).

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:35 AM, kwokpot said:

Muranos is a S-Class specialty restaurant, so no M-Class ships has this restaurant. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/murano

We’ve sailed many times in the Millenium class and they certainly did have a restaurant that was just like Murano, even if they called it something else.

It’s been a while so I don’t remember the name, but I do remember the gran marnier soufflé and serving everyone at the table at the exact same time.

5 minutes ago, twosit said:

We’ve sailed many times in the Millenium class and they certainly did have a restaurant that was just like Murano, even if they called it something else.

It’s been a while so I don’t remember the name, but I do remember the gran marnier soufflé and serving everyone at the table at the exact same time.

The "Murano type" restaurants were named after Ocean Liners of old. The Infinity, for example, had the SS United States. The menu was the same as the Murano Restaurants on the S-class ships.

1 hour ago, twosit said:

Yes BUT those restaurants were replaced fleetwide on the M Class ships with Tuscan Grille years ago, so you must be talking about a LONG, Long time ago. Edit: Based on your sailing profile in your signature the last M-Class ship you sailed was in 2012 on the Constellation. That's a long time ago.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

The "Murano type" restaurants were named after Ocean Liners of old. The Infinity, for example, had the SS United States. The menu was the same as the Murano Restaurants on the S-class ships.

The Millennium had The Olympic. Much more of the actual cooking was done table side. Also they had an amazing cheese cart! Similar menu to Murano but not the same. These restaurants were the best. The original Marano was on the Century.

scan-.jpeg.6e1a15366a40ecc92e32e380608dd6dc.jpeg

Here is the one of the original Marano menus:

Classic Lobster Bisque

Creamy lobster soup with a dash of Cognac Chardonnay, Gloria Ferrer, Carneros 

Tomato, Red Pepper and Fresh Mozzarella Soup

A light creamy soup topped with a slice of fresh mozzarella Roero Arneis Neive, Bruno Giacosa, Piedmont 

Caesar Salad

A classic, tossed and served at your table Collio Pinot Grigio, Marco Felluga, Italy 

Salad of Diced Vegetables with Lobster

Topped with shrimps and mango-curry dressing Chardonnay, Cervaro Castello Della Sala, Marchesi Antinori, Italy 

Smoked Salmon with Tuna Carpaccio

Château Carbonnieux Blanc "Pessac Leognan" 

Twice Baked Goat Cheese Soufflé

Served with a red pepper coulis and olive toast triangle Pouilly-Fumé "La Moynerie "Michel Redde, Lorie Valley, France

Frog Legs "Provençale”

Cooked with fresh herbs, white wine and garlic Pommery Brut Rosé, Champagne

Escalope of Foie Gras "Normandy"

Lightly sautéed and served with caramelized apples and Calvados Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling, Spätlese, Leonard Kreusch 

Chilled Asparagus, Sauce Gribiche

Asparagus spears with a sauce of finely chopped capers, eggs, gherkins and parsley Roero Arneis, Tenuta Carretta "COVA", Italy 

http://www.celebritycruises.com/dining/product/detail/images/dotted_line.gif

Cheese 

A Selection of fine french Cheeses

Served with Grapes, Apples and walnut bread

Entrées 

Whole Dover Sole "Meuniere"

One of the finest European fish, slowly cooked in a lightly browned lemon butter, sprinkled with parsley Puligny Montrachet, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, France 

Grilled Fillet of Sea Bass

Topped with a mixture of sun dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, pistachio and olive oil, served with grilled vegetables Chardonnay, Meursault, Louis Jadot, Burgundy 

Scallops and Lobster

Lightly cooked lobster and scallops with white wine and a dash of Pernod Chardonnay, Far Niente Winery, Napa Valley 

Magret of Duck with Slices of Glazed Pear

Carved at the table with a mandarin-Cognac sauce Pinot Noir, Domaine Drouhin, Willamette Valley, Oregon

Rack of Lamb in Puff Pastry

Coated with spinach, goat cheese, fresh mint and puff pastry Cabernet Sauvignon, Far Niente Winery, Napa Valley 

Large Shrimps Flambée

With diced tomatoes, fresh herbs, flambéed with premium Vodka served over a bed of spinach leaves Chardonnay, Frog's Leap Winery, Carneros Napa Valley 

Saltimbocca alla Romana

Escalopines of veal with prosciutto, pan fried and served with a Marsala sauce Tenuta Guado al Tasso, Bolgheri D.O.C. Superiore, Antinori 

Risotto al Funghi

A mushroom and Arborio risotto served with a parsley coulis Brunello di Montalcino, Frescobaldi, Pian delle Vigne Estate, Italy 

Tenderloin Steak "Diane"

Tenderloin cooked to your liking with garlic, parsley, sliced mushrooms, Cognac and Worcestershire sauce Zinfandel, Ravenswood, Sonoma County 

Menu Exceptionnel 

Classic Lobster Bisque

Creamy lobster soup with a dash of Cognac Chardonnay, Gloria Ferrer. Cameros

Tomato, Red Pepper and Fresh Mozzarella Soup

A light creamy soup topped with a slice of fresh mozzarella Roero Arneis Neive, Bruno Giacosa, Piedmont 

Twice Baked Goat Cheese Soufflé

Served with a red pepper coulis and olive toast triangle Pouilly-Fumé "La Moynerie" Michel Redde, Loire Valley, France

Escalope of Foie Gras "Normandy"

Lightly sautéed and served with caramelized apples and Calvados Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling, Spätlese, Leonard Kreusch 

Granité of Passion Fruit and White Rum

A delightful refreshing intermezzo

Grilled Fillet of Sea Bass

Topped with a mixture of sun dried tomatoes, fresh herbs, pistachio and olive oil, served with grilled vegetables Meursault, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, France

Rack of Lamb in Puff Pastry

Coated with spinach, goat cheese, fresh mint and puff pastry Réserve de la Comtesse, Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Pauillac

A Selection of Three Cheeses served with Grapes and Apples

Graham's Malvedos

Chocolate Soufflé

The most classic and well-known light soufflé Zinfandel, Late Harvest, Alden Vineyard, Edmeades

Bite Size Surprise

A selection of our Pastry Chef's favorite desserts Royal Tokaji Blue Label 5 Puttonyos

Coffee and Petits Fours 

Desserts 

Zabaglione flavored with Marsala

A fluffy delicate Marsala-flavored sabayon

Coconut Crème Brulée

With diced mango and papaya

Chocolate Soufflé

The most classic and well-known light soufflé

Rich Chocolate and Orange Segment Mousse Cake

Complemented with caramel and nutmeg sauce

Light Lemon and Lime Mascarpone Cheese Cake

With red berries coulis

Selection of Ice Creams and Sorbets

Freshly churned ice creams and sorbets

Bite Size Surprise 

A selection of our Pastry Chef's favorite desserts

Coffee and Petits Fours

1 minute ago, billc23 said:

The Millennium had The Olympic. Much more of the actual cooking was done table side. Also they had an amazing cheese cart! Similar menu to Murano but not the same. These restaurants were the best. The original Marano was on the Century.

scan-.jpeg.6e1a15366a40ecc92e32e380608dd6dc.jpeg

A long time ago. There also used to be a conservatory with fake plants. The current Millenium is very different from the MIllennium that debuted in 2000, almost 24 years ago.

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

A long time ago. There also used to be a conservatory with fake plants. The current Millenium is very different from the MIllennium that debuted in 2000, almost 24 years ago.

I'm showing my age... It is a shame that they turned those great restaurants into Tuscan -  IMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, billc23 said:

I'm showing my age... It is a shame that they turned those great restaurants into Tuscan -  IMHO.

Agreed. We've eaten at Tuscan Grille a handful of times and were never wowed by the experience. Qsine (one of the Newer but also since replaced restaurants-See what I mean about things always changing? ) on the other hand was a fun and different dining experience that was enjoyable and had good food. Definitely not the traditional Old World Fine dining restaurant. But to be honest those types of restaurants don't really exist anymore on land, and if they do they aren't considered the vanguard of fine dining.