Live - MSC seascape from Miami 27 Jan

Ryan82

3 hours ago, CruisematicVA said:

How are things going so far? Enjoying yourself?

Hey all. First off sorry for being so rubbish in updating this. In part I wanted to give it a few days because I was a bit in awe of the Seascape. i wanted to let initial excitement of new ship type and totally new destinations sink in so I can be balanced and hopefully helpful in update. This will be wuite long so please excuse spelling etc. Currently typing this out overlooking Grand Cayman.

• Like 3

1. Embarkation 

The MSC terminal in Miami is.... pretty bad. Its old, ugly and in poor condition. Lack of investment makes sense with new terminal being constructed.

The Embarkation process was poorest experienced so far. Turned up at allocated time and it was just slow, slow, slow.

Top tip - take some drinks with you. There was refreshments provided outside but nothing inside where most of the sitting about doing nothing occurs.

• Like 1

2. The ship

Seascape is stunning. Its my favourite ship out of the five I've been on. It's beautifully presented and I love how it feels so spacious inside. There's different zones - a bit like the Fabtastica class but better somehow.

Downside the ship is really long and a bit thinner. Somehow getting disorientated on this ship is easy. It doesn't have the slightly more logical layout of Meraviglia type ships.

What actually sucks is the lifts. I'd read they were not good, but you have to be onboard to realise how bad they are. There's not enough lifts for the size of the ship and number of passeners.

Top.tip - if you can use stairs!

• Like 2

3. Dinning

MSC is controversial when it comes to complimentary dinning. I actually ebjoy the Mediterranean type foood and have always liked what I've eaten onboard.

Seascape has a different offering. Buffet features sub and taco stations daily  which you dont get on the ships sailing in europe. 

The main dinning room menu has been adapted for american market. The food has been very good throughout the cruise so far. The meals come seasoned for American market, so maybe slightly more salty etc than what a European passenger is looking for.

Service in the Cala Jondal restaurant has been good. We were given a table for 2 (we'd have been happy to share) next to a porthole which was a great touch.

Gala night was Sunday. We were greedy and added a lobster which was served as a second course 😉 

20240129_194147.jpg

20240127_200304.jpg

20240128_201227.jpg

20240128_200004.jpg

• Like 2

4. Bar Service

It's a ship designed for outside so typically the faster bar service is in the inside bars - with exception of Seascape on deck 5 which is permanently swamped.

Favourite bar so far is loft bar on deck 8 and the cabaret bar where there's a great atmosphere and very fast service. If you are flexible as to where you'll enjoy a drink you'll have no long waits - certainly nothing like is written about on social media.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, Beamafar said:

They’re from November, so quite recent.  However, this week’s may be the ‘second’ week’s menus (they usually have a 14 day menu rotation).  Hopefully the OP will post some so we can compare.   I just gave the link so you’d get some idea of what MSC offers. 

Ive posted the two that saved to my phone. The first night i had fried chcken and waffles if that helps!

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:17 PM, Beamafar said:

The Gala and Mediterranean night ones will be the same. 

Yes they are. Someone mentioned identical Gala night menu at dinner

5. Excursions

Only stopped in Jamaica and Grand Cayman so far.

Both ports we did excursions arranged by MSC.

In Ocho Rios we chose the dune buggy adventure. The dune buggy was fun and very messy, great experience but pretty strenuous if driving. You'll definitely need a spare set of clothes - and dont make my mistake of wearing white shirts and trainers.

The ride to the secret blue hole on the canter was really good, driving fast through different terrain. The gift shop at the end wasntgreatt - just absolute  crap being sold.

In Grand cayman we chose the Turtle Sanctuary. It was about a 25 minute drive from where we got off the ship via tender boat.

The turtle sanctuary was great, so much fun, there were so many turtles and the highlight was getting to swim so close to them. Lunch was good and so was the hatchery and the main pool. Butterfly enclosure and aviary couldve been better, but maybe it just wasn't our thing.20240130_110546.thumb.jpg.989f044efb284d399ae123d1d3e7ef2e.jpg

20240130_122817.jpg

20240130_103419.jpg

20240129_131637.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Great review so far.  Was the dining room open on embarkation day?  Thanks

No it wasn't. Buffet only for guests boarding.

6. Smoking

I know a controversial subject. But I enjoy smoking cigars and obviously other people smoke.

There is no indoor facility for smoking cigars. Cigarette smokers are catered for in a small room with slot machines behind the Sports Bar. Completrly doesnt make sense to me, but whatever.

Smoking area on deck 19 is frankly unpleasant. Crowds of people puffing away and it stinks. Theres an area outside the loft bar on deck 8 which is quieter where you can smoke.

Top tip - if you smoke cigars - deck 8 outside is where to go. If you smoke cigarettes - take your pick. If you dont smoke - avoid deck 19 and dont book a balcony cabin bear deck 8 smoking side. As im sure you can smell it.

Edited by Ryan82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Thanks, forgot to ask if you've seen the $5 charge for additional entree

Check the menus posted earlier, it is shown on there...

image.png.989c7a4ebb5464708ea05fc074e4889d.png

Edited by Mark_T

2 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Check the menus posted earlier, it is shown on there...

image.png.989c7a4ebb5464708ea05fc074e4889d.png

Yes $5 surcharge for a second entree. You can have as many appetisers and desserts as you want.

5 minutes ago, jcollin said:

Thanks, forgot to ask if you've seen the $5 charge for additional entree

Yeah on mains only. The meals on Seascape are noticeably larger than what you get on MSC in europe.

Edited by Ryan82

Just now, Ryan82 said:

Yeah on mains only. The meals on Seascape are noticeably larger than what you get on MSC in europe.

There’s no charge in Europe for extra mains, so you can order more if the portion is too small. 

• Like 2

7. quality of sleep

The cabin (fabtastica balcony) is well appointed. The cabin is definitely a bit thinner than other MSC ships.

There is a really loud annoying horn like sound in the night - not sure if its plumbing or releasing air pressure or what but its loud. And it happens about every hour or so.

Top tip - bring ear plugs.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There’s no charge in Europe for extra mains, so you can order more if the portion is too small. 

Yes or you can order a side of vegetables (what we do with each meal). You can't add vegetables on seascape. We asked on first night and it was a very polite but flat no.

Just now, Ryan82 said:

Yes or you can order a side of vegetables (what we do with each meal). You can't add vegetables on seascape. We asked on first night and it was a very polite but flat no.

That’s ridiculous - unbelievable, actually.  Thanks for the heads-up and for doing this report.  We’re on Seascape in a couple of months’ time, so reading people’s experiences is very helpful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That’s ridiculous - unbelievable, actually.  Thanks for the heads-up and for doing this report.  We’re on Seascape in a couple of months’ time, so reading people’s experiences is very helpful. 

To be fair most meals are served with an adequate amount of vegetables. Which in my view isn't the case on european itineraries. The service in the MDR is really high quality and the staff really look after you.