Connecting Cabins - Royal Princess Mini-Suite - Any Cons

drowelf

We've booked a mini-suite on the Royal Princess (Aloha Deck) and just realized that it is connecting room. Does anyone have experience with one of these rooms. How much noise comes through the connecting door and does having the door mean you have less closet or other space that would be there if the door was not. 

44 minutes ago, drowelf said:

We've booked a mini-suite on the Royal Princess (Aloha Deck) and just realized that it is connecting room. Does anyone have experience with one of these rooms. How much noise comes through the connecting door and does having the door mean you have less closet or other space that would be there if the door was not. 

You may want to rebook with another room. 

Families like the mini suites that are connecting, and there's not a lot of them.

Edited by startedwithamouse

We've had connecting mini-suites 2 times, once on the Ruby Princess and once on the Enchanted Princess.  In both cases the door was in the wall opposite the entry to the closet so it took up no space,

On the Ruby Princess our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were next door.  Noise wasn't a problem and it was very convenient to have easy access to each other. 

On the Enchanted Princess a couple was next door and the first night didn't start off well.  As we were getting ready for bed all of sudden there was a loud, continuous noise coming from the room next door.  I opened our connecting door (their door was still closed) and it sounded like a wind tunnel but there was no wind.  I told my husband loudly that it sounded like a wind tunnel and I bet they had the balcony door open (there are warnings on those doors to keep them closed).  We gave them 5 minutes, I reopened the connecting door, and this time yelled (the only way he could hear me above the noise) at my husband from right by the connecting door to call guest services and ask for someone to come and explain they couldn't leave the balcony door open.  They must have heard me because the wind tunnel effect ended immediately and we weren't bothered by that noise, or any other type of noise, for the remainder of the 10 night cruise.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

You may want to rebook with another room. 

Families like the mini suites that are connecting, and there's not a lot of them.

You have any experience here, with this? I'm not sure I understand your comment. We are going to be one-half of the connecting rooms, so what would a family that likes them have to do with this, as the occupants of the other room are unknown to us. 

Or are you telling me that I should give up the room just so a family that want connecting rooms can book it? 

We were in a connecting Mini-Suite on the Sky Princess last week.  There was absolutely no noise coming from the other room.  Didn’t hear a thing.  

Edited by antmaril

10 hours ago, drowelf said:

You have any experience here, with this? I'm not sure I understand your comment. We are going to be one-half of the connecting rooms, so what would a family that likes them have to do with this, as the occupants of the other room are unknown to us. 

Or are you telling me that I should give up the room just so a family that want connecting rooms can book it? 

Yes.

We book connecting rooms with our kids and the cabins are hard to come. It's especially frustrating when one is booked and other non connecting cabins are available right next to it or nearby. 

We had a pair of connecting mini suites on the Royal last year. If the doors were closed we didn't hear anything (but we kept them cracked obviously since we were together). What someone mentioned above is true, if one of the mini suites leaves their balcony door open you can hear the whooshing wind sound through the doors, but only if the ship was moving. The connecting door is on the wall across from the closet area so you don't lose any space. 

We were in one of those a few years ago.  On the Royal these doors were apparently put in during a dry dock, not during initial construction as they were on later Royal Class ships.  It was as if the couple in the room next door was in our room with us.  The steward said he had heard lots of complaints and he gave us extra towels to stuff in the space below the door.  It helped.  Not sure if this particular duo of rooms was worse than others but I made a mental note not to book a connecting room if at all possible in the future.  And these doors didn't eliminate closet space - it's on the other side of the entry hallway from the closet on both sides so they just replaced a smooth wall with a door.