What is the best pay as you go resort in Costa Maya (Mahahual Beach)?

WirelessRoute

Looking to get updated advice on Costa Maya. Read through multiple posts here and watched a ton of YouTube videos just to be even more confused. We have been several times but not in at least 3 years. In the past we walked out the cruise port area and grabbed the trolley to Mahahual Beach. Looks like the trolley is gone and substituted with bunch of taxis? We been to Krazy Lobster a few times and thought it was fine. Leaning toward a revist toe KL. Looking for any updated recommendation of a pay as you go resorts while we are there in March. Mainly looking to relax, and not a huge party scene. What worries is is there are 3 ships in port including the RCL Harmony of Seas, Regal Princess and MSC Seashore which we are on. I am thinking some of these places will be packed. Any updated recommendations PAYG?  I see a lot of different places posted like Tropicante, Yaya, Nohoch Kay. Looks like Malecon21 and several others are now all inclusive. Appreciate any help in advance!

2 hours ago, WirelessRoute said:

Looking to get updated advice on Costa Maya. Read through multiple posts here and watched a ton of YouTube videos just to be even more confused. We have been several times but not in at least 3 years. In the past we walked out the cruise port area and grabbed the trolley to Mahahual Beach. Looks like the trolley is gone and substituted with bunch of taxis? We been to Krazy Lobster a few times and thought it was fine. Leaning toward a revist toe KL. Looking for any updated recommendation of a pay as you go resorts while we are there in March. Mainly looking to relax, and not a huge party scene. What worries is is there are 3 ships in port including the RCL Harmony of Seas, Regal Princess and MSC Seashore which we are on. I am thinking some of these places will be packed. Any updated recommendations PAYG?  I see a lot of different places posted like Tropicante, Yaya, Nohoch Kay. Looks like Malecon21 and several others are now all inclusive. Appreciate any help in advance!

It’s been a year since we were there but your assessment seems spot on. 

It appears the taxis may have moved back outside the port again although I am not sure on that. Dispatch had moved inside last time we were there and that was supposedly the reason for increased fare to $4 pp  to cover port access fee - interested to hear if price have gone down again? The taxis have always been there but used to be trolley or taxi out, taxi return for some reason.

We like PAYG too but Bars in Mahahual have become greedy and have moved mainly to AI rate, or at least a minimum cover for loungers. Disappointing if you want to bar hop, as we enjoyed, although you can usually do that still if you sit at tables across the malecon rather than beach side.

Krazy Lobster has taken over many locations and seems to be relatively legitimate with pricing. we have enjoyed short breaks there but not our favorite for the day. 

Malecon 21 used to be our go-to location pre-Covid. They have a minimum spend, credited to food and drink not strictly AI. Yaya lost our vote last time when they did a bait and switch,  changed their pricing to a ridiculous fee just for loungers - no food and drink credit so I would be very wary of booking there. I think Nohoch has always been AI but you may be able to do PAYG on the day if they have low numbers which is the case with other bars too.  

Krazy Lobster will be busy but probably have room due to size, Malecon21 I think you may need to pre-reserve, places at south end will probably have room  - Sulumar, Chunky Monkey, Hotel Luna de Plata, Machos but not the best beaches.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/30/2024 at 6:37 PM, WirelessRoute said:

Thanks for the tips I will further research the additional places you listed and post back with where we end up going.

We are trying to figure out where to go too. We have not been to Costa Maya and there are 3 additional ships with the Seashore being last in port. All arrive at 7AM and us at 8AM. Looking forward to your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

With 4 ships in port it was PACKED the day we were there.  We navigated the shoulder to shoulder crowd thru the port area and walked outside the gate to get a taxi, $4 pp each way. There were taxis inside the gate, not sure how much those were.  

We ended up at Big Mamas with Gilberto helping us.  He got us a table and said we were welcome to stay all day. We had drinks and nachos.  

We will be there mid-June on Enchanted Princess and have the same questions. We arrive at 7 and depart at 4.  I’m not sure what that means in terms of getting off the ship.  I know we have to be back at least 30 minutes before the ship departs.  Is anyone familiar with Pitaya Beach Club?  Looks good on Yelp or TripAdvisor, but you never know. I’m not sure if it’s PAYG or AI.

We are a family of 6 and the kids will want to swim.  The adults will want shade, a drink and a snack, as will the kids.

I am apprehensive of taxis.  Will there be any van type taxis that will hold all 6 of us?  I do not care to separate.

Also, can anyone tell me if I am likely to have a discrepancy between local and ships time?

Edited by BamaVol

22 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We will be there mid-June on Enchanted Princess and have the same questions. We arrive at 7 and depart at 4.  I’m not sure what that means in terms of getting off the ship.  I know we have to be back at least 30 minutes before the ship departs.  Is anyone familiar with Pitaya Beach Club?  Looks good on Yelp or TripAdvisor, but you never know. I’m not sure if it’s PAYG or AI.

They have a website. https://www.pitayabeach.com/ I think they have packages. It was closed during the pandemic but was open in January.  Not sure if same owners. Prior to the pandemic the plce got good reviews from many folks here.

We are a family of 6 and the kids will want to swim.  The adults will want shade, a drink and a snack, as will the kids.

I am apprehensive of taxis.  Will there be any van type taxis that will hold all 6 of us?  I do not care to separate.

You will have to walk out of the cruise port and up a block or two to catch a taxi.  The people there will assist you in getting a van taxi.

Also, can anyone tell me if I am likely to have a discrepancy between local and ships time?

If you are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. the ship will be on Daylight Savings time. Costa Maya and Cozumel do not observe daylight savings time but stay on Eastern Standard Time all year long.  Thus ship time will typically be 1 Hour ahead of Costa Maya time.  DO NOT adjust your watches to local time unless the ship tells you to do so.  There will be announcements and you can see the clocks on the ship.  Your watch needs to match the clocks on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Thanks.

I think I will have to keep my iPhone on airplane mode or hard set it to EDT to prevent a time change.  Maybe I’ll just buy a watch for one of the kids and put them in charge of time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

4 ships in Port 3 big ships, Royal Caribbean Harmony,  MSC Seashore and princess regal. Had a blast at Crazy Lobster was packed but plenty of room we went  there early around 1030 am. Cab ride was $4 a person each way. Food was good and prices reasonable. Bucket of small beer 5 for 7 or regular size beer 5 for $10. 

20240321_113058.jpg

20240321_113046.jpg

20240321_113053.jpg

Edited by WirelessRoute
  • Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 12:44 PM, mattyboy said:

Wireless - how was access to the beach at Krazy Lobster?

It was right on the other side of the tables and chair, not far at all. There was a a lot of sand bags up near the water to prevent errosion. The water was clean from sargasum as they had plastic fence up around the entire beach. Plenty of adults and kids in the water, they had free kayaks to use as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 1:07 PM, BamaVol said:

We will be there mid-June on Enchanted Princess and have the same questions. We arrive at 7 and depart at 4.

we'll be there right before you with 5 people (June 1 sailing). 

Been there before the pandemic, at Blue Kay beach club. We really liked it then...

I hope they didn't change much or start charging a ton of money pp, but we are willing to try them again. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we'll be there right before you with 5 people (June 1 sailing). 

Been there before the pandemic, at Blue Kay beach club. We really liked it then...

I hope they didn't change much or start charging a ton of money pp, but we are willing to try them again. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Pitaya or Blue Key? 

I would be interested in a review of Pitaya. We canceled our booking due to bait and switch. Disappointing as it looked interesting.

Blue Key has had very mixed reviews since restart. Opinions there would be interesting too but not as appealing. 

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Pitaya or Blue Key? 

Blue Kay.

We are very low key and would simply like a few chaises in a shade for a price that is not exorbitant.

Before the pandemic they charged $12 pp and that included 2 drinks of your choice and a chaise. I can't find any info about present charges.

• Thanks 1

We went to Pez Quadro at the 40 Cannons Hotel when we were in Costa Maya on the Carnival Jubilee. Saw van taxis, but with only 4 of us, didn't worry about that too much. Pez Quadro was AI for drinks, but for food was one free order per person off the lunch menu. Food was good, beach was clean (any hawkers went away with a polite "no thank you"). We had a good time.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:36 PM, c-leg5 said:

I would be interested in a review of Pitaya. We canceled our booking due to bait and switch. Disappointing as it looked interesting.

Apologies and correction - it was YaYa that changed the price on us NOT Pitaya. I have always got those two mixed up but I have never communicated with Pitaya. 

Packages for Pitaya are listed on their website. Yaya and Pitaya have similar packages listed.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:07 PM, BamaVol said: