Recent Magic or Vista

Lee2385

Hi guys, 

I have done both of these ships but it’s been years. Looking for recent reviews to decide which one to book. Close in price and both itineraries are good

thanks

1 hour ago, Lee2385 said:

Hi guys, 

I have done both of these ships but it’s been years. Looking for recent reviews to decide which one to book. Close in price and both itineraries are good

thanks

I haven't been on Vista, but I've been on Horizon, which is similar.  I have been on Magic.  I would 100% choose Horizon over Magic (all other things similar), so I'd have to say I would chose Vista over Magic.  The first time I was on the Magic, I don't know why, but I didn't really care for the ship.  For one, I think the decor is unappealing, but of course that is preference.  I like most of the Farcus ships, but this green and brown color scheme just isn't for me lol.  I liked the Magic a little more on the second trip though, but it still wasn't my favorite.  I really like the Vista class ships though.

• Like 1

I was on the Magic the first week of January and really loved it. I thought the entertainment (with the exception of the piano bar) was terrific and the staff was so friendly. I was worried about the food, having read it isn't great, but that was not the case. I even did Chef's table and it was worth every penny!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wrightkj said:

I was on the Magic the first week of January and really loved it. I thought the entertainment (with the exception of the piano bar) was terrific and the staff was so friendly. I was worried about the food, having read it isn't great, but that was not the case. I even did Chef's table and it was worth every penny!

Good to hear the ship has improved recently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I haven't been on Vista, but I've been on Horizon, which is similar.  I have been on Magic.  I would 100% choose Horizon over Magic (all other things similar), so I'd have to say I would chose Vista over Magic.  The first time I was on the Magic, I don't know why, but I didn't really care for the ship.  For one, I think the decor is unappealing, but of course that is preference.  I like most of the Farcus ships, but this green and brown color scheme just isn't for me lol.  I liked the Magic a little more on the second trip though, but it still wasn't my favorite.  I really like the Vista class ships though.

Fun fact, the Magic is the last ship Farcus decorated for Carnival.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wrightkj said:

So happy to hear this.  We sailed on the Magic back in 2018.  It was my first time on a Dream Class.  We are booked on the Magic for this coming May.  BTW, we canceled a Vista cruise for the Magic.

• Like 1

I was on Vista in November. My least favorite ship so far. It's been a few months now so take these comments with that in mind, any of this may have changed.

The main dining room service was so slow.  Extremely slow. The food was also...okay. There was no showtime during dinner.  Not sure if it was this cruise or the ship but I missed it. We skipped the MDR a couple of times in favor of lido and much of it was closed for dinner making the lines so long it was unreal. The absolute worst part for me though was how hot it was everywhere.  We had dinner at JiJi's, typically my family's favorite meal of the cruise and we were dripping with sweat.  The food there was still amazing (and the highlight of the week) but it was such an uncomfortable evening. I also hated how the Liquid Lounge was set up, I just avoided the shows for much of the cruise because of it. 

Never again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lee2385 said:

Hi guys, 

thanks

I was on the Magic in November, and I just got off sister ship the Dream a few days ago.  I had a great time on both.  Both ships were in good shape with decent food and excellent crew.  I did threads on both at the time of their sailings; search around here and you'll find them. 

The Horizon remains my favorite Carnival ship and the Vista is a sister to her.  But I was last on the Ho in 2019 and much could have changed in that time.

You should be happy with whatever choice you make.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I've sailed the Vista and Breeze twice (sister ship) before. We love the Breeze but it always comes to itinerary for us personally. We are sailing on the Vista for the 2nd time this coming December.
Tough choice for you if ports aren't an issue.  

Here's a review of the Vista from October: 
Better late than never photo dump, Vista Thanksgiving '21 - Carnival Cruise Lines - Cruise Critic Community

My cousin sailed on the Vista over New Years and said that the MDR food and service wasn't great and they were running out of food and drinks but it was the last cruise before dry dock so that might have impacted everything.

The Vista is in dry dock right now and this is the unofficial info on it:

Update As Of 1/28/2024:  The Carnival Vista's 2024 dry-dock is now taking place in Cadiz, Spain. The time out of service is scheduled to end 2/14/2024. It is expected the Carnival Vista's Skybox Sports Bar is being converted to the Heroes Tribute Bar & Lounge as Carnival put the Heroes Tribute Bar & Lounge as coming soon to the Carnival Vista online. Carnival has not confirmed the red, white, & blue hull livery is being added to the Carnival Vista, but based on recent exterior pictures I have seen it does appear the hull livery is being added. The full of scope of work has not been released by Carnival. 

Some things to compare between the Vista and Magic:
-Vista has Skyride and the Imax although there are rumours the latter is being removed
-Magic has a far better theatre

-Vista has more specialty restaurants

Regardless of what you choose, the beverages will be cold! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I was on the Magic in November, and I just got off sister ship the Dream a few days ago.  I had a great time on both.  Both ships were in good shape with decent food and excellent crew.  I did threads on both at the time of their sailings; search around here and you'll find them. 

The Horizon remains my favorite Carnival ship and the Vista is a sister to her.  But I was last on the Ho in 2019 and much could have changed in that time.

You should be happy with whatever choice you make.  Good luck!

Horizon was my fave but just got off of her and it wasn’t great. The food was awful

• Thanks 1

Was on the last Vista cruise before drydock. Was on Magic a few years ago. I liked Magic a little better because I felt the public areas on the Magic were bigger. I didn't feel as crammed in some areas on the Magic like I felt at times on the Vista. Also, the theater is way better on the Magic. Whoever designed the Liquid Lounge (theater) on Vista, should maybe think about a different career.