Renewing a Canadian passport online

I thought renewing a Canadian passport online was supposed to start in fall of 2023.  It doesn’t look like that is happening.  Has anyone heard anything further on this? I don’t keep up with the news that much but I wasn’t able to find anything by googling.  Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Hasn't happened yet. In fact since extensive media coverage of the May 10, 2023 announcement nothing but crickets.

I was looking on behalf of someone else about a month ago but I didn’t look a lot.  Took a better look today.  Mine doesn’t expire until Dec of 2026 I believe so maybe the govt will have it ready by then 😛.  Thanks for the reply.

I am hoping that they get this online sooner than later. Mine expires in January 2025, so I need to be looking at that after we get back from our cruise in March, because we have cruises booked February-April next year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

I am hoping that they get this online sooner than later. Mine expires in January 2025, so I need to be looking at that after we get back from our cruise in March, because we have cruises booked February-April next year.

The current renewal process isn’t really any more cumbersome if you mail in your application. You do need a physical picture, but I’m sure that the rules for digital pictures for online renewals will be very strict and many online applications will likely be returned if the picture is not taken professionally and properly sized. 

It is so convenient and efficient go to a Service Canada office to get a passport renewal. Online application may be available in the fall, but when you go in person to Service Canada you know when you leave that your passport WILL be issued. Also you know your photo has been accepted and payment verified. We live in a very small town in Nova Scotia which has a Service Canada office, and no appointment is needed. From the day we went to the office it was just shy of 3 weeks until our passports came in the mail. This was January of this year. No stress wondering if it is going to be processed. Service Canada gives you a tracking number so you can check on the progress online. 

Edited by Atlantic Girl
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Atlantic Girl said:

It is so convenient and efficient go to a Service Canada office to get a passport renewal. Online application may be available in the fall, but when you go in person to Service Canada you know when you leave that your passport WILL be issued. Also you know your photo has been accepted and payment verified. We live in a very small town in Nova Scotia which has a Service Canada office, and no appointment is needed. From the day we went to the office it was just shy of 3 weeks until our passports came in the mail. This was January of this year. No stress wondering if it is going to be processed. Service Canada gives you a tracking number so you can check on the progress online. 

Yes, I can imagine in a tiny town it would be. I live in a major metropolitan city.   Just for giggles I looked on line the other day.  The wait was 3.5 hours.  I still work so never mind the 3.5 hour plus the time to get there you are looking at a half of a day minimum. Just because something works for me or someone else can you assume that’s the way it is for everyone?  The only good thing for me is that I’m hoping to be retired by the time I need my next passport.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I can imagine in a tiny town it would be. I live in a major metropolitan city.   Just for giggles I looked on line the other day.  The wait was 3.5 hours.  I still work so never mind the 3.5 hour plus the time to get there you are looking at a half of a day minimum. Just because something works for me or someone else can you assume that’s the way it is for everyone?  The only good thing for me is that I’m hoping to be retired by the time I need my next passport.

If you are careful following all the rules for mailing in your passport application (so it doesn’t have to be returned) mailing in an application is barely more difficult than doing it online. 

47 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

If you are careful following all the rules for mailing in your passport application (so it doesn’t have to be returned) mailing in an application is barely more difficult than doing it online. 

I may decide to do that.  I'm good at following instructions.  

• Like 1