Delta changed our flight--Fusina port to VCE travel time?

miacincin

Hello! We'll be returning to Fusina port on Sat, 4/27 at 7am (on Azamara Pursuit). We had the perfect return flight scheduled for that afternoon out of VCE, but Delta just changed our flight, and it now departs at 11:05 am. Azamara advised that, "The earliest departure flight we recommend for your cruise is 12pm." They also said, "We can provide a transfer from the port to the airport if your flight is not before 12pm." My questions are as follows: Could we realistically get off the ship in time to catch an 11:05am flight if it docks Fusina at 7am? If so, how would we arrange transportation (since it sounds like Azamara won't offer us a transfer to the airport)?  

Many thanks!

This is based on our experience in October last year.  Our Azamara cruise embarked and disembarked from Fusina.

No one was allowed to embark or disembark independently in Fusina  There were apparently no facilities at the Fusina terminal to handle cruise passengers.  Everyone checked in at the old terminal - Marittima.  Luggage was tagged and was sent independently. We were then taken by an Azamara bus to Fusina. The reverse happened at the end of the cruise.

There is a cruise terminal in Fusina - but it caters for the boats that ply the lagoon. It was not connected to the area where the cruise ship was moored when we were there.

I really can't comment on Azamara disembarkation transfers to the airport as we were spending the night in Venice. I don't know if the Azamara buses are permitted to go directly to the airport or must return to Marittima first.

I would check carefully to see if you are permitted to disembark independently - things obviously change over time.

Do a google search on Fusina cruise terminal and you will find similar discussion about this issue.  One thread is from Regent Cruise line where they clearly state the same rule.

The previous poster obviously had a very different experience so I would certainly try to get something in writing from Azamara regarding independent disembarkation.

(I meant to add you would also need to check if private vehicles are allowed to enter the Fusina port area if you were hoping to get a private transfer to the airport))

Edited by Charlie Chan
  • Like 1

Ship transfers take longer than private ones because you are dealing with more people [there's always 'that guy'...].  If Azamara says 12:00 could work with their transfer, 11:05 would probably work with a private transfer set to pick you up at the earliest possible time (and wait if ship clearing is delayed).

OTOH, Delta has a flight at 1:40 pm to JFK that connects to O'Hare with 9:37 pm arrival (DL289, DL3686).  Assuming that's where you would be heading, that's the flight I would take to avoid agita at the end of dolce far niente.

• Like 2

If delta changed your flight time, you should be able to change your flight to one that works with no charge to you.  Look up flights that will work for you and give Delta a call.  We tend to book our flights quite a ways out and have had to do this many times with AA, as flight times can be changed often.

Edited by laurieb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Charlie Chan said:

The previous poster obviously had a very different experience so I would certainly try to get something in writing from Azamara regarding independent disembarkation.

(I meant to add you would also need to check if private vehicles are allowed to enter the Fusina port area if you were hoping to get a private transfer to the airport))

I should have said that we stayed overnight at the Olimpia Hotel just steps from where the AirPort Express is taken. Stay over an extra night and enjoy Venice if the flight is offered the following day. 

• Like 1

I know everybody has personal circumstances that force us to travel on certain days, but if at all possible, stay an extra night in a hotel, enjoy Italy one more day, and travel to the airport without hurry.  I've had too many close calls, and have missed a few flights in my life, so I try to allow more time for delays.

As @laurieb pointed out, when an airline changes your flight schedule, they give you the opportunity to rebook without extra charges.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laurieb said:

If delta changed your flight time, you should be able to change your flight to one that works with no charge to you.  Look up flights that will work for you and give Delta a call.  We tend to book our flights quite a ways out and have had to do this many times with AA, as flight times can be changed often.

I was also going to say the same thing. We recently had a post cruise flight  scheduled that was changed by Delta. The new flight time was earlier than we wanted. We called, and were easily able to change to a later flight. Hope you’re able to work this out.

• Like 2

You've all given me so much to consider, thank you for your generous replies! I do believe Azamara docks first in Fusina, then shuttles passengers back to Marittima, but getting answers and info from them has proven to be very difficult. I'm afraid I won't get accurate or timely info if I try to inquire about self-disembarkation or the availability of private transfers at Fusina. I only hope our experience cruising with them is better than their customer service! 

So, rather than cut it too close and be stressed about catching the 11am flight, we've re-booked on the 1:40 to JFK, then onward to CVG, on 4/27. The layover duration is tight at 1hr 40 mins but hoping we can make it since we aren't checking bags. We would've considered staying an extra night or two after disembarking but we're spending three nights in Venice on the front end and will be ready to get home by then. 

I really, really appreciate your time and great insights...thanks, again!

Edited by miacincin
  • Like 7