Magic vs. Sunrise - gimme ALL the opinions!

Hey cruise friends! 

Looking at booking a cruise for this fall likely with my sister and my daughter, who will be 10 at the time. We are planning on going over my kiddo’s presumed fall break week. I say presumed because our school district had yet to put out the school calendar for next year due to the planned opening of our new intermediate school…waiting to make sure there are no big delays over the winter with construction. Her fall break has historically been the week of Columbus Day so I think we are just going to chance it and book! If they flip the script on me and her break is another week, she’ll just miss a week of school, which I’m sure she won’t mind! lol 

We have narrowed down our choices between the Magic and the Sunrise. Both would be new ships to me. Both go out of Miami. The itineraries would be:

Magic 6 Day - HMC, Amber Cove and Grand Turk. 

Sunrise 5 Day - Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. 

Prices are similar, with the 6 day being only nominally higher than the 5 day. And FWIW, airfare is slightly cheaper if we book for the dates of the longer 6 day trip (by about $40 pp). 

I’ve been to all of the ports except Amber Cove and my sis has never been to HMC. The kiddo has been to HMC and loved it but the rest would be new ports for her. 

Of course, we are leaning toward the Magic cause of the extra day! But is there anything else that we should consider ship wise that may sway us in another direction? Would love any and all feedback on the ships themselves or ports for a 10 year old! The Magic itinerary would be more geared toward beach days. The Sunrise itinerary would have more options for fun excursions (turtle farm, stingray swims, climbing the falls, etc.). 

take it away! 

I've sailed the Sunrise multiple times - but only because we had crazy cheap (almost free) offers for that ship. I've been on the Magic once , sailing again in May.

The Sunrise is fine. I prefer the Magic. It's  bigger (but not giant like the Celebration. I wasn't a fan.), has lots to offer.

I guess fall break would be considered shoulder season so it would be fine. I absolutely would never sail a Sunshine class ship during busy seasons. You will never be more sick of standing in lines or waiting for an elevator or hunting for a table on Lido than if you sail a Sunshine class ship during the busy season.

I prefer the Magic and it's itinerary. The nice thing about the itinerary is you don't have to spend any money on excursions if you don't want to. All three ports have free options right off the ship. 

• Like 2

I have been on both ships. 

Love both of the ships, the Dream class is my particular favourite - bigger ships but seem to be able to accommodate the number of passengers to crew ratio. 

The Sunrise is a gorgeous ship, comparing the two ships they seem offer almost identical amenities / activities and ship offerings, so I would base my choice on the itinerary. One thing to note the coffee shop java blue location on the Sunrise is on deck four - I enjoyed this location as I could get an iced coffee and go to see one of the playlist shows. 

HMC is my ultimate favourite port of call, I would go for the Magic - for the ports, for the extra days and the Magic is a gorgeous ship. also the itinerary gives beach/ pool vibes whereas Sunrise you could do varied activities in Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios - Dunns River Falls. 

Regardless I hope you have an amazing cruise whichever one you select. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I guess fall break would be considered shoulder season so it would be fine. I absolutely would never sail a Sunshine class ship during busy seasons. You will never be more sick of standing in lines or waiting for an elevator or hunting for a table on Lido than if you sail a Sunshine class ship during the busy season.

We actually cruised the Sunshine out of Charleston this past October during our daughter's fall break and the cruise was packed with tons of kids. Overall, we didn't find it too bad! The kid-centric activities had very long lines. Pick up night one at kids camp was insane! The Build-A-Bear workshop line was ridiculous - and we even got there 30 minutes early! But other than that, we didn't feel like lines were too out of control anywhere else. Food lines went quickly, we don't usually take elevators, seats for shows weren't too hard to come by. I had read the horror stories about the crowds on Sunshine and was prepared, but it was better than expected. 

Cruised on both - prefer the Magic over the Sunrise.  Been on Magic about 5 times and would not hesitate to go again.  Sunrise is probably a one and done for me.

Plus the extra day and the ports would lean me towards the Magic too.

I haven't sailed on either of those ships, but I vote for Magic because of the extra day.  And a friend of mine says that's her family's favorite Carnival ship.

There's a waterfall excursion in Amber Cove - Damajagua Falls.  You can book through Carnival or through reputable 3rd party vendors that I've read about on some of these boards.

Edited by dlphn501
spelling

Thanks, all! I We have decided to go ahead and move forward with the Magic! Excited to sail another new (to me) ship and have some fun girl time with my sis and my kiddo!