LIVE from Discovery Princess Mexican Riviera from LA 2/3-2/10 2024

sonomaphil

17 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

The Salty Dog Gastropub menu.

PXL_20240207_013442100.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thank you @sonomaphil for the live review.  I'm on the Enchanted in a few weeks and your photos and menus are shaping my future choices...which will NOT include the Salty Dog.  The small portions and looks of the food, along with your commentary, helped cement that decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree,op’s photo is beautiful even with a hallway food tray.

Food tray-keep it in your cabin and your cabin attendant will take it for you. You can put it on top of the refrigerator-There’s usually a cabinet, there’s usually a little table or could always put it on the desk. If none of those areas works for you, leave it on the bed maybe with a towel underneath it or put it in the bathroom across the sink area. Probably quite a few choices .

Most of the time people put it in the hallway-They’ve already left the cabin for the day, so just leave it in your cabin, it’ll be taken care of.  Just my opinion/ 2 cents.

Author/op- I am enjoying your live review and photos.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I agree,op’s photo is beautiful even with a hallway food tray.

Food tray-keep it in your cabin and your cabin attendant will take it for you. You can put it on top of the refrigerator-There’s usually a cabinet, there’s usually a little table or could always put it on the desk. If none of those areas works for you, leave it on the bed maybe with a towel underneath it or put it in the bathroom across the sink area. Probably quite a few choices .

Most of the time people put it in the hallway-They’ve already left the cabin for the day, so just leave it in your cabin, it’ll be taken care of.  Just my opinion/ 2 cents.

Author/op- I am enjoying your live review and photos.

Absolutely agree. There is no excuse for leaving a tray outside your cabin, regardless of cabin type. Just call and have it removed.

• Like 6

On 2/5/2024 at 2:53 PM, Thrak said:

I didn't say anything about hating the premium desserts but I did disparage them and say I would never eat one. I dropped 40 lbs last year and then cruised 63 days without gaining even one pound back. There is no way I am going to eat one of those desserts and the idea of eating two of them every day is mind boggling.

Congratulations on the weight loss, 40 pounds is very impressive. Even more impressive to cruise for 63 days without gaining any weight.  Walking a lot?

On 2/6/2024 at 7:44 AM, sonomaphil said:

Interestingly I noticed that the 360 dining experience is available to book for this evening as it was last night.  We would not do this dining gimmick ourselves but I thought it was so popular you couldn't get reservations. Guess I fell for the propaganda.

Suite bookings after December 1 no longer include an invitation for this experience.  Positive reviews may be creating more interest.  A lot of the discussion concerning reservations is centered around the suite passengers obtain their preferred times and some concern about any availability.  Unlike the included two Speciality restaurant reservations included with the Premier package, you cannot book any 360 experiences on line without a payment.  The letter that I received from Princess for my upcoming cruise said that since I booked prior to December to stop by the lounge for a reservation,  

2 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

This is tough if you’re not in a deluxe balcony or minisuite+…there’s no PLACE to keep this inside the room; so it HAS to go outside, unfortunately.

I don’t believe so.  Ours always sits on our little table in the cabin and that is in a regular balcony cabin.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Thank you @sonomaphil for the live review.  I'm on the Enchanted in a few weeks and your photos and menus are shaping my future choices...which will NOT include the Salty Dog.  The small portions and looks of the food, along with your commentary, helped cement that decision.

We absolutely love the Salty Dog and never have been disappointed with the food. Too small plates each is plenty,  even too much for us unless I just order off the top of the menu.  We never even have room for the dessert when we go there.  The chicken sandwhich, scotch egg over mushrooms and the asparagus are my absolute favorites but the lobster Mac and cheese is also really good.  
But, I believe the Echanted may have O’Malleys instead of the GastroPub and if so, you won’t have to worry.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We absolutely love the Salty Dog and never have been disappointed with the food. Too small plates each is plenty,  even too much for us unless I just order off the top of the menu.  We never even have room for the dessert when we go there.  The chicken sandwhich, scotch egg over mushrooms and the asparagus are my absolute favorites but the lobster Mac and cheese is also really good.  
But, I believe the Echanted may have O’Malleys instead of the GastroPub and if so, you won’t have to worry.  

Always too much food for us too. We love salty dog.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's lots of complimentary items on the app.

You must first agree to the $14.99 charge if you have standard fare.

This is not under food it's under the category "stateroom amenities" with things like a robe or a sharps box or extra luggage tags. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

This is not under food it's under the category "stateroom amenities" with things like a robe or a sharps box or extra luggage tags. 

We were told not to use the app the last time we had standard by our stateroom steward for bathrobes, pillows, etc, because there would be a charge associated with using the app when we inquired. Just passing along what we were told. We would leave him notes when we needed something. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, startedwithamouse said:

We were told not to use the app the last time we had standard by our stateroom steward for bathrobes, pillows, etc, because there would be a charge associated with using the app when we inquired. Just passing along what we were told. We would leave him notes when we needed something. 

OK but that seems wrong. Even Princess could not get away with charging you $15 for extra luggage tags!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

OK but that seems wrong. Even Princess could not get away with charging you $15 for extra luggage tags!  

But it's how you order them. Like a convenience fee.

Agree with you, it does seem wrong. Really wrong when 24 hour room service, and anything you need using the app was included when thousands of bookings were made. Until it wasn't. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Congratulations on the weight loss, 40 pounds is very impressive. Even more impressive to cruise for 63 days without gaining any weight.  Walking a lot?

We walked a fair amount during the trip. We walked to the Botanical Gardens in Sydney and around the grounds there and walked a fair amount in other cities and on the ship. We made some use of the stairs but not like we did years ago. I'm happy to be able to walk as not too long ago I was looking at walkers thinking I might well need to buy one for the long term. I graduated to walking with a cane  but it wasn't good and I couldn't do it for long or for very far. Now I walk without a cane or any assistance. I'll never be a long distance walker but I'm happy to get around on my own. It's great that simple things like going to Costco are no longer an issue. The secret to cruising without gaining weight is to not eat all the time just because there is food everywhere.

• Like 8