Carnival 55+

kathy32259

Carnival has a 1A rate, Im cruising with a friend who cruises solo in her cabins. The newer ships have some better 1A cabins, with port holes or windows even. You still pay a 50% premium, on only the cruise part. i.e. most prices shown include cruise portion and port charges, you pay 50% only on the cruise portion, so a cruise shown at $449, winds up at $639 with taxes and single supplement. A cruise for $269 winds up at $416. My PVP has priced several out for us.

I have seen a few on last minute specials with RCL that offer less than the usual double cruise single supplement but its on and off again.

Another question - do you find the 55+ discounts thru a TA or by booking with the cruise line directly? Or does it even matter?

Roz

I check the net for them myself. RCL has them listed and Carnival has some senior discounts. Most cruise lines such dont have senior rates. Princess for instance has no senior rates. Disney doesnt have them either.

Thanks, Firefly. Another question for all of you - do you have to be 55 or over at the time of booking, or 55 or over by the time of the actual cruise?

Roz

• 4 weeks later...
firefly...........are you over 55? I keep seeing you on the other boards! We are going on Carnival for the first time this November. We love RCCL, but the prices are so much better on Carnival that we have to try them.

Im 56, so yep, Im officially a senior, even though I dont feel like one. I consider my parents seniors lol.

Im doing a bit of every cruiseline to be honest.

I have been a diehard RCCL cruiser since becoming addicted in 2000. I am tempted to try Carnival, but am unsure as to what line would give me the best bang for my buck at almost 61 years of age. I frequently travel solo as well as my husband, only 1 year older, is a couch potato and would rather cruise the t.v. channels than our beautiful oceans. Any advice?:)

My wife and I are both approaching 65. We choose to cruise on Carnival because we get the most bang for the buck. We can participate in as many or as few activities as we want. We see the shows we want. We don't find the line is catering to anyone except us.:D Yes, we are pleased with Carnival, both for the lower prices and for the activities available to us.

Doc

• 4 weeks later...
I don't see much activity on this site for those 55+. I am a loyal Carnival Cruiser and was wondering if there were any others out there?

We had so much fun on the Triumph New Years cruise we booked again for this New Year and the week after - back to back two weeks!:)

There are three of us - and if any of you were on that cruise you would probably remember us - they called us the Golden Girls!:eek:

Hope to hear from those who enjoy Carnival as much as we do!

Kathy, What does FOC & BFO mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't qualify for 55+ yet, but my DH does, I have a few years to go! We love Carnival! You can't beat the value for your dollar. When I'm not cruising with my DH, I'm cruising with my sisters and my mom who also qualifies us for those senior rates! Cruising on the Legend on 9/16, watching Felix to see if Belize will get hit, already lost Costa Maya. I feel so sorry for those people. Hope to hear from my contact at cavetubing.com after Felix goes through to see if they are ok. I have never had a bad cruise or bad cruise experience on any Carnival cruise and highly recommend Carnival to anyone contemplating a cruise. We are going again in December for my sister's birthday. The Inspiration out of Tampa is a good itinerary and is easy for us, my mom and sisters all live in Tampa. I come down from Atlanta and we go!

Will check back from time to time to read more posts here. Look forward to reading about your experiences!

Samiam:D

My husband and I will be traveling on the Carnival Freedom, May 22,2008.

I turn 60 this month and don't mind being a senior as long as I can get the senior discounts.:)

We haven't tried any senior rate cruises. I will retire this year so I will have more time to travel and look for bargains.

My husband and I will be traveling on the Carnival Freedom, May 22,2008.

I turn 60 this month and don't mind being a senior as long as I can get the senior discounts.:)

Congratulations! That 60-year mark is a major milestone, but it brings a bunch of perks along with it, so enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I just found this web site and the 55+ forum

We are in our 60's & would like to do a senior curise.

this past Sept 2-9 we were on the RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

the kids on board were rude, loud, and terrieble manners.

How can the ship let them run amuck.

Let us know if there is a cruise planned in the near future.

We are interested in HAL or Carnival.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone; today is my first day on this board, I'm so glad I found it.

I too love, love, love Carninval....especially for their committment to military families both active duty and retired. My husband is a retired USAFR Colonel and the discounts offered, with Carnival, are unbeatable. In my opinion it is very important to patronize those companies who look after those who help make everyone's life more secure. Not only that, we can go on three Carnival cruises (balcony cabin) for the price of one Celebrity or two RCCL cruises.....and sometimes we are able to use Cat 11 or 12 rather than a balcony cabin. What's not to love? Actually a magazine, Porthole as I recall, did an article comparing a Cat 11 or 12 to a Celebrity balcony cabin cruise. They found the only difference was that Carnival didn't offer "hot" food on the room service menu....other than that, they felt the service was better, the room larger and the on board activities more diverse....oh and they had to purchase their own wine...and that they fully intended to start spending more of their cruise dollars with Carnival.

I have never been impressed with Princess (yes, I know they are owned by the Carival Corp) or NCL. RCCL was ok, I must say I do like their inside cabins which overlook the shops, but I don't feel their food comes close and the cabins are much smaller....or at least seem that way. I haven't been on HAL. We loved doing a Barefoot Cruise but that is really not more than an occassional thing for us. The "Big Red Boat" was a fun cruise, it introduced me to paradise on earth aka The Abaco Islands....how I love the Abacos. Our other cruises were in Europe, The Danish Lines, Hellanic and MSC lines were all good but much different than what we expect from a cruise line.

In any case, hello everyone....I'm Susan and my husband is Jim, we are 56 and 52 respectively (I'm a cradle robber), I am officially disabled due to some very major spinal surgery a couple of years ago, Jim is a nuclear engineer and he will be completely retired in seven and a half years. We own six timeshares so we do spend our time visiting resorts, as well as cruising, we also use our camper....however since Jim, currently, has only six weeks of vacation time we do what we can. In seven and a half years however.....watch out world we're coming!

We hope the "MAC" flights will still be available but if not, oh well....it is what it is...however we will travel from November thru' March....hehehehehehehehe!:D

Suse, I want to cruise with you....You have a wonderful attitude and I will be the first one to get out of your way, in 7 years......."You cradle robber you"!!!!!

I am always a bit "trepadacious" when I book a Carnival cruise.....I never know what to expect......but, I'm so willing to give them another chance just because of their willingness to please......We had a bad experience on the Elation, this past May and the Hotel Manager gave us a wonderful deal on our next Carnival Cruise, which we booked for this coming January, on the Pride.

You're so right, girl......they sure make it affordable.......:p

We've done HAL/Princess/NCL/Celebrity/RCCL and Carnival, in the past two years....I just can't get enough.....Until I'm "Cruised Out", I'm going to keep going......

Hopefully, we'll see you onboard, one day! :)

Hi Roz, nice to meet you. We're not going to be able to cruise until next year, when we are taking our family on a New Year's Eve cruise...those who can come. Our two sons are still doing post graduate work, one is in law school and the other is working on his PhD in communications, so their lives are still in flux. We would love for all of our kids and grandchildren to be able to join us but that never seems to work out.

We love cruising, my choice is generally anywhere warm although we will do an Alaskan cruise in the not too distant future. We had planned on doing an Alaskan cruise last summer however my back isn't quite ready for that....since I know that I will want to play and just can't do so yet.

I know that we should try other lines but Carnival has just been so good to us that it's difficult for me to change. Our PVP is a wonderful man, he knows all of our children by name...we put him on speaker phone when they're here so that we can plan together. When I call him, he knows my voice immediately....and if I have nothing planned he'll call just to check on my health. I managed to find a gem.

As far as my attitude is concerned, it is what it is. I am disabled, I am in chronic pain, I know that I have more surgery in my future BUT I do not have a terminal illness, I have a wonderful husband and family, and life is good. So, what's not to be happy about? I can always take more pain meds, but what can a small child with cancer do? I am blessed. ;)

I'm glad they established this section, I think I'm going to like it here!

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. Been on the site since I booked my first cruise, which is the Dec.8 eastern sailing on the Liberty.:) Also going it solo....... Lots of questions, but mainly, I'm wondering if there are many solo cruisers in the over 50 range. Doesn't seem as if there are. Just wondering how representative this thread is to the types of people that travel. Seems like mostly(if not all) couples. I'm on the roll call site for the 8th & I'm getting a bit apprehensive as to the cruise make-up. Any comments would be welcome,

Thanks,

Bill

Just found this thread. Been on the site since I booked my first cruise, which is the Dec.8 eastern sailing on the Liberty.:) Also going it solo....... Lots of questions, but mainly, I'm wondering if there are many solo cruisers in the over 50 range. Doesn't seem as if there are. Just wondering how representative this thread is to the types of people that travel. Seems like mostly(if not all) couples. I'm on the roll call site for the 8th & I'm getting a bit apprehensive as to the cruise make-up. Any comments would be welcome,

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm a solo cruiser as well, and yes there are quite a few of us. I'm leaving 1 Dec along with 300 + singles over 40, then have another scheduled in Feb with 40 + singles. We're always looking for more who wish to join in, single room mate matching is also available if yo wish which saves the dreaded single supplement. If you wish more info please Email me

Just found this thread. Been on the site since I booked my first cruise, which is the Dec.8 eastern sailing on the Liberty.:) Also going it solo....... Lots of questions, but mainly, I'm wondering if there are many solo cruisers in the over 50 range. Doesn't seem as if there are. Just wondering how representative this thread is to the types of people that travel. Seems like mostly(if not all) couples. Thanks,

Bill

Bill, there are more of us out here than you think!;) Be sure to check in with the Solo Cruisers forum. There are a lot of us over there too, and many experienced solo cruisers who have some great advice to share!:)

Deb

Hi Guys I'm Mary49 and I'm a 55+ cruiser also. I have done so far 3 Carnival. I also travel solo. I didn't think I could do it. But I love it. Have also done Holland America to Alaska and a Norweign cruise on the Dawn. But I love the carnival cruises for their entertainment at night. Lots of choices. I'm also a big, big fan of Music Boardwalk. I love those guys.

Archived