Carnival 55+

kathy32259

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just found this thread as I am trying to decide on taking a cruise with Carnival. We are retired and are both 64, English but live in Spain. Previously cruised with RCL and HAL. We prefered HAL as there were more people in our age group. RCL were a fairly young crowd and we seemed to be one of the oldest on board.

The Carnival cruise we are looking at is in Feb. and it calls at 2 ports we haven't visited.....so what do you guys think? Everyone seems to say it is ok. for our age group, just can't decide:confused: :)

Hi everyone, just found this thread as I am trying to decide on taking a cruise with Carnival. We are retired and are both 64, English but live in Spain. Previously cruised with RCL and HAL. We prefered HAL as there were more people in our age group. RCL were a fairly young crowd and we seemed to be one of the oldest on board.

The Carnival cruise we are looking at is in Feb. and it calls at 2 ports we haven't visited.....so what do you guys think? Everyone seems to say it is ok. for our age group, just can't decide:confused: :)

If you feel more comfortable on HAL I would not go with Carnival but that is a choice only you can make. There are other cruise lines that have more mature crowd.

Read the review on Carnival then decide if it is something you would like.

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Hi Bill,

I'm a solo cruiser as well, and yes there are quite a few of us. I'm leaving 1 Dec along with 300 + singles over 40, then have another scheduled in Feb with 40 + singles. We're always looking for more who wish to join in, single room mate matching is also available if yo wish which saves the dreaded single supplement. If you wish more info please Email me

Please report back on this cruise. I tried to get it on it but it was sold out by the time I decided. I have now booked a 21 day South America cruise over the Christmas and New Years holidays, on Princess though. I am 55+ and am going solo. I am new to cruising (only 1 other) and this will be my first solo. So far I have managed to meet quite a few other solos on my cruise via these boards, which is encouraging. I will report back too. I think there is hope for all of us! C

Moniquet, I think it depends on how long your cruise is. With Carnival, as perhaps with other lines, the longer the cruise, the older and more sedate the passengers. They run a lot of shorter cruises, 3,4,5 nights...the 3 & 4 are really party cruises. I found the 4 day was not for me, but had a great time on the five day. Since you would be flying from Spain (I don't think Carnival will still have a ship in the Med. in Feb.) I am assuming it will be a longer cruise...There shouldn't be a lot of children aboard at that time, although in April when I did five days twice, there were a lot of children but I never saw them. EM

Hello all the 55+ cruises...

We are planning a cruise for 2008.

Which of the Carnival ships are better for us seniors?

We have been on many lines and like Carnival the best.

Best prices, friendly staff and lots to do.

Not a lot of kids during the year, except during spring break, or holidays.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

I like this board to. :)

If you find the RCL passengers too young, you will probably feel the same about Carnival passengers. In fact, I'd say that Carnival may be even a bit younger.

We're also in our 60's (well, actually, DH is starting on his 70's) and prefer HAL but have sailed on many other lines, inlcuding both RCL and Carnival, and have enjoyed them, because the price or itinerary was right, or we were sailing with a group.

What I'm saying is that, yes, there will certainly be more younger cruisers on Carnival than you had on HAL, but it's a personal preference as to whether that will interfere with your cruise enjoyment.

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. We have decided on Carnival after all! Good price and two ports we haven't visited before. cruising 20th Jan. Just 7 days and then a week in Florida, probably Naples...can't wait. We are young at heart anyway

• 1 month later...

I am also 55+ and have been on the following ships: NCL Norway (1983), NCL Starward (1984), Bermuda Star (1985), NCL Seaward (1989), RCCL Monarch of the Seas (1987) and the Carnival Inspiration (2003). I would like to take another cruise in the next year or so, but haven't decided yet where to go and which ship to pick. Can someone give me an idea of the ships which tend to have more 40+ passengers. I am not a "Party Animal", but tend to drink more in that one week than the whole year. My favorite drink is the Yellow Bird. I prefer somewhere warm and my favorite island is Grand Cayman. My ultimate cruise would be the one that goes to Monte Carlo and the French Riviera. I was in London and Paris this past summer with a friend who lives in London. Now I can't wait to go back to Europe. That was my first trip "across the Pond."

Hi,

with more and more seniors cruising the longer the cruise you will find more seniors.

Do not go on any of the short Carnival or Disney ships 3,4,5 days.

They tend to be more college and family.

A trans-Atlantic cruise would be good too,10 or more days.

We are going on a river cruise in Europe this spring. Holland & Belgiem.

hope you can find what you are loooking for

Sea Trekker :cool:

Hi all,

I'm certainly past 55 and will be taking my very first cruise this February. It's too late to take your advice, Sea Trekker, cuz this cruise is only for 4 days. However, I'm going with DD and her BF. He's treating us to this cruise!!!

My question - after reading the other comments in this thread - is: am I able to get a senior discount through Carnival? Since my cruise is already paid for, would it be reasonable to call the gal at Carnival and ask about it?

Thanks very much in advance for your help with this.

Desert: Have a wonderful cruise...and, best of all somone else paid for it!

Good luck on getting that discount now! Let us know if you get one...I would be very surprised if you do!

Don't let anyone talk you out of cruising anytime or any length! You'll have a wonderful time....It's all up to you!

It may be a bit noisier or seem a bit rushed, at times....take your time, enjoy and savor every moment! :) It's the best kind of vacation! In my opinion!

Hi all,

I'm certainly past 55 and will be taking my very first cruise this February. It's too late to take your advice, Sea Trekker, cuz this cruise is only for 4 days. However, I'm going with DD and her BF. He's treating us to this cruise!!!

My question - after reading the other comments in this thread - is: am I able to get a senior discount through Carnival? Since my cruise is already paid for, would it be reasonable to call the gal at Carnival and ask about it?

Thanks very much in advance for your help with this.

There are some sites to check to see if a senior discount is even offered, its not offered on all carnival cruises, only on the ones not selling well.

Yes, its not too late to get it applied if there is one. Also, these discounts usually dont show up until near sailing more often than not, so this is the perfect time to be checking and if you see it, then you can call up and ask for it. I think you need to check yourself, I wouldnt call up every day asking if its there, they can have up to 3 price changes a day. I saw one on Ecstasy one Friday night and by the next day it was gone, and its gone up up up since that one night they had that super price of $299 for a outside cabin. Sure wish I could have grabbed it.

Archived