Live from the Grandeur by a Newbie to RSSC

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

taxman1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

The final zip on the last suitcase has been secured and all bags loaded into the car.  My wife and I will be boarding the Grandeur tomorrow for her next leg to the Southern Caribbean.  We fully anticipate being spoiled on the first two days as we make our way to the first shopping port,  Aruba.  

As this will be our rookie sailing with Regent I will be sharing our thoughts and photos along the way.  Dry January has wrapped up but continuing to wait until we get onboard before savoring that 1st adult beverage.  As we made our fight weight before the big voyage we will need to hydrate in the coming days.  

Looking forward to a beautiful journey and hope some of you will join along.  

Next update tomorrow!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Following along. I think I'll enjoy your humour as much as your Granduer review! We too will have our first Regent experience on Granduer but not until 2026. She'll be a Grand Dame by then😉

We will be new to Regent and Grandeur in March 2025 so looking forward to reading all about your experience. I hope you have an amazing journey and enjoy "hydrating" on the beautiful ship!

Our first stop is also Aruba! Hope you post what you do in each port.

Bon voyage and thanks so much for taking us along!

Edited by Amber14

First time for us tomorrow - first time in Regent and first time ever on a cruise  ( we are from UK) …not at all sure what to expect but we’re having champagne in our hotel now to prepare ourselves 🥂… cheers 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, taxman1 said:

Dry January has wrapped up but continuing to wait until we get onboard before savoring that 1st adult beverage.  As we made our fight weight before the big voyage we will need to hydrate in the coming days.  

I did a Dry January 5th.  

Anyway, Dry January is over, and now we're in Dry Martini February! 😂

I look forward to following along on your adventures. We loved our December sailing. The weather was awful for almost the whole week, but we didn't care because we enjoyed the ship so much.

• Haha 6

Enjoy!  I’ll be back onboard next month and can’t wait. 

You are going to love the ship.  She is just stunning top to bottom.  I’ve sailed on almost 150 cruises on numerous ships and lines, and honestly GRANDEUR might be the most beautiful of them all.  She is an eye-turner.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

We board on the 27th! Can't wait to read your reports--most especially I think--news from you and others you talk to regarding the cabin-to-cabin noise levels. 🙀 Seems to be about the only "flaw" so far....

We were on Grandeur in Jan. for the Panama Canal.  Yes we heard our neighbors but only a couple of times, and only on the side where the couch is.  I was sitting on the couch both times and I think our neighbor was too while talking to his wife.  On the tv side of the cabin, our friends were in there, neither of us heard each other or the tv.  So I think the noise report may be a bit over exaggerated, or maybe it was just that when I took my hearing aids out the noise seemed to stop. 😜

Anyway, it's real, for sure, but in our case (we were in 811) just not a big deal at all. 

Enjoy the beautiful Grandeur and have a wonderful cruise. 😎

Well, we made it onboard.  The NASCAR Track (as I fondly call I75) was particularly perilous this morning with 4 separate crashes to maneuver around.  A 3.5 hour journey became a  4:45 expedition with multiple reroutes.  Serenity Now Serenity Now. The Uber was right ontime at the condo where we parked the car.  We arrived at the pier at 12:20 and were sitting down for lunch at the pool grill around 12:40.  They are smart to have you immediately report and check in at your muster station as soon as you board.  Lunch was great - Ahi tuna steaks for both of us with no bun.  The lobster tacos hit the spot!  Suites are still in process so waiting for the all clear.  No complaints.  Our current view from the pool grill table.  

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2661.jpeg

• Like 11

We have been on board less than 1.5 hours … doing a tour of every deck .. we have already had lunch inn2 different locations . Then coffee in coffee connection and we’ve barely scratched the surface 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All unpacked!   The cabin has plenty of drawer and hanging space for us two clothes horses.  The storage space was well thought out during the design phase for this ship.  Very well done.  The bathroom has both shelf and drawer space.  Now for the elephant in the room - yes we can hear our neighbors on both sides.  No you cannot hear word for word a conversation but you hear someone talking, laughing or having the standard unpacking “discussion”.  We are on the tenth floor.  

Prime 7 tonight!   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eroller said:

Enjoy!  I’ll be back onboard next month and can’t wait. 

You are going to love the ship.  She is just stunning top to bottom.  I’ve sailed on almost 150 cruises on numerous ships and lines, and honestly GRANDEUR might be the most beautiful of them all.  She is an eye-turner.  

What are the big differences between Grandeur, Splendor, and Explorer?

49 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

What are the big differences between Grandeur, Splendor, and Explorer?

The footprint is the same for each, so rest assured they are all wonderful ships.  I have yet to sail on SPLENDOR but I have sailed on EXPLORER and GRANDEUR.  The differences are rather subtle, mainly with decor. GRANDEUR is a bit lighter in decor which I prefer, but somehow the entire ship just felt elevated to me.  This is saying a lot because EXPLORER is quite elevated to begin with.  

The most striking difference is the MDR, the Compass Rose.  On GRANDEUR it’s an architectural delight.  You feel as though you are dining in an enchanted forest.  It’s the most beautiful and interesting MDR of any ship I’ve sailed.  

Structurally there were some modifications with SPLENDOR and GRANDEUR compared with EXPLORER.  The pool deck and La Veranda were enlarged as the deck on the latter ships jets out over the superstructure in various areas creating more space.  Also the observation lounge is enlarged as it goes completely over the Bridge Wings which is not the case on EXPLORER.  The layout of public rooms was modified as well in regards to reception and Coffee Connection/Meridian Lounge.  It was all reversed for better flow.  

Anyway overall the modifications are generally minor, but it was enough with GRANDEUR that I took notice and she became my new favorite.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eroller said:

The footprint is the same for each, so rest assured they are all wonderful ships.  I have yet to sail on SPLENDOR but I have sailed on EXPLORER and GRANDEUR.  The differences are rather subtle, mainly with decor. GRANDEUR is a bit lighter in decor which I prefer, but somehow the entire ship just felt elevated to me.  This is saying a lot because EXPLORER is quite elevated to begin with.  

The most striking difference is the MDR, the Compass Rose.  On GRANDEUR it’s an architectural delight.  You feel as though you are dining in an enchanted forest.  It’s the most beautiful and interesting MDR of any ship I’ve sailed.  

Structurally there were some modifications with SPLENDOR and GRANDEUR compared with EXPLORER.  The pool deck and La Veranda were enlarged as the deck on the latter ships jets out over the superstructure in various areas creating more space.  Also the observation lounge is enlarged as it goes completely over the Bridge Wings which is not the case on EXPLORER.  The layout of public rooms was modified as well in regards to reception and Coffee Connection/Meridian Lounge.  It was all reversed for better flow.  

Anyway overall the modifications are generally minor, but it was enough with GRANDEUR that I took notice and she became my new favorite.  

I believe there's also a rather significant difference between the Constellation Theatre on Explorer and the theatres on Splendor/Grandeur.  Sightlines and support structures blocking many stage views in the Constellation Theatre on Explorer.  This was corrected on the next two ships...Splendor and Grandeur.

Edited by pingpong1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

I believe there's also a rather significant difference between the Constellation Theatre on Explorer and the theatres on Splendor/Grandeur.  Sightlines and support structures blocking many stage views in the Constellation Theatre on Explorer.  This was corrected on the next two ships...Splendor and Grandeur.

Yes great observation. 

There are also changes to the aft deck with the spa pools.  EXPLORER has one larger pool and it's an infinity edge pool which is kind of cool. The GRANDEUR has three smaller spa pools and they are not infinity edge.  There are pros and cons to both, but overall I think the aft spa deck looks better on GRANDEUR.  Again just a bit elevated feeling.   I do really like that infinity edge pool on EXPLORER though. 

EXPLORER first pic and GRANDEUR second pic. 

IMG_7567.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And for those curious about the Compass Rose differences between EXPLORER and GRANDEUR here you go.  Both are stunning spaces, but the design for GRANDEUR is next level.  The designers here outdid themselves. 

First pic EXPLORER and second pic GRANDEUR. 

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7743.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Constellation Theater differences. 

First pic EXPLORER and second pic GRANDEUR. 

IMG_7854.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg

• Like 2