Rome/Ravenna - Airport to Port and vice versa

studentcruiser23

Hi, 

sorry if this has been asked before, I can't seem to find anything on this though. I am looking at booking the 11 night sailing from Rome to Ravenna in July however I am being put off by the fact that it does not seem that simple to get from Rome airport to the port and then from Ravenna port to Venice airport. Anyone who has done this before, how easy was this to do and what would you advise?

Thanks 🙂 

We are doing the cruise in June.

We have booked a pickup from FCO to Civitavecchia (hotel for a couple of days pre cruise)

but I think you can travel by train as well.

Ditto a pickup Ravenna to BLQ. I'm not sure if train is available.

Both pickups booked via our TA.

26 minutes ago, ChilledGecko said:

We are doing the cruise in June.

We have booked a pickup from FCO to Civitavecchia (hotel for a couple of days pre cruise)

but I think you can travel by train as well.

Ditto a pickup Ravenna to BLQ. I'm not sure if train is available.

Both pickups booked via our TA.

Thank you - I'll have a look at booking either a transfer independently or just doing the booking through a TA.

We're doing a reverse. And having been in and out  of Marco Polo a bunch, we are going to save on the drive (only an hour vs and hour and a half) and the hectic traffic and craziness and use the airport in Bologna. It's literally the same price, on the same days and same times. We'll spend a day or two there. Then a car/van/train to Ravenna port.

On the back end, also have done Civitavecchia-FCO a bunch. Take a car service of whatever sort from FCO: a transfer, a rental, an Uber... That train from Termini is a schlep unless you only have a carryon; ok when we were young and strong but now, nah. Plus the logistics of: getting to the station (yes next to the airport, but still), getting tix, getting on, off, and to the ship all eat up a whole day, where it's really only a 30-minute ride or so.

We stay in a hotel the night before (that Rome Marriott Park is good, cheap, nice rooms, great pool, if you're not trying to go INTO the city too) and then wrangle a ride the next day. Shared a van from there with some folks on our roll call last time, worked out great and very inexpensive. (So also, check out your roll call and see what other folks are doing.)

Edited by sofietucker

Thank you all for the suggestions - we would be going the day before so I’ll have a look at transfers as well as the hotel suggested and look at the roll call. It isn’t a definite yet that we will do the cruise as for some reason there are no direct flights from our closest airport which doesn’t quite make sense but that’s research for another day 😂 at least I know for now that the transferring to port will be easy enough.

We have never had any issues taking the train from Termini station in Rome to Civitavecchia many times. We take the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini, overnight in a hotel close to the train station, take the first train in the morning from Rome to Civitavecchia.  By doing it this way, you are ahead of the rush of people coming in from the airport trying to do the same.  We always have 2 large suitcases with carry on and never have a problem finding a place for our luggage beside us. 

Tickets are easy to purchase at the machine.  You can select the machine to English instead of Italian. It is a minimal cost to do it this way.  A little tip, make sure your luggage is in front of you while at the machine so no-one walks away with it and keep your belonging close to you. There is a shuttle bus right at Civitavecchia train station that will take you through the port gates and right to the ship for 6 euro per person.  

But I must admit, going from Civitavecchia to Termini can be a bit of a challenge merely because of the volume of people getting off ships and trying to do the same.  We have done it and have found the trick is to get off super early to get the first train. The shuttle bus will be there to take you directly from the ship to the train station for the 6 euro per person.  This only works if you have an afternoon flight or later because you will still have to transfer from Termini to the Leonardo Express to get to the airport.  If your flight is early, you would be better booking a ship transfer or other. 

It all depends how adventurous you are.  We are neither young nor old lol - in our mid 50's and have never had a problem doing this. 

You can book the Celebrity transfer to get to the ship from Rome city centre or you could book a shared or private transfer.

Or you could use the train which is easy particularly if you stay at a hotel which is walking distance of Termini train station in Rome.

As you are arriving on the day prior to the cruise you can get the Leonardo Express directly from the airport to Termini train station in Rome (cost €14.00 each in 2022).

The train from Termini to Civitavecchia is easy and inexpensive (cost €4.60 each in 2022). Then get the shuttle from Civitavecchia train station directly to the ship (costs €6.00 this year). That is what I always do when embarking in Civitavecchia. 

After the cruise getting the train from Ravenna to Venice airport is more complicated in that to get the train to get to Venice you need to get from the dock to Ravenna train station. Celebrity runs a shuttle at a cost from the ship to Ravenna train station. There are very few taxis in Ravenna. You can then get the train to Venice but you will need to change trains along the way. You would then need to get from the train station to the airport. You could get the Celebrity transfer to Bologna train station and then get a train directly to Venice. Getting the train from Ravenna to Venice airport would be very dependent on the time of your flight and how willing you are to have multiple changes of transport. Another option is to book a shared or private transfer.

Personally if I was flying out from Venice on disembarkation day I would use the Celebrity transfer from the ship to Venice airport which though more expensive is much more convenient and easier.

Edited by PurpleTraveller