Lost Luggage tip

As I pack I lay all my stuff on my bed and take photos. This way if my luggage is lost I have the records plus if I can’t remember if I packed something specific I can always check my photos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrsd2fan said:

Keep a list of what is in each bag you drop off and take photos. RC did right by us, but the process would have been easier had we done wht I said.

Did RC loose your luggage? Before cruise? any idea wht happened?

2 hours ago, sunlover2 said:

Did RC loose your luggage? Before cruise? any idea wht happened?

yes, before cruise..no idea what happened, but it was still a great cruise

I plan on standing there and watching the porters load our luggage onto the thingy for that reason.   

But it is extremely difficult to remember what you packed.   I'd had my luggage stolen once and it was extremely difficult to remember.   It also took me a while for my wardrobe to recover.   You take your favorite things on vacation and many pieces of clothing weren't really replaceable.  

• Like 1

We use Apple Air Tags but even so DW's hanging bag was showing on the pier until sailaway. Cabin steward dropped it off around 4:30.  DW did not attach a luggage tag on the handle or via the hanging clear luggage tag holders we use.  Rather she just stuck it into the bag's slot for ID. Someone, porter or ship found it and placed a sticker on it with cabin number.  So also be sure your ship luggage tag is visible.

18 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I plan on standing there and watching the porters load our luggage onto the thingy for that reason.   

But it is extremely difficult to remember what you packed.   I'd had my luggage stolen once and it was extremely difficult to remember.   It also took me a while for my wardrobe to recover.   You take your favorite things on vacation and many pieces of clothing weren't really replaceable.  

It was all my shoes and all my toiletries

• Like 1

Just now, HappyTexan44 said:

Ouch.  Toiletries are easily replaceable, although not on the cruise.   Shoes, that would be hard, and expensive.    

they gave us 60 dollar credit to use in the vending machines and 300 credit for the rest

5 hours ago, mrsd2fan said:

Keep a list of what is in each bag you drop off and take photos. RC did right by us, but the process would have been easier had we done wht I said.

Yes, as we exit the car, I always take a picture of two things: 

- The suitcase(s) 

- The closest numbered sign ... so we'll be sure to remember our parking place 

3 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

As I pack I lay all my stuff on my bed and take photos. This way if my luggage is lost I have the records plus if I can’t remember if I packed something specific I can always check my photos.

That is a really good idea and not something I've been doing.  

36 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I always do that.  I stand there until I see that my bag is placed on one of the trolleys.  It'd be unusual for it to go on a trolly and not make it onto the ship.  

29 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

So also be sure your ship luggage tag is visible.

I give every bag two tags.  My bags have never lost a tag, but I figure it's cheap insurance!  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, as we exit the car, I always take a picture of two things: 

- The suitcase(s) 

- The closest numbered sign ... so we'll be sure to remember our parking place 

That is a really good idea and not something I've been doing.  

I always do that.  I stand there until I see that my bag is placed on one of the trolleys.  It'd be unusual for it to go on a trolly and not make it onto the ship.  

I give every bag two tags.  My bags have never lost a tag, but I figure it's cheap insurance!  

Only started doing it after my luggage got lost.

I also always have identifiable mark inside the top of my bag. My usual is a business card and whether it’s me or my office helper they get a hold of they will have my name and can contact for a stateroom number.

It is amazing that they can loose it from the porter stand at the curb to the ship. That area should be empty of everything but equipment as there is not another ship.

I put a sheet of paper inside the outside zippered flap of the luggage with my name and cell #.

This is a back up to the luggage tag on the bag.

And i have an apple air tag too.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:25 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Only started doing it after my luggage got lost.

A friend who travels for work almost constantly turned me onto this and even before I fly I do it.  With the convenience of a smartphone it's too easy.  And if something does happen to your luggage, there are few joys in life like showing the photo to the person asking what it looked like (and that person really liked that I'd planned ahead and tried to make her job easier). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

I've had someone take my luggage by mistake after purchasing the wierdest pattern of luggage. Luckily I caught them before exiting terminal. Walk my luggage off now.

I think there is something to, "My luggage is weird.   This looks like my luggage.   Therefore this is my luggage."    
Back when I was a road warrior. I once saw luggage just like my weird luggage.   I'd never seen a duplicate of mine.   I'd had just grabbed it and in my defense I was checking the tag.   Simultaneously, I saw that the tag wasn't mine and a young soldier in uniform ran up acting like I was stealing his luggage.   But until I saw the tag, I really had thought it was mine.  

I recently bought a bag of random ribbon at Goodwill.  I set aside some "It's a Boy" ribbon to tie around our luggage handles.   That should truly be unique!

We have two ways to keep track of luggage.  First there is an AirTag in each piece of checked luggage, this way we can track where it is.  Second we have bright orange rubber tags with our last name initial on it attached to the handle.  Very easy to identify.