New internet levels. Surf, Premium and $tream

1 minute ago, IslandBob123 said:

I'm still not clear- can just one person out of two in the cabin purchase WiFi, or is it like the drink package where both must buy?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Only one person needs to buy.  Others can use the same connection but not at the same time.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@IslandBob123 -- if you think that both of you will need to use the internet at the same time you can buy the multi-device plan for a single user.  That allows up to four devices logged into a single navigator account.  It is cheaper to do the multi-device for one person instead of getting two separate packages.  And if you got your internet plan through HIA, and have the basic lowest level and find that you need a higher level, you do not need to upgrade both.  Last cruise hubs upgraded to premium because he needed it and I kept at the basic (we were on a HIA plan and it was before the most recent change in the plan structure).  For our upcoming cruise we do not have HIA and instead purchased a plan under one account that will be multi-device.  Yes it means one of us has to log in under the other account name.  Not much of an issue as we share logins on other things as well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IslandBob123 said:

Thanks, I'm going to do the multi device stream service since I need to be able to make wifi calls.

Just for clarification.  Wifi calls are included in the Premium Plan with the Stream Plan only adding access to streaming video services.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Do you known how much it has been to upgrade to Premium from the Surf plan? I have the Surf plan as part of my HIA.

I have a copy of the surf plan rates for 1-100+ days.  From 1-6 days, the difference is $2.  For the following days 7-20, rates differ randomly from $2-$13.  For days 21-25, rates differ from Premium by $12. Days 26-31 differ by $12.  Days 32-41 differ by $1 with days 42-31 being the same rate.

What each ship charges for upgrading MAY follow the above.  There may also be just a standard rate.  I don't know but I will try to find the answer.

A quicker answer may be found by posting this question on individual live threads to see a pattern.

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I have a copy of the surf plan rates for 1-100+ days.  From 1-6 days, the difference is $2.  For the following days 7-20, rates differ randomly from $2-$13.  For days 21-25, rates differ from Premium by $12. Days 26-31 differ by $12.  Days 32-41 differ by $1 with days 42-31 being the same rate.

What each ship charges for upgrading MAY follow the above.  There may also be just a standard rate.  I don't know but I will try to find the answer.

A quicker answer may be found by posting this question on individual live threads to see a pattern.

I was just curious and don't mean for you to do any research. It looks the amount is minimal in any case.

15 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I was just curious and don't mean for you to do any research. It looks the amount is minimal in any case.

The amount may be minimal in comparison but each ship may just have an arbitrary number to charge.  FWIW the Premium Plan and Surf Plans are the same cost for 42-51 days but the Premium Plan is cheaper than the Surf Plan for cruises longer than 52 days.  Refund to update the latter??

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 4:45 PM, Crew News said:

The amount may be minimal in comparison but each ship may just have an arbitrary number to charge.  FWIW the Premium Plan and Surf Plans are the same cost for 42-51 days but the Premium Plan is cheaper than the Surf Plan for cruises longer than 52 days.  Refund to update the latter??

After consulting HAL Ship Services, I have created a table that shows the cost (once you board the ship) to upgrade the HIA Package Surf Plan to either the Premium or Stream Plan:  HIA Update to Premium or Stream Plans

It will be interesting to see if individual ships have update charges that match this table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

After consulting HAL Ship Services, I have created a table that shows the cost (once you board the ship) to upgrade the HIA Package Surf Plan to either the Premium or Stream Plan:  HIA Update to Premium or Stream Plans

It will be interesting to see if individual ships have update charges that match this table.

That is a great table to have.  Thank you!

May I make a small suggestion for your next update?   In the 'Stream Plan Cost' panels, it would be more correct to label the differences as "Cost to upgrade from HIA Surf" as some HIA promos do include Premium Plan internet.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:45 PM, Crew News said:

This is great! Thank you!

On 2/27/2024 at 1:29 PM, Crew News said:

For planning purposes, here is a table of internet prices for both the Premium and Stream plans:  Internet Prices 2024

Thanks , Roger.  It seems like purchasing ahead of time is a good idea.  Do you know how they sort out the 5-star discount?

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks , Roger.  It seems like purchasing ahead of time is a good idea.  Do you know how they sort out the 5-star discount?

The 5* discount only applies to onboard purchases of internet service and is not applicable to upgrades from HIA Surf Plans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reagan0712 said:

Has anyone tried streaming Netflix or Apple TV from the Premium plan?

I have Premium included with HIA next month on my trans-Atlantic.

Since the streaming plan specifically adds streaming services Netflix and Apple TV, I am almost certain that all streaming services would be blocked by the ship for those on the Premium Plan.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Since the streaming plan specifically adds streaming services Netflix and Apple TV, I am almost certain that all streaming services would be blocked by the ship for those on the Premium Plan.

What about fairly short (10 minute) YouTube videos? Not exactly streaming, and I think some posts indicated that might work.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

What about fairly short (10 minute) YouTube videos? Not exactly streaming, and I think some posts indicated that might work.

This would be a good question to post on a current live thread.  If no answer, I will report next month with my Premium Plan.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

We recently were able to stream YouTube videos on premium service on Eurodam. This was a couple of weeks ago and might have changed since then but it was after HAL announced the streaming service level. 

On 2/26/2024 at 9:16 PM, Shalandara said:

So a usage cap without calling it a usage cap?

No. It's throttling. The faucet still runs, only not as fast. With a cap, the faucet turns off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Reagan0712 said:

Has anyone tried streaming Netflix or Apple TV from the Premium plan?

I have Premium included with HIA next month on my trans-Atlantic.

Can you download content ahead of time? I downloaded things to watch from Amazon Prime before our last cruise so I wouldn't have to worry about streaming. We had premium in December. Ultimately, we didn't watch any of it because we had plenty to do.

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

Can you download content ahead of time? I downloaded things to watch from Amazon Prime before our last cruise so I wouldn't have to worry about streaming. We had premium in December. Ultimately, we didn't watch any of it because we had plenty to do.

I can download from Prime and Netflix, and have before, but not sure about Apple TV. I like to relax in bed before I go to sleep and the stuff HAL offers is awful. I’m also hoping that the VPN that was recommended to me works and I can use the TCM app which is my first preference.

19 hours ago, Crew News said:

This would be a good question to post on a current live thread.  If no answer, I will report next month with my Premium Plan.

Thanks. I’ll check a live thread. I’m sailing April 7th.