Car rental question and parking (overnight) at cruise terminal?

Sim1979

Our cruise will be staying overnight in Reykjavik (on May 5-6), so i was planning on renting a car to explore a little.

Is there any parking near the cruise terminal where i could leave the car overnight while we're back in the ship for the night?

Anyone had experience with car rental, there don't seems to be that many options opened on sunday (our cruise arrive on Sunday and leave on Monday), Avis downtown seems to be opened on Sunday but closes at 2PM (and the ship docks at 2PM exactly, so i don't think i will make it...)

Thanks

There are two cruise terminals, but yes, there are public parking lots near both of them.

Blue car rental company is the one most recommended over at TripAdvisor, and they do have an in town location

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0?ui=2&ik=832948d535&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Customer service 

+354-552-1700   

booking@mycar.is 

Vatnagarðar 12, 105 Reykjavík 

www.mycar.is 

We are renting from MyCar - 2 nights minimum required, but we can return the car earlier (i.e. an overnight stay only) without penalty but will be charged for 2 nights.  Compared them against Hertz and MyCar has the advantage - booked & guaranteed to have our car availalble, no bait & switch - initially a Toyota RAV 4 AWD hybrid, good for 4 adults comfortably - upgraded/changed to a Toyota Highlander 4WD with hybrid engine that seats 6.  

Gasoline is $9 +/- per US gal in Iceland.  Be sure to add the recommended windshield, sun/stone protections and paint too (against sand storm)   MyCar has a rental office nearby, a 15 minutes from the cruise ship pier and is walkable.  Rental rates are high, but compare to private or NCL tours, a relative bargain and affordable.  

There are plenty of open air, outside parking on the pier next to the ships, free & overnight.