Early arrival at FLL post cruise checking luggage

volk904

We returned from our cruise Sunday with a 2 pm flight home.  We took our time leaving the ship and were one of the last few off at about 920.  We arrived at the Southwest Terminal at about 9:45 and were told they don’t accept luggage to check until 2 hours before the flight.  There was several hundred people sitting on the floor or standing waiting. I had never heard of only 2 hours early but found a nice SW person who said with some many cruisers arriving early they don’t have the capacity in their system to handle all the early luggage so that is the rule. I was not happy but then she said go back outside and curb check your luggage and they will take it. We went out and checked our bags left a nice tip, went through security quickly with pre check and found a nice place to kill time with food and drink.  Apparently the curb check porters sort and hold the luggage in their area and then give it to the airline in their 2 hour windows.   All of bags made it home. I was thinking if most people sitting and standing around knew they could curb check they would be doing it.  

Edited by volk904
  • Like 3

Glad you found a workaround!  That luggage check-in restriction at FLL isn't unusual on weekends during the high season but it varies by airline.  Here is the warning on the FLL's official website:

Due to peak cruise travel activity with multiple ships in South Florida ports, airlines at FLL may only be able to check your bags up to two hours before your scheduled flight. This is necessary to ensure that all passengers receive their luggage at their final destination. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding.

It is best to check with your airline before the cruise.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:07 AM, volk904 said:

We returned from our cruise Sunday with a 2 pm flight home.  We took our time leaving the ship and were one of the last few off at about 920.  We arrived at the Southwest Terminal at about 9:45 and were told they don’t accept luggage to check until 2 hours before the flight.  There was several hundred people sitting on the floor or standing waiting. I had never heard of only 2 hours early but found a nice SW person who said with some many cruisers arriving early they don’t have the capacity in their system to handle all the early luggage so that is the rule. I was not happy but then she said go back outside and curb check your luggage and they will take it. We went out and checked our bags left a nice tip, went through security quickly with pre check and found a nice place to kill time with food and drink.  Apparently the curb check porters sort and hold the luggage in their area and then give it to the airline in their 2 hour windows.   All of bags made it home. I was thinking if most people sitting and standing around knew they could curb check they would be doing it.  

They do know, they just don't want to tip when they can check for free