Start with the premise I know it's a bad idea.. traveling for a long weekend cruise from the US

blueskadoo

Hi everyone. First time here. I'm about 89% sure I'm going to be attempting this, but I want to know just how "crazy" my idea is. I live in the USA and am trying to make a long weekend (4 night) cruise from Southampton. My better half is doing several long cruises in Europe back to back, with one little short one in the mix. He's retired, so he has gobs of free time. Sadly, I am not, so every hour of vacation time matters. In an effort to break up his monotony of being alone, I decided I could hop from Orlando (MCO) to LGW for a long weekend cruise. Leave on a Wednesday evening, come back on the following Monday (when the cruise returns). There's a nonstop from Orlando that leaves at 5pm, and lands Thursday morning at 6:45am. From my research, it appears I can hop on a train and be at the Southampton cruise terminal in about 2 hours. And coming home has a 2pm departure that also seems like it would be satisfactory. I had initially considered a later outbound flight but it didn't land until after 10am, and I decided that was just too risky/tight time wise. I'll be traveling light since it's just a weekend trip (carry on only) so that should make things faster as well. 

My husband thinks I'm a little over-ambitious that I can make all this work. I think he's underestimating my ability to be agile and the excitement that comes with "jetting off to London" for the weekend. He has graciously agreed that an upgraded seat could be considered if that'd make this easier on me. 

So I come to you, my much more experienced and geographically familiar cruise friends. Am I off my rocker? Can this work? I am also comfortable enough with European travel that if I need to meet the ship at the first port (Amsterdam), I can do that if the cruise line would allow it. 

We have done Germany for a weekend before, had a wedding to attend and no vacation time, so it’s not crazy imo.  It’s really just potential flight delays that might be an issue.  Watch the current versions of your chosen flights for a few weeks, see how their on time percentages look.  That should give you an idea if you might be delayed or not.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

Am I off my rocker?

Probably.

I have visited America several times over the decades. Return flights have always been overnight with the consequence that I am wrecked for several days. It would ruin any possibility of enjoying a short cruise. 

The mechanics of your proposal are definitely doable if you are prepared to be wrecked. 

On 2/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, blueskadoo said:

Can this work? I am also comfortable enough with European travel that if I need to meet the ship at the first port (Amsterdam), I can do that if the cruise line would allow it. 

It looks fine to me, I would have no hesitation doing it, worst comes to worst and you unlucky enough to have such long flight delays you get a weekend in London an make a claim on your insurance for the missed cruise.
Go for it 👍
My only advice is keep a look at railway strike dates, they are striking a lot at the moment but they (by law) have to give good notice of the planned strike dates, you might have to take the bus between Southampton and Gatwick, its a long journey but comfortable.

6 hours ago, bookbabe said:

We have done Germany for a weekend before

We are doing that this weekend, leaving Southampton Friday evening after work to Hamburg, getting off the ship early and straight to the airport for an 11.30 flight home.
Will be home in time for a Sunday roast dinner 😂

• Like 1

Whilst the majority of  Cruise Critic's members wouldn't consider flying trans-Atlantic to arrive on sailing day, many man people do and cruise lines offer bus transfers to Southampton from LHR and LGW

Your post suggests that your flights are to/from London Gatwick, which has an hourly direct train service from inside Gatwick South terminal to Southampton (except on sundays, when you need a longer and more expensive ride involving a change of train - probably best to book ship's transfer for a sunday).

You'd need to decide whether to buy a cheap advance ticket (£6 one-way, only valid for the train time that you book) or buy a ticket on the day at £19. Probably best to buy an advance ticket which allows 90+ minutes from arrival for airport formalities at either terminal, but in the knowledge that a flight or airport delay would mean throwing away that cheap ticket.

You also need to keep an eye on https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/planned-engineering-work for any forecast delays or cancellations.

Same routine for the return to Gatwick.

Unassisted disembarkation (haul your own bags from your cabin) is usually about 7am, first tranche of assisted disembarkation at 7.30 - if you're allocated a later slot you can ask for your slot to be brought forward citing your onward travel arrangements. Disembarkation at Southampton is usually pretty slick, To Southampton Central train station is 5 to 25 minutes depending which cruise terminal  and whether you taxi or walk.

You probably have ship's transfer buses to fall back on. I used to drive cruise transfer buses, and at the airport cruise line reps would sometimes give me an envelope to hand over at the ship - folk who'd not booked the bus and whose fare would be added to their on-board account. Ships' reps in the Arrivals Hall at both terminals.

Cruise lines normally advise not to book their transfer buses to LGW for flights leaving before 1pm or 1.30pm. First buses leave the quay at about 8am drive time 2 to 3 hours.

So it's certainly do-able altho there are some small risks.

Would I fly trans-Atlantic for a four-day cruise? Not a hope in hell 😮, to me the minimum is 14 days.

But I'm not you.

JB 🙂

I would consider this but I often have to go to the States for only a few days work trip so it doesnt seem as bad. I would certainly make sure my insurance would cover a flight delay though! Or make sure there was another flight out of Orlando afterwards. That Gatwick flight is familytastic btw - you'll need good headphones.

On 2/14/2024 at 6:30 PM, Harters said:

I have visited America several times over the decades. Return flights have always been overnight with the consequence that I am wrecked for several days. It would ruin any possibility of enjoying a short cruise. 

The mechanics of your proposal are definitely doable if you are prepared to be wrecked. 

I think the US to UK sector is no too bad as I'm thinking you get to bed early on a short day.  The UK to US sector gives you five extra hours that day which is the problem.

Regards John

• Haha 1

well if you make it and worse case you could get a private hire from London to Southampton, at least the ship is a good place to have the jet lag. The flight from Orlando will probably land early in London by 30 min or so - cant land b4 6am or so. which will help buffer the landing time to train a little in your favour. the ships last boarding time is around 430pm normally so i think your good to go. If you do a self disembark at 7 to 8am and allow for all the transfers the flight back is also doable. Have decent travel insurance and go for it...Booking the train ticket on the web up to 12 weeks in advance will give you a good saving but you must catch that train - book a seat when you do if its able to be done.