Which of these two Australian/NZ Cruises would you prefer??

RetiredandTravel

We also plan on spending time in Sydney.. Your help is greatly appreciated

#1 - Sydney > Auckland (Nova)

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/sydney-to-auckland-sn250105016.html

#2 - Auckland > Melbourne (Nova)

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/auckland-to-melbourne-sn250121016.html

Unless you have already "done" Southland (NZ) , the choice is clear ; the NZ sounds are a wonder of the world and not to be missed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/sydney-to-auckland-sn250105016.html

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/auckland-to-melbourne-sn250121016.html

#1 goes to Milford Sound and Sydney, both not to be missed. I wasn’t there on a cruise, but I preferred the South Island of New Zealand to the North Island. 

• Like 2

thanks everyone.  The advantages to #2 is it goes to Hobart for two days, eaiser time of year to get there (Eastern US so we would probably leave 12/30 or 31 for #1) and it has less sea days.  Of course two sea days + two outstanding sights is better then four days of average sights. 

I've read that the cruise from Australia to/from NZ can be choppy.  Is there any difference between going to/from the North Island or the South Island?

Again great input.  We plan to book once the air schedules open up, some biz class prices are outlandish.

We will be joining the Nova on the 24/02/25 when she goes from Singapore to Hong Kong but have also booked cruise 1 but on the Moon. It's a port to port so our TA has arranged 3 nights in Sydney pre and 2 nights in Auckland post. You still get a day in Hobart on cruise 1.

Edited by Techno123

15 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

#1 for sure 

I am still trying to figure out why ANYONE in their right mind would want to sail to New Plymouth! - that whole itinerary is just weird…

• Thanks 1

R&T, have to join in the #1 chorus.  South island trumps north. More mountains and scenery.  Hope you can carve out time in NZ after your trip.  Milford is stunning, much smaller than Doubtful which is also stunning.  Depending on the time of year Whales can hang our at the mouth of each.

The pennuslia north of Aukland is worth a look see. Check out Russell, Bzynof Islands.  Perfect for a post trip reflection.

Keep us posted.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  Looks unanimous.  I think this Muse itinerary is probably best but we are on the Muse (10 day Alaska) in May/June and would really like to try the Nova.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/auckland-to-sydney-sm250202014.html

We have never been to Australia/NZ everyone's insights are invaluable.

• Like 1

Surely the answer has to be to do a back-to-back! 😃

As someone who lives in NZ (south island), I'd say you can't go wrong with either. I don't think #2 is getting the love it deserves, tbh. Overall good ports and an overnight in Napier is interesting and would allow more time to explore that beautiful region, especially if you enjoy wines, along with Gisborne. Some interesting excursion opportunities from the north island ports, especially Tauranga, with more opportunity to learn about Maori culture. While there may not be a lot to do in New Plymouth (hiking Taranaki?), some ports on #1 aren't exactly flash either (looking at you, Timaru, Dunedin, and Bluff...). 

For my tastes, #1 wins hands down for scenery and #2 for ports, but you will have a fantastic trip with either! (P.S. Since both itineraries stop in Napier: if you rent a car or arrange other transportation, lunch at Craggy Range followed by a visit to Te Mata Peak is quite something).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, RetiredandTravel said:

I hope you don’t mind if I provide a contrarian view.  My wife and I love to cruise and have taken dozens of them.  But if you really want to see New Zealand I would recommend doing what we did - take a land tour.  New Zealand has an incredibly diverse topography and you will only get a small sliver of it with destinations near the sea.  You really need to go to the interior (preferably on both the North and South Island) to do justice to this breathtaking country.  My wife and I took a tour from Aukland in the north to Dunedin in the south.  We still were able to get out in the sounds as we took a ferry from the north to the south and took a small boat cruise on Milford sound. Milford sound is not to be missed and the local tour boats get you in much deeper than a cruise ship can.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program☺️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

Milford sound is not to be missed and the local tour boats get you in much deeper than a cruise ship can.

But those local tour boats wont take you into the other two sounds, Doubtful and Dusky,  that cruise ships usually visit in addition to Milford

But I agree with your general observation that there is a lot to see in New Zealand and day trips off a cruise ship won't cover a lot of them - so a land tour is a good idea - but I wouldn't rule out a cruise as well

• Like 2

I'll poke my head in again and piggyback on great points made by others. South Island and specifically the Fiordland area is amazing and easy to explore on your own. There are many tour boats that do day trips to the sounds.  Half the enjoyment is the scenery getting to the boat.  An overnight on Milford was a highlight.  We used this company:

https://www.fiordlanddiscovery.co.nz/

You could do #2 and then pop down south for a quick land tour and really explore the gobsmacking scenery and experience the excellent hospitality New Zealanders are know for.  All those bonds you had to wrestle to get here, you deserve it!  If you want our road trip details, happy to share.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom F said:

Surely the answer has to be to do a back-to-back! 😃

As someone who lives in NZ (south island), I'd say you can't go wrong with either. I don't think #2 is getting the love it deserves, tbh. Overall good ports and an overnight in Napier is interesting and would allow more time to explore that beautiful region, especially if you enjoy wines, along with Gisborne. Some interesting excursion opportunities from the north island ports, especially Tauranga, with more opportunity to learn about Maori culture. While there may not be a lot to do in New Plymouth (hiking Taranaki?), some ports on #1 aren't exactly flash either (looking at you, Timaru, Dunedin, and Bluff...). 

For my tastes, #1 wins hands down for scenery and #2 for ports, but you will have a fantastic trip with either! (P.S. Since both itineraries stop in Napier: if you rent a car or arrange other transportation, lunch at Craggy Range followed by a visit to Te Mata Peak is quite something).

Very helpful.   The time of year may be the overriding factor for us and its good to hear the positive comments on #2.

Thanks Woodrowst, my initial thought was to do a land based trip to both Australia and New Zealand.  Its just too many stops and geographical distance for our taste.  Thats just our own perference.

Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I'll poke my head in again and piggyback on great points made by others. South Island and specifically the Fiordland area is amazing and easy to explore on your own. There are many tour boats that do day trips to the sounds.  Half the enjoyment is the scenery getting to the boat.  An overnight on Milford was a highlight.  We used this company:

https://www.fiordlanddiscovery.co.nz/

You could do #2 and then pop down south for a quick land tour and really explore the gobsmacking scenery and experience the excellent hospitality New Zealanders are know for.  All those bonds you had to wrestle to get here, you deserve it!  If you want our road trip details, happy to share.

Thank You HPD.  I would lke the road trip details.  Is there a town or two (resort) on the South Island we could use as a base and explore during the day?

20 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

my initial thought was to do a land based trip to both Australia and New Zealand.  Its just too many stops and geographical distance for our taste.

We too are considering Australia and New Zealand and are looking at doing the 2025 Grand Australia, then going back to to the New Zealand circumnavigation in Jan 2026, both aboard the Nova.  Most of the luxury land based trips we reviewed didn't include Tasmania and spend quite a bit of time flying from point A to point B.  We do have a concern about rough seas around New Zealand, not from a seasickness standpoint, but from a missed port standpoint.  It would be a shame to travel all that way only to see New Zealand's shoreline.  I think with the cancelled cruises in and around the middle east, it will put more of a demand on cruising in Asia and Oceania and these voyages are likely to sell out faster now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thank You HPD.  I would lke the road trip details.  Is there a town or two (resort) on the South Island we could use as a base and explore during the day?

Augh, had it all written up and disappeared.   Will get you details, I promise.

Caveat,  this trip dates pre Covid, things may have changed.

Dunedin

Started here, lots of places to say, charming town. Easy flight from Aukland, picked up car. 

Curio Bay
Drove through a hellacious storm so can't comment much on the drive. Got a place on the ocean to chill and explore for a few days, wild and remote. Loved it. Gave us a feel for the real people in the country. So warm and welcoming. 

Te Anau
You might begin your trip here if there are time constraints.
Great lodge and place to explore from.
They arranged for a private heli tour (must do). Picked us up from the lawn. We did the short version and wished we had done the long.
We did a  Dusky tour on our own, take the early boat, less crowded with tour busses. Dusky is much bigger than Milford.  There is a small boat ride and then a bus to get to Dusky, all crazy scenic and part of the experience.
Left our luggage and car at lodge and did an overnight on Milford.
These folks were fantastic.  We arranged a pick up at the lodge. They gave us a mini tour on the way to the boat with a few stops and very short hikes. Overnight on Milford was as perfect as it gets.  The fiord is actually quite small. To spend the evening and morning without crowds of tourists, the light, the silence, oh ya. Food and wine excellent.

Queenstown/Wanaka
Another stunning scenic drive. We had 3 nights booked but only spent one.  Things may have changed post Covid, but at the risk of offending some, we didn't want to stay in a town that catered 95% to Chinese tourists.  We hightailed it to Wanaka. Just charming.  As a side note, our friends who went to Mt. Cook felt the same as we did about Queenstown.  Perhaps others can chime in to what it's like post Covid.

Franz Joseph Glacier
Another gobsmacking scenic drive. Again lots of places to stop with mini hikes/walks. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 mile walks to see more amazing things. Longer ones if you like.

Stayed in a Deluxe TreeLodge. We loved this place. Simple and charming. Every morning they bring a delightful breakfast tray to your door. Did a glacier hike and had some great food at King Tiger. All very memorable.

Hokitka
One nighter.  A charming beach town known for its jade. I like jade.😃  You will find the usual tourist stuff, but also some excellent carvers.  FYI, a lot of the jade sold in NZ is from Alaska or Canada which isn't necessarily bad. Find some locals if you want NZ jade.  Plenty of little hotels on the beach with balconies to sip wine and watch the waves roll in.

Greymouth to Christchurch
Drove in morning to Greymouth to catch the train to Christchurch. Easy drive and you drop your car off next to train station.  Check in, drop your luggage and have a walk around and a pint.

Here things become a bit fuzzy for me, picked up a nasty bug. Between the weather and sleeping, didnt see much on the train and nothing of Christchurch. Folks do like the train and Christchurch, but I remember very little. Perhaps others can chime in.  

Christchurch to Aukland. Easy flight. You do need to transfer from domestic to international terminal which is a short walk, unless things have changed.   Air New Zealand had some great fares in biz. 

I hope this helps. Reach out if you have any more questions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No question, for me, #1.  I also would agree with those talking about land time.  DW and I have done extended driving trips on both North and South Islands and loved every minute.  We especially enjoyed spending 2 weeks driving South Island (we flew to Christ Church, too the Tranzalpine Train the Greymouth were we picked up our rental car).  In 50 years of extensive cruising/travel those two weeks on South Island would be among our favorite trips.  Cruising around NZ is fine, but it is driving when you can drive to glaciers, spend some time in Queenstown, etc.  Even driving down to Milford Sound and taking a very small boat tour was an entirely different experience than cruising the Sound on a cruise ship.

Hank

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Very helpful.   The time of year may be the overriding factor for us and its good to hear the positive comments on #2.

Thanks Woodrowst, my initial thought was to do a land based trip to both Australia and New Zealand.  Its just too many stops and geographical distance for our taste.  Thats just our own perference.

Thanks again.

I certainly respect your decision.  Let me say just one more thing and then I will be quiet.  In terms of stops and geographic distance in a land tour of NZ:  New Zealand was the one and only place I did not mind driving between stops.  The scenery is so magnificent that I could spend two hours just staring outside the window.  I have never said that about any other place I have visited.

• Like 2

I spent 3 weeks cycling in New Zealand; one week on the north island and two weeks on the south. For sheer natural beauty, New Zealand can’t be beat in my experience. (Although I’m off to Norway including the fjords in June so we’ll see.) We cycled into Wanaka and the weather was so perfect we were encouraged to take a flightseeing trip from there through Mount Aspiring National parks (wending our way through the mountain tops) to Milford Sound where we took a cruise boat into the Sound. This had been planned for the next day, but the weather was so perfect we did it from Wanaka instead of Queenstown. 

• Like 1