Does your occupation really matter?

Amber14

I have read the 2 threads posted on this X board and on Carnival board about the differences in the two cruise lines.

We have an X cruise booked but have only been on RCL - never X or Carnival. We chose our X cruise because of what we read on this board, the itinerary and the ship.

On the Carnival thread, they seemed to think X cruisers were snobs who asked what your occupation was 15 minutes after they met you. This can't be true, right?

I am a school librarian and my husband is a carpenter. I would hate to think we would be "looked down on" because we're not in the "money" professions.

I have never been asked what my occupation was especially during the 15 minutes we have met. Neither has my DH. In the course of conversation maybe the subject comes up about occupation but we have never had that problem where they are snobby and you know if they did I personally would not want to be around those kinds of people. It certainly would not damper my cruise. Go and have a great time.

Marilyn

It has nothing to do with being looked down on. Asking what one's occupation is is a standard conversation-starter/continuer in the United States. It's to the point where I'm embarassed to admit that I don't even have a job, because every party I go to or every cruise I take or every person I happen to speak to on a line or in a dentist's office or on a plane asks me shortly after starting the conversation "oh, and what do you do?" Sometimes I even make something up just so I can have something to say and seem like a productive member of society (I often say I'm a costume designer, because I did that briefly at one point).

Don't take it personally, is all I'm saying -- it's just American culture to ask what someone does, because it is American culture for people to strongly self-identify with their jobs. The standard questions are where you are from, what you do, and if you have kids. Then there are the standard cruise questions, which include those three plus if it is your first cruise, what you ate recently, and what you are planning on doing in the next port (or at the last one).

If I asked what your occupation was, and you said "librarian", it would give me something to talk about since my Mom is a librarian too! Or if you husband said "carpenter," I could start asking him questions about what kind of special woodworking projects he likes to do, or something like that. It's not about sussing you out to see if you're wealthy or not.

I have read the 2 threads posted on this X board and on Carnival board about the differences in the two cruise lines.

We have an X cruise booked but have only been on RCL - never X or Carnival. We chose our X cruise because of what we read on this board, the itinerary and the ship.

On the Carnival thread, they seemed to think X cruisers were snobs who asked what your occupation was 15 minutes after they met you. This can't be true, right?

I think a lot of that depends on how it is asked, and the intent.

I like to ask and answer that questions as, "What do you do?" That way, people can answer however they like, as a reflection of what they value and spend their time doing. It could be answered, "I'm a grandmother...I raise orchids...I play tennis...I sing in a barbershop quartet..."or whatever. As well as what your paid occupation happens to be, if you choose to mention that.

I think that MOST of the time, when people ask something along that line, they are just trying to learn a bit about you, see if there is any commonality, etc.

And I would think a librarian and carpenter are very interesting professions--I would have lots of questions to ask you, if you would be willing to talk about what you do. (If you don't want to, answer the intial question with some of your other passions, and we'll talk about that instead.)

I don't think there is any obvious correlation between occupation and income. My husband is a researcher, and we assumed he would be earning low academic salary. As it turned out, he happened to be one of the top people in the world in his field, and his employer is willing to pay a premium to keep him. But for many years, a relative who is a chef with only a two-year college degree made more money than my much-degreed husband.

I understand that it is a typical conversation starter. I do it too! It's just that on the Carnival board they made it seem like it was done for a more snobbish reason and not just as a standard question.

I figured that they were just trying to make X cruisers look bad. It's good to know that it's not like that.

We can't wait for our cruise and can't wait to meet all of you seasoned X cruisers.

Does occupation matter? NOOOO

The only place where you really will see a snobbiness here is the the atmosphere of the cruise. Most of us want a sophisticated classy cruise. We do tend to think less of the other lines as they tend to come in with a little more relaxed of casula atmosphere.

We tend to like the special touches that we don't get at home or can't get on a land based vacation. We don't want to feel like cattle. We like to sit back and be treated famously, not bombarded with announcement telling what is going on on the ship. After all we can read the dailys.

You know...

I've cruised on six different cruise lines...and the question "So, what do you do for a living?", or a varation of that, has come up in conversations quite often on every one of those lines...INCLUDING CARNIVAL!!!

Also questions that come up often ON EVERY LINE are:

Where do you live?

Do you have children?

Have you cruised before?

What are you doing in port tomorrow in ________?

How did you like the excursion you were on in port today in ____________?

How have you liked the cruise so far?

These all seem to be fairly ordinary topics of conversation on EVERY CRUISE LINE...

Why does someone ask what you do?

Because it may be grounds for some common interest...

It may give rise to some question that will make for lively conversation...

If I find myself at a dinner table with a bunch of fellow lawyers (as I did on my Southern Caribbean cruise last March), we may end up talking a lot about the law or the legal profession or law school...

If I find myself at a table with teachers or educational professionals (as we did this past July), I'll defer to my wife for most of her expertise and we'll all talk about schools and education...

If I'm at a table with someone in a construction trade, we'll talk about the building industry (I'm a real estate/construction lawyer, so I'm adept at that)...

If the table has a good mixture of occupations and none of us know much about each others' fields, it's a good opportunity to ask questions and learn...or for a more generalized conversation--Sports, travel, etc.

What would be the point of asking anyone their occupation in order to look downa at them?

Of course, yes, there are some people out there who are snobs...ut NO cruise line has a monopoly on them...and chances are MOST people are very pleasant while on a cruise...

Is there a different socio-economic demographic on Celebrity than found on other cruise lines? Not really...Most of the major cruise lines are actually priced in the same general area...and I'll guarantee that a suite on Carnival costs far more than an inside cabin on Celebrity...Every major cruise line has a wide range of incomes and occupations...

And what someone does or how much they make actually says very little about whether they're good dinner conversationalists or pleasant people...

Thanks everyone! I feel better.

I'm all for being treated famously!!! It can't come soon enough for me!

Make sure you tell us all about it when you come back! I love hearing what first-timers think!

As for how the "what do you do" question is being discussed on the Celebrity boards vis-a-vis Celebrity passengers...it seems to me that some people, no matter who they are or where they are, can and will sometimes turn innocent things into proof of whatever their argument or point of view is.

Hi Amber:) I hope you enjoy your cruise. When people ask

me what I do.....I say, "I work to cruise":D

I love Celebrity and the product they offer. I agree with the other

folks on here who say asking what a person does is normally part

of "regular conversation".

As Leela said, please come back and tell us how you liked your

experience!:)

hello,

I would like to meet a carpenter and a librarian on a cruise. From a carpenter I could learn what to do and not to do the next time I have a project that needs to get done around our house. And I am sure that I would make the carpenter laugh frequently and loudly when he hears about my sad attempts at getting these projects done (especially the projects involving a hammer and nails).

And from a librarian there would wonderful conversation about authors/books read and suggestions about authors/books to read.

I believe that Celebrity does attract a better educated but not necessairly snobbish passenger, nor can I say that Celebrity attracts a more moneyed

group of passengers than HAL, Princess, or RCCL. Celebrity cruises are successful because there is a European ambiance to their ships. John Chandris is from Greece (the founder of Celebrity Cruises) and thought that a cruise line featuring great food, good service and entertainment that includes classical music would be very successful especially if he could do all of this at a very reasonable price.

A carpenter and a librarian...I will buy you a glass of wine or a bottle of beer and then I will sit back and learn (can I ask a dumb question or two?).

I cannot imagine anyone looking down on a carpenter or a librarian. The former builds homes, churches, and schools. The latter builds minds.

You will have a great time on a cruise.

Fred

Too, I think it's possible that those who are less communicative may end up clamming up if they can't follow through on profession conversation once they find out that it is...and that may appear to be a judgement or aloofness. It's not like anyone is admitting to something unsavory!

But, I do bet there are some who are not "regular folk" and who do tend to immediately make the snap decision that you are not in their league of income, knowledge or class rank based on your profession. That is everywhere and cruising won't stop it. There is no escaping that kind of mindset, no matter what.

And to that....There is NO ONE who can make you feel inferior about who you are, except you yourself. ;)

Go have fun, we are all limited. Maybe by conversation techniques, or by an ability or outright luck to have a million dollar job, but by goodness we are all on a cruise ship and seem to Love the Sea and having fun!

I cannot imagine anyone looking down on a carpenter or a librarian. The former builds homes, churches, and schools. The latter builds minds.

Fred

Fred ~ what a great quote!!!!

Amber ~ I've been on numerous cruises on several lines (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL and Princess). I've yet to find any kind of snobby passengers on any of them. I find ALL people interesting, regardless of what they do. We have met fabulous people from all walks of life from all over the world on Celebrity ships. You will, too.

ENJOY

A very good friend of mine is one of those lowly carpenters. We spent alot of time looking down at James..when he pulls up next to you in our driveway, while he sits in his little sports car convertable. We look down on him, as we walk up to his pool and he is laying on a pool float, with a cold beer.

Lots of looking down. Oh, forgot, this lowly carpenter turned his hammer into a framing business...Just happens Tarrant County, Texas is the fastest growing county in the US...much of it thanks to our lowly friend, James the Carpenter!!!

Amber14, I agree with everything that everyone has said here. Almost every cruise we've been on several people have asked if I'm a police officer, including a recently retired New York City detective on his retirement cruise. He was suprised to find out that I work at a car dealership. Now we'll ask them what do you think I do for a living. I have held positions in several fields in all types of industries. To date I have never had anyone looke at me in any way that made me feel less intresting than them.

People choose the cruise line that fits their idea of what they expect on a cruise. If someone wants to be in a more refined atomsphere they choose Celebrity, if they want more of a highly charged atomsphere they choose Carnival. You will find snobs, well educated, rude, and good people on both lines. Don't let that stop you from choosing what your cruise line you would feel most comfortable with.

Please let us know what you think of Celebrity after you return. I like the response from Lois, "I work to cruise"

Kevin

.............When people ask

me what I do.....I say, "I work to cruise":D

I..............!:)

Lois R,

Excellent response! Reminds me of something my uncle used to say when my aunt would be taking a class to advance her degree; 'I work to live, not live to work.' There's a lot of people who do live to work. My Father is one of them, but he grew up during the depression and I've noticed over the years that everyone from his generation has the same work and save ethic.

I can't say that I live to work or work to live. I am employed, but when I begin to look at it as work, I'll move on to something else. After our three sons are grown my wife and I are planning to be employed on a cruise ship!

Amber,

School librarian and Carpenter are two fine occupations in my opinion. In my occupation I frequently ask people what they do for a living. In your husband's case I'd have to ask him to elaborate a little more because there are all kinds of carpentry specialties and I'm interested in all of them. I would make no assumptions about the amount of money either of you earn nor would it matter, unless I were asking specifically as part of my occupation; then I'd need to know if you had sick days or wanted to return to work ASAP.

hello,

I would like to meet a carpenter and a librarian on a cruise. From a carpenter I could learn what to do and not to do the next time I have a project that needs to get done around our house. And I am sure that I would make the carpenter laugh frequently and loudly when he hears about my sad attempts at getting these projects done (especially the projects involving a hammer and nails).

And from a librarian there would wonderful conversation about authors/books read and suggestions about authors/books to read.

I believe that Celebrity does attract a better educated but not necessairly snobbish passenger, nor can I say that Celebrity attracts a more moneyed

group of passengers than HAL, Princess, or RCCL. Celebrity cruises are successful because there is a European ambiance to their ships. John Chandris is from Greece (the founder of Celebrity Cruises) and thought that a cruise line featuring great food, good service and entertainment that includes classical music would be very successful especially if he could do all of this at a very reasonable price.

A carpenter and a librarian...I will buy you a glass of wine or a bottle of beer and then I will sit back and learn (can I ask a dumb question or two?).

Fred

Hi Fredr, you pose an interesting point.

Quote: ...I believe that Celebrity does attract a better educated but not necessarily snobbish passenger.

I have to take issue with the above statement. Unfortunately, we know that an education doesn't guarantee to broaden one's mind. Thus, the better-educated person is not synonymous with someone who is necessarily more tolerant or more open-minded in relation to others.

Perhaps a better measure of true intelligence is defined by how well or not we cope or function in our world with others that we meet from all walks of life and in the world of cruising. Such intelligence or unintelligence is common to all humans; therefore, it would seem that it must include those who travel on all cruiseships. One's title or occupation has little to do with it.

But your heart seems to be in the right place if not your use of the word better-educated to mean a notch up and above other fellow humans.

While I agree that asking what one does is pretty standard in the US, it is considered very rude by Europeans, or at least the very rich ones consider it rude. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to be on a boat, watching sailing races with a member of the Onassis clan (I didn't know it at the time) who was just incensed by Americans asking such a question. I explained the whole conversation starter thingy, but she was having none of it. She looked to her friend and said," I have known you for twelve years, our husbands race together, and I don't know what you do." (probably just jet set?) I was in my 20's then, and as I have aged, I have come to think that it IS rudeto ask someone what they do, in most social situations (a venue meant for networking is something else). It's like delving into the personal without even knowing the person. Most times, within the space of a decent length conversation, you will get an idea of another's interests -- that may lead them to volunteer "what they do" but I think it should be volunteered, not the result of a question.

It's not new that some people on Carnival board see Celebrity pax as snobs, and people here see Carnival pax as slobs. Funny part is that majority of them sailed only with one of this two lines.

I hate it, I hate any generalizations!!! How many times people suggested that just because I am from former USSR I drink vodka for a breakfast , or that I love cold weather because Siberia is in Russia... Yea... I usually ask if they love it too because it's cold in Minnesota or Alaska.

Sail with X and have fun, because I know you will. :D

While I agree that asking what one does is pretty standard in the US, it is considered very rude by Europeans, or at least the very rich ones consider it rude. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to be on a boat, watching sailing races with a member of the Onassis clan (I didn't know it at the time) who was just incensed by Americans asking such a question. I explained the whole conversation starter thingy, but she was having none of it. She looked to her friend and said," I have known you for twelve years, our husbands race together, and I don't know what you do." (probably just jet set?) I was in my 20's then, and as I have aged, I have come to think that it IS rudeto ask someone what they do, in most social situations (a venue meant for networking is something else). It's like delving into the personal without even knowing the person. Most times, within the space of a decent length conversation, you will get an idea of another's interests -- that may lead them to volunteer "what they do" but I think it should be volunteered, not the result of a question.

Yes! It is rude to ask people what they do for a living. Many of us on vacation want to leave work behind. Others are tired of being asked for free professional advice. And no, there's no stopping someone from asking, but don't expect to be considered socially adept when you do.

I am a school librarian and my husband is a carpenter. I would hate to think we would be "looked down on" because we're not in the "money" professions.

Paranoia - big destroyia...

Strange people. Posting strange things.

When your out at the pool relaxing you don't carry tags on you.

People will take you for what you are. Friendly is your best asset.

I've not been tossed overboard for my ship antics yet.

Chicagolass,

You are an excellent writer and I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I have the greatest respect for carpenters and librarians, and I want our friend the librarian to take a Celebrity cruise. I am sure that she and her husband will have a great time. Though I did go to college, I come from a working class background and I have done a considerable amount of very hard, physical work such as unloading boxcars.

You are absolutely right that better educated people should not be considered superior to anyone else, especially in terms of character, kindness, and intelligence. The fact is though that Celebrity seems to attract persons with higher than average educational backgrounds. I have been on three Celebrity cruises. The first was a cruise to Alaska and at our table was another family - the father and son were civil engineers and owners of a world wide water treatment consulting company. The second was a cruise through the Panama Canal and at our table was a CPA, and another person who was educated as a Physicist. The third wa a cruise to Mexico and at our table was a retired vice president of a brewery in England who had been educated as an electrical engineer. All were down to earth , friendly, and fun loving regular folks.

Please keep contributing to these boards.

Fred

Table mates have ranged from a worker at Walmart, a retired policeman, a nurse, a retired post office investigator, a meterorologist, a parochial school teacher, a secretary, a commerial artist, a real estate agent, music teacher, college student, travel agent, an airline employee, a farmer who raised pigs and always ordered the pork dish, a contractor, "in finance" and some I don't know the occupations of.

Most people can look at an individual and tell whether or not that person is a slob or a snob.

So why does an occupation need to be a concern.

Just tell them that you do not have to work, but rather you do volunteer work at the local animal shelter. And simply ask back by the way how much volunteer work do you do?

I had experienced this occupation "snobbery" on my last Celebrity cruise.

Unfortunately there are some people out in the world that seem to think that what your occupation is, is a reflection on you as a person. These people are shallow and are not worth wasting time on. If anyone asks what your occuation is, tell them - do not be embarrassed by what you, as a person, are contributing to the world.

Archived