Le Petit Chef and dietary restrictions

Tweedy

I would love to try Le Petit Chef on our upcoming cruise.

It's a girls trip (Mom and two daughters).  My sister has never been on a cruise and we are taking her for her 50th to Alaska.  However, she has dietary restrictions ~ gluten free, no garlic/onions, lactose free plus other restrictions.  Has anyone done this specialty restaurant with dietary restrictions and if so, how did it go?

It would be nice to do this on her birthday but I also don't want her to have any GI issues that could be avoided by sticking to the main dining room.  I will be reaching out to the Special Needs department so they have her information on file.

2 hours ago, Tweedy said:

I would love to try Le Petit Chef on our upcoming cruise.

It's a girls trip (Mom and two daughters).  My sister has never been on a cruise and we are taking her for her 50th to Alaska.  However, she has dietary restrictions ~ gluten free, no garlic/onions, lactose free plus other restrictions.  Has anyone done this specialty restaurant with dietary restrictions and if so, how did it go?

It would be nice to do this on her birthday but I also don't want her to have any GI issues that could be avoided by sticking to the main dining room.  I will be reaching out to the Special Needs department so they have her information on file.

You would need to speak to the Matre de and chef about these restrictions.  The menu is a set menu but they have done some specials with people with restrictions.  Not something you can get a clear answer to you get onboard and speak to them.  

I have done this as with both Gluten and Lactose allergies.  We let them know when booking that I had the restrictions so they were prepared.
Dessert I was offered sorbet and fruit.  The sauces were slightly different with the other courses that I picked but on the whole I had things very similar to my husband's meal or others.

• Like 2

In 2022 we went to the Maitre D' on day 1 when reservation was several days in advance.  They accomodated us but it felt like we were imposing on them and best we could get was a maybe.  Huge sigh from the guy, not a friendly response.    Went there night before to confirm and different guy was at podium.  He acknowledged the request from day 1 and stated we would be accomodated in a friendly manner.  

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:43 PM, Suzi66 said:

I have done this as with both Gluten and Lactose allergies.  We let them know when booking that I had the restrictions so they were prepared.
Dessert I was offered sorbet and fruit.  The sauces were slightly different with the other courses that I picked but on the whole I had things very similar to my husband's meal or others.

Thank you.  My sister has so many food restrictions I'm now thinking we do this restaurant when she isn't with us.  It may just be too much for a set menu.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:39 AM, mtempelaar said:

In 2022 we went to the Maitre D' on day 1 when reservation was several days in advance.  They accomodated us but it felt like we were imposing on them and best we could get was a maybe.  Huge sigh from the guy, not a friendly response.    Went there night before to confirm and different guy was at podium.  He acknowledged the request from day 1 and stated we would be accomodated in a friendly manner.  

What you have pointed out above is how I don't want her to feel on her very first cruise so I may just scratch my idea.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tweedy said:

What you have pointed out above is how I don't want her to feel on her very first cruise so I may just scratch my idea.

That makes me sad 😞 Quite honestly the show is great, but the food is average and the meal takes a long time since everyone at all tables is sync'd together.   The menu is a set one with limited options.  You can try though and see what they say.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

That makes me sad 😞 Quite honestly the show is great, but the food is average and the meal takes a long time since everyone at all tables is sync'd together.   The menu is a set one with limited options.  You can try though and see what they say.  

I don't even think she'll miss it if she doesn't know it's an option.  This is a freebie cruise for her since Mom and I are paying for it.  We are ok with the main dining room for our dinner meals. 🙂  Appreciate your input though.

The thing to know about the menu / show (if not already aware) is that the food is paired specifically with the show (like the show may feature a character fishing in the sea or something like that, then you are served some fish - I meanin a fun Pixar type thing - not graphic realistic way if that makes sense).  So to handle special dinner requests - yes, they can do it, but the food won't match the theme of the show if that makes sense.  So she could still follow along the theme/food by watching what the rest of you are served, but would she find it as much fun if her food did not match the theme?  If she would still have fun - then go for it.

Edited by Shiba_Lover

3 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

The thing to know about the menu / show (if not already aware) is that the food is paired specifically with the show (like the show may feature a character fishing in the sea or something like that, then you are served some fish - I meanin a fun Pixar type thing - not graphic realistic way if that makes sense).

Please do not sully the Pixar name by comparing it to LPC's amateurish attempt.

On 2/20/2024 at 5:46 PM, Tweedy said:

Thank you.  My sister has so many food restrictions I'm now thinking we do this restaurant when she isn't with us.  It may just be too much for a set menu.

I have lots of food restrictions and have tried Le Petit Chef twice.  For me, it ends up being too much focus on what I can't have, meaning not as much fun, and it's pricey for what I can have.  So agree, it may not be the best choice for your sister.  I find all the other specialty restaurants are a better fit, especially with advance notice.

We have never done LPC, but have some OBC to burn (old booking) and we booked it.  I have a food allergy to one increasingly pervasive cheap ingredient.  After reading this, LPC may not be a good fit for me.  I agree with @goofysmom99, when the entire focus of the meal becomes what you can’t eat, it takes the joy away.  On our last X cruise, one night I was told there was no entree I could eat in the main dining room 😢.  Ironically, this was the first cruise on any line where it became a big issue.