Is Moving From a Spa Interior to an Oceanview Considered a Downgrade?

aggie182

We have a spa interior booked for an upcoming trip and we decided we'd call and pay a few hundred extra bucks to move in to an oceanview cabin.  We booked directly through Carnival and when I made the call, they said they couldn't do it because it was a downgrade.  That seems odd to me, I figure they'd want our extra money.  We'd prefer the window over the spa amenities but it sounds like we'd have to step up to a balcony for the "view".

Has anyone had a similar situation?

I suppose that they consider the spa inside a higher category than an ocean view... I was booked in a regular inside on deck 10 recently, and they sent me offers to "upgrade" to an ocean view, but in my mind that was a "downgrade" to me, due to the deck 1 location... If I were you I'd just be happy with the spa inside unless you can score a balcony for a decent price.

Just curious why you booked a spa interior in the first place, because they are pricier than a regular interior.  Was it the location?  We had spa interiors on Sunshine and loved the access to Serenity.  Have a great cruise either way!!👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I suppose that they consider the spa inside a higher category than an ocean view... I was booked in a regular inside on deck 10 recently, and they sent me offers to "upgrade" to an ocean view, but in my mind that was a "downgrade" to me, due to the deck 1 location... If I were you I'd just be happy with the spa inside unless you can score a balcony for a decent price.

We'll be happy either way.  They could stick us in any cabin on the boat and we'd make the best of it and have a good time.

34 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Just curious why you booked a spa interior in the first place, because they are pricier than a regular interior.  Was it the location?  We had spa interiors on Sunshine and loved the access to Serenity.  Have a great cruise either way!!👍

We booked the spa interior becuase when we booked it, it wasn't much more than a regular interior.  We had a spa balcony on the Dream in the past and didn't utilize the spa amenities very much, even though we thought we would.  We're on the Breeze this trip and the oceanview that we're wanting is one of the ones facing backwards.  We had an aft oceanview on the Ecstasy on our last kids-free cruise a few years ago, and we really enjoyed the view.  If this room was available when we booked, we probably would have nabbed it, but it wasn't available then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yes.  You can tell by the Room codes, the higher number, the upgrade

On Breeze an Spa Interior is a 4S.  The lowest Oceanview is a 6A.  

I would have though a category starting with a 6 was higher than a inside starting with a 4. I'm surprised. I'd call and ask again,,sometimes you get a different answer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I would have though a category starting with a 6 was higher than a inside starting with a 4. I'm surprised. I'd call and ask again,,sometimes you get a different answer.

Nope..  Cove Balconies are 7s Balconies are 8s  Premium Balconies are 9s

Upper/Lowers are 1s.  Then A,B,C etc to differentiae  with each category.

Edited by Elaine5715

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yes.  You can tell by the Room codes, the higher number, the upgrade

On Breeze an Spa Interior is a 4S.  The lowest Oceanview is a 6A.  

So according to this, Oceanview would be an upgrade from a Spa interior.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Nope..  Cove Balconies are 7s Balconies are 8s  Premium Balconies are 9s

Upper/Lowers are 1s.  Then A,B,C etc to differentiae  with each category.

You are contradicting yourself.

28 minutes ago, jonboy9756 said:

So according to this, Oceanview would be an upgrade from a Spa interior.

I agree with you. A 6 is a higher category than a 4.  Like a balcony would be more than a 6 etc. A inside should be a lower category than a ov. You and I agree.

• Like 2

The Spa interior is only good if you like the amenities. If you don't use them then the spa area is not worth it. My wife and I love them but you have to be on the right ships for them to be worth it in my opinion. Oceanview is great if you don't use the spa facilities but I don't think of it as an upgrade.

My wife told me to quit pouting and to upgrade to a balcony.  Done!

I appreciate the reponses.  It felt weird to me that an Oceanview was considered a downgrade from a Spa Interior according to the person I talked to on the phone.

Seems like some agreed and some disagreed.  

• Like 4

I only see one way around this to not lose too much $$$. Put a hold on the room you want. Cancel/move this booking with the spa interior to another cruise for nominal fee, once that is done go in and pay deposit on the room you put on hold. You’ll wind up with another cruise….win win?